Top Shelf Aquatics

How to avoid Palytoxin?

ebrennan

Hello, I have been in the beginning phase of starting a nano reef tank and have been researching corals. And recently I ran into a thing called Palytoxin and it is scaring the crap out of me. I read that only zoanthids carry it but I have also read stories of people getting poisoned from live rock. What corals have the risk of having Palytoxin and how can I make sure any live rock I get is not infected? Thanks

• Christopher Marks changed the title to How to avoid Palytoxin?
  • Christopher Marks featured this topic
HarryPotter

I drank a few gallons of palytoxin, I think thats why I ended up like this. 

Palytoxin is not an issue unless you are eating palythoa or boiling your rocks. Don't do either and you wont have a problem. Search this forum and you will see hundreds of posts about it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
56 minutes ago, ebrennan said:

Hello, I have been in the beginning phase of starting a nano reef tank and have been researching corals. And recently I ran into a thing called Palytoxin and it is scaring the crap out of me. I read that only zoanthids carry it but I have also read stories of people getting poisoned from live rock. What corals have the risk of having Palytoxin and how can I make sure any live rock I get is not infected? Thanks

15 years in this hobby and palys and zoas are some of my favorite. Jus be sure to handle anything that's pousinous with caution and rinse your hands really well BEFORE and AFTER you put your hands in the tank...Every time!

I used to propionate and my favorite were zoa hybrids back when Nuclear Greens were considered super rare haha... 

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

I have been surprised by the number of news stories about palytoxin poisoning in the past year after never really hearing about it outside of forums. I suppose it's easier for word to spread these days, and many hobbyists are active on social media. Here was a recent one: https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/local/meridian-man-blinded-dog-killed-after-fishtank-coral-releases-toxin/277-557670658.

Being familiar with what you're handling is important, there's a number of simple precautions you can take when handling or fragging zoanthids. The common issue in these new stories seems to be boiling old live rock or vigorously scrubbing rock with dried zoanthids.

Good question @ebrennan, welcome to the community! 👋

3 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I have been surprised by the number of news stories about palytoxin poisoning in the past year after never really hearing about it outside of forums. I suppose it's easier for word to spread these days, and many hobbyists are active on social media. Here was a recent one: https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/local/meridian-man-blinded-dog-killed-after-fishtank-coral-releases-toxin/277-557670658.

Being familiar with what you're handling is important, there's a number of simple precautions you can take when handling or fragging zoanthids. The common issue in these new stories seems to be boiling old live rock or vigorously scrubbing rock with dried zoanthids.

Good question @ebrennan, welcome to the community! 👋

A518CA20-374E-40E4-BB0C-B1F2DDDEB954.gif

DF1CC00F-341C-456A-89FB-485DEAF45D55.gif

• Haha 3

Yes Def ^^

I wonder if it's bc the cost of zoas is so low now, everyone can buy them. They've spread profusely...even to the point of being unwanted on live rock 😞

To prevent palytoxin get dry rock and don't have any zoas or paly's.

Unfortunately, there are many toxins and bacteria that you may encounter in SW, paly is considered one of the worst.

But just a scratch can lead to infection.

The only 100% way to avoid it all- no aquarium.