inTank Media Baskets

Life span of Yellow Watchman Goby

JimVision

Does anyone know the lifespan of a Yellow Watchman Goby?

I’ve had mine now for 7 years.  Do small fish like this live over a decade?

Thanks!

Jim

436188B8-C93A-4F5F-8046-DEA2C166EB5C.jpeg

17151877-E950-457E-9A67-2FF2C5330C3B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I don't know but he is beautiful! 🙂 Some clowns live to be around 30 and I think tangs can make it to 35? or 40?

Our yellow watchman goby in my works 300G display tank is probably 12-15 years old now and is going strong! My guess with gobys with max 15-20 in the little glass box we give them maybe 30 in the wild. 

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

I don't know but he is beautiful! 🙂 Some clowns live to be around 30 and I think tangs can make it to 35? or 40?

30 years for a clown is crazy! The longest I have seen a clown in a tank living is 18 which is pretty damn good.

11 hours ago, 1967type1 said:

Our yellow watchman goby in my works 300G display tank is probably 12-15 years old now and is going strong! My guess with gobys with max 15-20 in the little glass box we give them maybe 30 in the wild. 

30 years for a clown is crazy! The longest I have seen a clown in a tank living is 18 which is pretty damn good.

Interesting thought!  Assuming parameters are correct, do fish live longer in aquariums due to fewer predators and storms?  Or do they live longer in the wild?

Then again, perhaps our aquariums are more stable when compared to the wild due to climate change.

1 hour ago, JimVision said:

Interesting thought!  Assuming parameters are correct, do fish live longer in aquariums due to fewer predators and storms?  Or do they live longer in the wild?

Then again, perhaps our aquariums are more stable when compared to the wild due to climate change.

Fish definitely do not live longer in the aquarium than in the wild. Our tanks are far less stable than the ocean and even though there are most likely not predators they do live longer in the ocean, as long as they aren’t another’s fish lunch. 

19 hours ago, 1967type1 said:

Fish definitely do not live longer in the aquarium than in the wild. Our tanks are far less stable than the ocean and even though there are most likely not predators they do live longer in the ocean, as long as they aren’t another’s fish lunch. 

Would you be able to give references?  I know it’s possible to estimate the age of a fish via their scales.  But I have not been able to find supporting evidence on longevity when comparing fish in captivity vs in the wild.

• Like 1