Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MP10 vs IM Wavelink vs Aqamai Wave Pump

Stoops718

Ok, so my MP10 wet side magnet is warped. It's still working but continues to get louder and louder. Should I replace the wet side or get either the IM or Aqamai power head? My tank is an Nuvo 10.

• Like 1

i had the wavelinke (still do, its for sale in the marketplace) and its really awesome, the modes they have are easy to program (much easier than the mp10) and very strong, in my nuvo 30L i never went more than 50% (i have a video in the equipment review on it).  that said, my BIL gave me an MP10 he wasnt using so free>wavelink.  for the money, i would buy 2 wavelinks over an mp10.  i like the mp10 for its size and wifi controls but the wavelink is a very serious competitor.   i have no experience on the aqamai

• Like 1
1 hour ago, burrito said:

i had the wavelinke (still do, its for sale in the marketplace) and its really awesome, the modes they have are easy to program (much easier than the mp10) and very strong, in my nuvo 30L i never went more than 50% (i have a video in the equipment review on it).  that said, my BIL gave me an MP10 he wasnt using so free>wavelink.  for the money, i would buy 2 wavelinks over an mp10.  i like the mp10 for its size and wifi controls but the wavelink is a very serious competitor.   i have no experience on the aqamai

The Aqamai is out of the running since reviews have said that the app controller is glitchy. I was planning on getting the Desktop Wavelink if do get one but what is the size comparison of the Midsize version with the MP10? Could you post side by side pics?

17 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

How much does it cost to replace the MP10 wet side? Surely that would be more cost effective either way?

it's $62 for a new wet side. My fear is that the dry side will crap out sooner or later as well. It's the older MP10wes version, with the white controller. I bought it used in 2012.

• Like 1

i dont have a side by side but inside the tank the mp10 is about an inch smaller (length sticking off the glass) but the wavelink can be positioned on any area of the tank and angled.  the mp10 is limited to straight shots and cant be put on the back wall since the dry side is "dry".  also, the wavelink outside tank magnet is very slim, about 1cm since the motor is in the tank vs outside.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
1 hour ago, Stoops718 said:

The Aqamai is out of the running since reviews have said that the app controller is glitchy. I was planning on getting the Desktop Wavelink if do get one but what is the size comparison of the Midsize version with the MP10? Could you post side by side pics?

IDK about “glitchy” but it might be frustrating if you don’t know how to use it. If that’s the issue than I would move on to something simpler. 

8 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

IDK about “glitchy” but it might be frustrating if you don’t know how to use it. If that’s the issue than I would move on to something simpler. 

How do you like the performance of the pump? Can you compare it to the MP10?

A Little Blue
1 minute ago, Stoops718 said:

I have both. Older MP 10 - it’s fine but a little noisy. I use it for detritus control, creating current at the bottom of my tank (30g, no sand) and set at %20-25. 

I like my KPS pump. Good flow, very small and quiet. I run it on various modes throughout the day. From wave, random, smooth and constant modes to night mode that creates gentle flow at night. You can set up feeding time (single or multiple times). You can program multiple custom modes of your own or use one from a long list of presets. Using it is easy. People are having problem with initial setup. And it can be frustrating if you don’t know how to make it talk to your network. That’s the major complain that I have heard. Solution is very easy but not covered by instruction and it creates some confusion. If you get it, there are more the few of us in here to help you out with setup if needed. If you don’t wanna deal with that, get something simple but just as effective. 

• Like 2
Cannedfish

3 minutes ago, Stoops718 said:

I am certainly not a pro by any means, but I am glad that I went with the Aqamai over the MP10. Belew is an edited version of a similar question I answered in my tank journal:

"To summarize: it's small, it is just powerful enough for an IM10, and it's relatively cheap.

When looking for a wave-maker, I had my reservations about the Aqamai. Initially I was leaning towards a Vortech MP10 for two reasons: 1)  I thought, because of price, the MP10 must be a much better pump (which it may), and 2) that the exterior motor would be more aesthetically pleasing than having wires in the tank. To be honestly, I bought the KPS on impulse because I got a really good deal on it and figured if I didn't like it, I could use it to mix saltwater. After several months with it, however, I am glad I got it over the MP10 for the follow reasons:

1. Size and flow: it essentially has the same footprint as the MP10 inside the tank, and as stated above, produces enough flow for a 10 gallon tank. The MP10 is a more powerful pump but I don't know if I could fully utilize it's power, without ripping the flesh off some of my LPS. 

2. Wiresbecause of my placement I really can't see or notice the wires. I now realize that the exterior motor of the MP10, instead of being a cleaner option,  would really just be an eye sore on the outside of the tank. My tank is located smack-dab (technical term) in the middle of our kitchen, and I appreciate the clean exterior as well as interior look.

3. The pump head swivels: which allows me to hide the pump in the top corner and adjust the aim of the flow where I want it. To get similar flow with the MP10 it would have to be located center of the side glass, directly in the middle of my viewing angle. 

4. App: the app isn't great. But I have have the setting that I like (I am able to get some pretty impressive wave action), and I have the pump hooked up to a DJ surge protector, when I need to feed the fish I don't fool with the app, I just turn off the pump. When I turn it back on, it fires right up on the correct settings. Thus, the app's clunkiness is moot. 

5. Price. Reefing isn't cheap, and I understand in order to do things right you more often then not are going to have to pay for it. That being said, occasionally it is nice to get similar (or in my opinion better) result at half the price. It just means, I can put that $100 bucks towards the candy basslet fund."

• Like 1
A Little Blue
3 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

I am certainly not a pro by any means, but I am glad that I went with the Aqamai over the MP10. Belew is an edited version of a similar question I answered in my tank journal:

"To summarize: it's small, it is just powerful enough for an IM10, and it's relatively cheap.

When looking for a wave-maker, I had my reservations about the Aqamai. Initially I was leaning towards a Vortech MP10 for two reasons: 1)  I thought, because of price, the MP10 must be a much better pump (which it may), and 2) that the exterior motor would be more aesthetically pleasing than having wires in the tank. To be honestly, I bought the KPS on impulse because I got a really good deal on it and figured if I didn't like it, I could use it to mix saltwater. After several months with it, however, I am glad I got it over the MP10 for the follow reasons:

1. Size and flow: it essentially has the same footprint as the MP10 inside the tank, and as stated above, produces enough flow for a 10 gallon tank. The MP10 is a more powerful pump but I don't know if I could fully utilize it's power, without ripping the flesh off some of my LPS. 

2. Wiresbecause of my placement I really can't see or notice the wires. I now realize that the exterior motor of the MP10, instead of being a cleaner option,  would really just be an eye sore on the outside of the tank. My tank is located smack-dab (technical term) in the middle of our kitchen, and I appreciate the clean exterior as well as interior look.

3. The pump head swivels: which allows me to hide the pump in the top corner and adjust the aim of the flow where I want it. To get similar flow with the MP10 it would have to be located center of the side glass, directly in the middle of my viewing angle. 

4. App: the app isn't great. But I have have the setting that I like (I am able to get some pretty impressive wave action), and I have the pump hooked up to a DJ surge protector, when I need to feed the fish I don't fool with the app, I just turn off the pump. When I turn it back on, it fires right up on the correct settings. Thus, the app's clunkiness is moot. 

5. Price. Reefing isn't cheap, and I understand in order to do things right you more often then not are going to have to pay for it. That being said, occasionally it is nice to get similar (or in my opinion better) result at half the price. It just means, I can put that $100 bucks towards the candy basslet fund."

You don’t have to turn off the pump at the power source for feeding. But you have to switch from your home network (on your phone) to KPS network. (You also have to turn off the “auto join” function of your main home WiFi network. Only than, connect to KPS network. Once connected, you can simply turn off your preset mode and that will pause the pump for about 10min. Pump kicks in after this period automatically. 

C4169B70-6FA2-44AD-B0C4-A64405015843.jpeg.150fef54d9674e4399d1dbbc80dc9b9c.jpeg

752EF0A1-E7FC-42FC-A110-E10F1E5486E0.thumb.jpeg.a0f53c7bc00df5f236007fa8eeca71d7.jpeg

whisnantrider

I ran 2 Aqamai KPS pumps in my JBJ 45. I really liked them and they were not difficult to program at all they have some preset  programs that are nice to. This weekend will be a year since installing them and both of the original units have failed. Completly dead. One was purchased at my LFS and the other Marine Depot. That said Hydor was very prompt on sending replacement units. There have been some sort of changes  because both replacement pumps had different wire connections from the original units. The first replacement is now about 6 months old and doesn't show any signs of failure. The second is still new in the box. Yesterday I replaced them with an IceCap 1K gyre. I haven't decided yet what I am going to do with the Aqamai pumps because even with the failure they are still nice pumps. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
2 minutes ago, whisnantrider said:

I ran 2 Aqamai KPS pumps in my JBJ 45. I really liked them and they were not difficult to program at all they have some preset  programs that are nice to. This weekend will be a year since installing them and both of the original units have failed. Completly dead. One was purchased at my LFS and the other Marine Depot. That said Hydor was very prompt on sending replacement units. There have been some sort of changes  because both replacement pumps had different wire connections from the original units. The first replacement is now about 6 months old and doesn't show any signs of failure. The second is still new in the box. Yesterday I replaced them with an IceCap 1K gyre. I haven't decided yet what I am going to do with the Aqamai pumps because even with the failure they are still nice pumps. 

I have 1K gyre brand new in the box with couple hours of use on it. 😉

Liked the flow but that’s about it. 

A Little Blue
5 minutes ago, whisnantrider said:

Can trade you if you like another K1. 

Thanks @A Little Blue and @Cannedfish! Now the KPS is back in the running. The deciding factor is pretty much going to be which one is smaller. The KPS or the Wavelink. I don't think it will be worth it to replace the wet side for the MP10. I got it over 8 years ago and it was used then. I don't know how much life is left in the dry side.

A Little Blue
18 minutes ago, Stoops718 said:

Thanks @A Little Blue and @Cannedfish! Now the KPS is back in the running. The deciding factor is pretty much going to be which one is smaller. The KPS or the Wavelink. I don't think it will be worth it to replace the wet side for the MP10. I got it over 8 years ago and it was used then. I don't know how much life is left in the dry side.

KPS 2.5X1.88 inches without magnet holder.  IM is like 2.5X3.5. Not sure if that includes magnet or not. 

Edit. 

Dimmentions are provided by manufacturers. I don’t have IM for comparison. 

IM has a feedmode and doesnt require any network, push a button and done. also goes back to previous setting when power is lost/regained if you are using a dj (or similar) powerbar

A Little Blue

Having access to one button feed mode is more convenient for sure. I just have my KPS set to automatically shut down at certain time for 30min twice a day. 

dferrari13

I am also going through the same debate.... @teenyreef opened my eyes to the KPS.... I was originally going to go with the mp10... but now I'm thinking I will replace my koralia Nano with the KPS

1 hour ago, dferrari13 said:

I am also going through the same debate.... @teenyreef opened my eyes to the KPS.... I was originally going to go wirh the mp10... but now I'm thinking I will replace my koralia Nano with the KPS

I jumped the gun and went ahead with the KPS. It just went on sale at SaltWaterAquarium.com for $107.99 plus I had $5 in rewards from when I ordered the tank. Free bottle of refractometer calibration fluid as well. Thanks everyone for all your input.

A Little Blue
5 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

MP10 is the best, the others are no more than a rebranded/slightly upgraded jebao

Have you look into design and software of KPS? Jebao? I have/had most popular wavemakers (even cheap Jebao) and I can say with certainty, that you don’t know what you’re talking about. 

whisnantrider
6 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Can trade you if you like another K1. 

Id be down for a trade. I'll shoot you a pm. We

• Like 1
whisnantrider
1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

Have you look into design and software of KPS? Jebao? I have/had most popular wavemakers (even cheap Jebao) and I can say with certainty, that you don’t know what you’re talking about. 

I second that. I've had all of the above and not only is the KPS not even remotely related to the Jebao but the virtevh is far from the best. They are very good but have they're issues and are double the price of every pump mentioned. 

Bottom line is you won't go wrong with either of them. They all have pros and cons and one doesn't out weigh any if the others. 

• Like 1