Coral Vue Hydros

MP10 vs IM Wavelink vs Aqamai Wave Pump

Stoops718

I've used both the MP-10 and the Aqamai KPS in my 10g tank. They're really not comparable, it's kind of like asking whether a Mustang is better than a Porsche. Not only are the prices significantly different, they're really built to different design priorities.

Warning, long comparison coming, for those who care. Bottom line up front: the MP10 is a better pump in many ways, but the KPS is a perfectly good option, albeit with significant limitations that will only matter for some people. Only you can decide if the extra cost is worth it for you.

Here's my take on the MP-10:

- Cost: almost twice the cost of the KPS

- Flow: more than twice as powerful as the KPS, and more options for flow control. Fairly wide, variable flow, but can't be aimed.

- Size: doesn't stick out as far into the tank, but wider around. Has a dry side that is visible outside the tank.

- Control: has a dedicated controller with six million modes and parameters, and has a wireless option for control by Apex or Ecotech software, including from the Internet. Multiple units can work together in sync with each other.

KPS:

- Cost: half the cost of the MP10 (but still well over $100, so really not in the same price range as a Jebao)

- Flow: way way less than the MP10. In my tank, I ran the MP10 at 70%, and I'd estimate the flow at that setting is double the KPS at 100%. Flow can be aimed, though, making it better for targeting a specific spot in the tank.

- Size: smaller than the MP10 overall, has a small magnet on the outside. But there is a wire that goes down into the tank and is visible.

- Control: KPS really loses here, because their software is just terrible. Difficult to use, fewer options, and the way you have to set it up is a massive pain in the butt. And it only works from my old Galaxy S7, not the newer S8. It only runs from your phone, and only by switching the phone to its own wireless network, so you have to be right there with it.

So it really comes down to a few personal preferences:

- The KPS won't provide enough flow for all cases, especially when SPS starts growing and blocking flow like in my tank.

- The MP10 is expensive and just not worth it for some people.

- What do you hate more? The ugly wire inside the tank, or the ugly dry side outside the tank?

- Do you just want to turn it on a let it run? The KPS software is tolerable in that case. 

- The kps is a little less intrusive in the tank, especially because it can be mounted in an upper corner of the tank with the head pointed towards the middle. On the other hand, the MP10 could mounted in the same spot if you're willing to keep the flow as low as the KPS. Otherwise it will suck air from the surface of the tank if you mount it too high.

For me, I will probably switch back to the MP10. I'm already seeing dead spots on the sand in the corners that I never had with the MP10, and that's with the KPS at 100%. I could live with the bad software, but for sps, flow is super important and the KPS just isn't strong enough for the long haul.

• Like 4
A Little Blue
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

I've used both the MP-10 and the Aqamai KPS in my 10g tank. They're really not comparable, it's kind of like asking whether a Mustang is better than a Porsche. Not only are the prices significantly different, they're really built to different design priorities.

Warning, long comparison coming, for those who care. Bottom line up front: the MP10 is a better pump in many ways, but the KPS is a perfectly good option, albeit with significant limitations that will only matter for some people. Only you can decide if the extra cost is worth it for you.

Here's my take on the MP-10:

- Cost: almost twice the cost of the KPS

- Flow: more than twice as powerful as the KPS, and more options for flow control. Fairly wide, variable flow, but can't be aimed.

- Size: doesn't stick out as far into the tank, but wider around. Has a dry side that is visible outside the tank.

- Control: has a dedicated controller with six million modes and parameters, and has a wireless option for control by Apex or Ecotech software, including from the Internet. Multiple units can work together in sync with each other.

KPS:

- Cost: half the cost of the MP10 (but still well over $100, so really not in the same price range as a Jebao)

- Flow: way way less than the MP10. In my tank, I ran the MP10 at 70%, and I'd estimate the flow at that setting is double the KPS at 100%. Flow can be aimed, though, making it better for targeting a specific spot in the tank.

- Size: smaller than the MP10 overall, has a small magnet on the outside. But there is a wire that goes down into the tank and is visible.

- Control: KPS really loses here, because their software is just terrible. Difficult to use, fewer options, and the way you have to set it up is a massive pain in the butt. And it only works from my old Galaxy S7, not the newer S8. It only runs from your phone, and only by switching the phone to its own wireless network, so you have to be right there with it.

So it really comes down to a few personal preferences:

- The KPS won't provide enough flow for all cases, especially when SPS starts growing and blocking flow like in my tank.

- The MP10 is expensive and just not worth it for some people.

- What do you hate more? The ugly wire inside the tank, or the ugly dry side outside the tank?

- Do you just want to turn it on a let it run? The KPS software is tolerable in that case. 

- The kps is a little less intrusive in the tank, especially because it can be mounted in an upper corner of the tank with the head pointed towards the middle. On the other hand, the MP10 could mounted in the same spot if you're willing to keep the flow as low as the KPS. Otherwise it will suck air from the surface of the tank if you mount it too high.

For me, I will probably switch back to the MP10. I'm already seeing dead spots on the sand in the corners that I never had with the MP10, and that's with the KPS at 100%. I could live with the bad software, but for sps, flow is super important and the KPS just isn't strong enough for the long haul.

When you say “switching the phone to its own wireless network”, do you mean KPS wireless network? Because there is way around it that I just found out about. And just figured out how to remotely turn off the pump on the fly with a single click. 

Another plus for KPS and disadvantage for MP10 is, that it can be mounted on back, filtration compartment wall of AIO tanks if that’s desired. 

As to the flow, you’re right. But that’s pretty obvious based purely on size of the pump/propellers. 

As to how obstructive in the tank these pumps are? Well, I got them both on my tank at the same time, so you can judge for yourself. (I’ll include a pic below)

Flow on KPS is in fact more narrow. 

Noise on my older MP10 is annoying in comparison to KPS which is very quiet. 

At the end, I would say that single KPS is suitable for tanks up to 20g (depends on the corals) and everyone with sensible budget. KPS has bigger wavemaker in their lineup if you need more flow. 

KPS upper left side

MP10 bottom right

C39DDC0B-4718-406F-B3FF-395E40CFE880.thumb.jpeg.362e1cfaeec430861b339d8cd83c357c.jpeg

• Like 1

I have the kps. It's my favourite out of all the powerheads I have used. I have not used an MP10 so I can't compare it to that.

I haven't had any issues with connecting like others have. Set it up and it has been great. 

I run mine in a 25g and can't run it at 100% with lps. I lost a torch from too much flow and the vast majority of my corals retracted except the sps.

Once I played with the various settings I finally got it to a point where the corals are happy.

What I like is that you can customize the flow to work for your individual needs.

The price was great compared to  a few of the more expensive brands. I personally can't spend $390 on a wavemaker.

I also like that it can be aimed in various directions.

• Like 1
On 5/25/2018 at 12:34 AM, A Little Blue said:

When you say “switching the phone to its own wireless network”, do you mean KPS wireless network? Because there is way around it that I just found out about. And just figured out how to remotely turn off the pump on the fly with a single click. 

Another plus for KPS and disadvantage for MP10 is, that it can be mounted on back, filtration compartment wall of AIO tanks if that’s desired. 

As to the flow, you’re right. But that’s pretty obvious based purely on size of the pump/propellers. 

As to how obstructive in the tank these pumps are? Well, I got them both on my tank at the same time, so you can judge for yourself. (I’ll include a pic below)

Flow on KPS is in fact more narrow. 

Noise on my older MP10 is annoying in comparison to KPS which is very quiet. 

At the end, I would say that single KPS is suitable for tanks up to 20g (depends on the corals) and everyone with sensible budget. KPS has bigger wavemaker in their lineup if you need more flow. 

KPS upper left side

MP10 bottom right

C39DDC0B-4718-406F-B3FF-395E40CFE880.thumb.jpeg.362e1cfaeec430861b339d8cd83c357c.jpeg

That's great information! Can you please share the tips you figured out on the networking? 

A Little Blue
3 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

That's great information! Can you please share the tips you figured out on the networking? 

Let me start with this question......

Did you had to switch from your home network to KPS network every time you needed to make changes in schedule, modes and such? 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Let me start with this question......

Did you had to switch from your home network to KPS network every time you needed to make changes in schedule, modes and such? 

I had to do that to get it connected the first time. Unfortunately, it didn't work/connect at all on my Galaxy S8 running Android 8.0 (Oreo). But I remembered having a similar problem getting wireless to work on the Kamoer doser. So I installed the app on my old Galaxy S7 running Android 7.0 (Nougat). 

On the Kamoer doser, it connects to the home wireless network during setup, and then their app works fine on the Galaxy S8. You just have to run the initial setup on the older version of Android. But the KPS app won't run at all on the S8 because it can never get through the initial connection stage in the app. 

So I have to run the app from my old phone...which sucks because I'd like to sell the old phone 🙂

Just to be clear - the app (on the phone that works) appears to access the KPS network transparently without requiring a manual change of the phone's wireless network, so that's good. I suspect that's what you are talking about when you said you figured out how to work around the network switching?

8 hours ago, Stoops718 said:

@teenyreef what settings are/were you using for the kps?

My profile is set up to run Random Flow 20%/100% at all times.

A Little Blue
35 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I had to do that to get it connected the first time. Unfortunately, it didn't work/connect at all on my Galaxy S8 running Android 8.0 (Oreo). But I remembered having a similar problem getting wireless to work on the Kamoer doser. So I installed the app on my old Galaxy S7 running Android 7.0 (Nougat). 

On the Kamoer doser, it connects to the home wireless network during setup, and then their app works fine on the Galaxy S8. You just have to run the initial setup on the older version of Android. But the KPS app won't run at all on the S8 because it can never get through the initial connection stage in the app. 

So I have to run the app from my old phone...which sucks because I'd like to sell the old phone 🙂

Just to be clear - the app (on the phone that works) appears to access the KPS network transparently without requiring a manual change of the phone's wireless network, so that's good. I suspect that's what you are talking about when you said you figured out how to work around the network switching?

Yes, that’s what I meant. Unfortunately, I have no experience with Android. What I have noticed is:

1) I had to turn off “auto-join” feature of my personal home network on my iPhone WiFi/network settings. Otherwise, my home network would bump off KPS network (and switch automatically from KPS to Home network within a minute or so) during initial setup or anytime I chose KPS network from WiFi network menu. 

2) Once you are on KPS network, I would go about updating system in app menu and sync. 

3) then you can go to manage devices where you can tweak everything from device name, pump programs and most importantly, merging KPS network with your home network (this feature is next to pump name in preferences menu). 

You can try to change the name of the pump and then hit network connection. 

It should ask you to choose network you want your KPS to run on from list of all available wireless networks. Pick your home network and than it should ask you for its password (your home network password). Once it’s entered, it should initiate merge/connection. Once it is done, you won’t see KPS network in your WiFi network menu on your phone’s WiFi settings. 

That’s basically when the process ends. 

Then you have full control of your pump without network issues and app glitches. 

I might have another pump or two coming soon and will try to make a video  tuturial regarding setup. 

48 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Yes, that’s what I meant. Unfortunately, I have no experience with Android. What I have noticed is:

1) I had to turn off “auto-join” feature of my personal home network on my iPhone WiFi/network settings. Otherwise, my home network would bump off KPS network (and switch automatically from KPS to Home network within a minute or so) during initial setup or anytime I chose KPS network from WiFi network menu. 

2) Once you are on KPS network, I would go about updating system in app menu and sync. 

3) then you can go to manage devices where you can tweak everything from device name, pump programs and most importantly, merging KPS network with your home network (this feature is next to pump name in preferences menu). 

You can try to change the name of the pump and then hit network connection. 

It should ask you to choose network you want your KPS to run on from list of all available wireless networks. Pick your home network and than it should ask you for its password (your home network password). Once it’s entered, it should initiate merge/connection. Once it is done, you won’t see KPS network in your WiFi network menu on your phone’s WiFi settings. 

That’s basically when the process ends. 

Then you have full control of your pump without network issues and app glitches. 

I might have another pump or two coming soon and will try to make a video  tuturial regarding setup. 

Thanks, that's very helpful! I did try every variation of disabling auto join networks, disabling cellular data, etc, with no joy. It's almost certainly something they didn't test as thoroughly on Android. 

The network merge thing is interesting, that's the same thing my Kamoer doser does. I didn't look for it because it wasn't shown in the installation instructions, but I'll go check it out when I get back to my Galaxy S7. 

A Little Blue
8 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks, that's very helpful! I did try every variation of disabling auto join networks, disabling cellular data, etc, with no joy. It's almost certainly something they didn't test as thoroughly on Android. 

The network merge thing is interesting, that's the same thing my Kamoer doser does. I didn't look for it because it wasn't shown in the installation instructions, but I'll go check it out when I get back to my Galaxy S7. 

I have to say, instructions are very poor. 

And yes, KPS should work (network-wise) just like your doser. Once it merges, the workflow and functions are seamlessly integrated. Perhaps there is another way around it on Android? Unfortunately, I can’t help you with that..... the only Android in the house is Am@zon Fire tablet. Do you know if app can be controlled via tablet or it has to be smartphone exclusively? And were you able to update the software from within the KPS app? Perhaps they are aware of it and came up with updates to address it......

edit

just found out that tablets are supported. So, when another KPS arrives, I’ll try to set it up with my AmazFire and see how that works. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I have to say, instructions are very poor. 

And yes, KPS should work (network-wise) just like your doser. Once it merges, the workflow and functions are seamlessly integrated. Perhaps there is another way around it on Android? Unfortunately, I can’t help you with that..... the only Android in the house is Am@zon Fire tablet. Do you know if app can be controlled via tablet or it has to be smartphone exclusively? And were you able to update the software from within the KPS app? Perhaps they are aware of it and came up with updates to address it......

I just received the KPS pump yesterday and got it set up with minimal issues (using apple not android though) I agree the overall instructions are not very user friendly for the setup. To register the device you have to be on the home network and then to set up the device you have to switch over to the KPS network which isnt really explained in the instructions. When I was trying to register the device under the KPS network I would get an error

A Little Blue
4 minutes ago, Zach W said:

I just received the KPS pump yesterday and got it set up with minimal issues (using apple not android though) I agree the overall instructions are not very user friendly for the setup. To register the device you have to be on the home network and then to set up the device you have to switch over to the KPS network which isnt really explained in the instructions. When I was trying to register the device under the KPS network I would get an error

To operate KPS pump, are you using app on your home network or KPS network?

Just now, A Little Blue said:

To operate KPS pump, are you using app on your home network or KPS network?

When I was changing the modes on the pump last night I was using the KPS network. I have not tried to make changes over my home network though. I can experiment more after work today to see what I can and cannot do.  

A Little Blue
5 minutes ago, Zach W said:

When I was changing the modes on the pump last night I was using the KPS network. I have not tried to make changes over my home network though. I can experiment more after work today to see what I can and cannot do.  

If you’re making adjustments via KPS network then you’re not %100 percent done with setup. We can try few things when you get home and get your KPS network merge with your home network to finalize the setup. 

4 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

If you’re making adjustments via KPS network then you’re not %100 percent done with setup. We can try few things when you get home and get your KPS network merge with your home network to finalize the setup. 

Ok! Thank you for the info, I will try to change over my home network later and if I cant then I will reach out to you for help finishing the setup. Thanks for the willingness to help. I have to say first impressions of the pump are great, very small and dead silent!

A Little Blue
13 minutes ago, Zach W said:

Ok! Thank you for the info, I will try to change over my home network later and if I cant then I will reach out to you for help finishing the setup. Thanks for the willingness to help. I have to say first impressions of the pump are great, very small and dead silent!

No problem. Yeah, I like it as well. 

k so I have both an mp 10 and aqamai in my 60 right now.  

MP10 is far more powerful than the KPS. I run my KPS at 100% while my mp10 is maxxing at 70% on a 4 ft tank.

Software: MP10 wins this if you are using an apex.  Tbh I dont even touch the kps when feeding, not worth the hassel.

The big one for me that makes vortech win despite the shortcomings is: BATTERY BACK UP. I bought the kps because it was suppose to be compatible with a battery back up since its a dc powered pump. I didnt find anything definitively answering this question before I bought it since it was very new, but a hurricane was coming so I had to take a leap of faith. And I was wrong, unlike jebaos or vortechs there are no battery options for this pump. And that is a glaring issue for me.

So thats the short version on my opinion of vortech vs kps, for me, its a back up power issue.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
27 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I dont even touch the kps when feeding, not worth the hassel.

What do you mean by a hassle? 

A Little Blue

40 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

So thats the short version on my opinion of vortech vs kps, for me, its a back up power issue.

As far as battery backup, wouldn’t this product work with KPS pump? It says that it is universal and works with most 12VDC equipment? Not sure if that would work but it’s worth a shot. 

Just pay for the MP10 wet side and be done with it. :)  My MP10 dry side is still working, it's been 3 years.   I had an MP40 wet side go bad as well, also cheaper to just replace it.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

As far as battery backup, wouldn’t this product work with KPS pump? It says that it is universal and works with most 12VDC equipment? Not sure if that would work but it’s worth a shot. 

Nope. thats what I assumed as well. the aqamai pumps have non standard fittings.   I was most distressed since I overnighted it because we were evacuating.  That is my main disappointment with the aqamai.  If they do not sort that out, they won't ever be a major contender for me.

This is a screen shot of when I asked MD before ordering.  I didnt have time to wait for an answer before buying.  Fortunately for me, another reefer was stressing over no back up and not getting one in time and had jebao pumps so I was able to sell it to him.

Screenshot_20180530-130413.png

• Like 1
A Little Blue
28 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

This is a screen shot of when I asked MD before ordering.  I didnt have time to wait for an answer before buying.  Fortunately for me, another reefer was stressing over no back up and not getting one in time and had jebao pumps so I was able to sell it to him.

Screenshot_20180530-130413.png

I see, so it’s the connector type that makes it incompatible. 

I can definitely work around it but that’s another topic for DIY segment. 

I build Bluetooth portable stereo systems as a hobby and swapping a connectors is an easy fix. 

• 2 months later...