Can you help read this test

darklordzulu

ammonia .50ppm

nitrite 0ppm

nitrate 0-5ppm

ph its too dark to see - maybe 8.4?

you should read the test against a white backdrop for more accuracy

• Thanks 1

This was how mine looked when I had my ammonia/nitrite spike. I feel that the saltwater api test always looks a bit green for ammonia, even if the reading is 0. I tested everyday and it looked like yours and I though there might be ammonia but then one day it looked like this and I'm pretty sure that's just how the 0 reading looks.

IMAG0497.jpg

API teat almost always reads ammonia even if there isn’t any. What process did you use to get things started?

i meant test but autocorrected to teat but I’m leaving it.  

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, 1891Bro said:

API teat almost always reads ammonia even if there isn’t any. What process did you use to get things started?

i meant test but autocorrected to teat but I’m leaving it.  

Who doesn't love a good API Teat. 

Ammonia looks good to me. 

• Haha 2
CarolinaShoreReef
2 hours ago, darklordzulu said:

IMG_20180521_172713784.jpg just started a new tank it's been over a month and did one water change. Wanting to no mainly what the ammonia is. .

IMG_20180521_172726551.jpg

IMG_20180521_172737005.jpg

IMG_20180521_172746192.jpg

IMG_20180521_172753011.jpg

IMG_20180521_172801605_LL.jpg

Nice glass! 

Cool tank too. 😉

• Haha 1
banasophia
35 minutes ago, Jono said:

Who doesn't love a good API Teat. 

Ammonia looks good to me. 

The question is, if it has teats, can you milk it?  😳😼 

banasophia

But seriously... this is why I had to get some Hanna checkers and a Milwaukee... I have such a hard time differentiating the colors with the API test kits. Great idea to post pictures and ask for help! 👍

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

ammonia .50ppm

nitrite 0ppm

nitrate 0-5ppm

ph its too dark to see - maybe 8.4?

I agree with all but ammonia.  API always looks a little green - it may not be 0, but it's really low.

darklordzulu

Ok thank you everyone. Do you think I should do a water change and wait longer to add cuc. I tried fishless cycle with live rock but realized a month in it wasn't working so threw a oco clown in my tank and it's been three weeks did a water change a week ago since tanks been up technically a month and three weeks. Was going to do water changes weekly or bit weekly depending on ammonia. My main thing is I'm thinking after the test that I need to wait longer I guess. 

darklordzulu

Might as well add to my questions 😂. I also have been having issues with debris in my water it's small white particles from the live rock im guessing the mechanical filtration the black sponge just isn't getting the water that clean look. I also want to change media and use multiple types for a better reef. So suggestions for better media and filtration. Here's a picture of the back sump from the website. Thanks everyone. 🦐🦀🐙🦑🦈🐠🐟🐬🐋

Recife_ECO_Back_Filter_Box_Web_large.jpg

banasophia
3 minutes ago, darklordzulu said:

Might as well add to my questions 😂. I also have been having issues with debris in my water it's small white particles from the live rock im guessing the mechanical filtration the black sponge just isn't getting the water that clean look. I also want to change media and use multiple types for a better reef. So suggestions for better media and filtration. Here's a picture of the back sump from the website. Thanks everyone. 🦐🦀🐙🦑🦈🐠🐟🐬🐋

Recife_ECO_Back_Filter_Box_Web_large.jpg

Is it particles, or pods?

• Like 1
banasophia
49 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Looks like

Oh good, that’s how I would have read it!  Those things make me feel so colorblind.

• Haha 1
Cannedfish

I'm certainly not an expert. Shoot, I'm barely an amateur, however I would probably replace that giant black sponge in the first chamber with a media basket and put two layers filter floss in the top most compartment of the media basket. I would do this for three main reasons: 1) the filter will remove particles and help polish you water, 2) with the floss being on the top, it will be easy to quickly change every other day or so(invest in a pair of reptile feeding tweezers), 3) while the giant black sponge may serve as a bio filter it is also a detritus trap and will likely end up being a nitrate factory (in my opinion its more trouble than its worth). With your media basket out of the way, I don't even know what I would do with the third chamber. I have never had that luxury of space. Literally, the possibilities are endless: reactor, UV sterilizer, chaeto reactor, fuge, guest bedroom, anything!

• Haha 2
darklordzulu

Ok thank you. Ya was looking into finding a media basket that will fit my tanks back sump compartment but can't find anything yet. I wanted to try floss but I feel like that sounds costly in the long run. So I wasn't sure if using a pad or sock would be better / just as effective and cheaper. I have a uv sterilizer in the actual tank because it's to large to fit in sump. As for chemical filtration anyone have ideas? I've read using multiple media is best. I'm just trying to find the most ideal set up for the back of my sump without spending money on unnecessary junk 😋.

3 hours ago, darklordzulu said:

Ok thank you. Ya was looking into finding a media basket that will fit my tanks back sump compartment but can't find anything yet. I wanted to try floss but I feel like that sounds costly in the long run. So I wasn't sure if using a pad or sock would be better / just as effective and cheaper. I have a uv sterilizer in the actual tank because it's to large to fit in sump. As for chemical filtration anyone have ideas? I've read using multiple media is best. I'm just trying to find the most ideal set up for the back of my sump without spending money on unnecessary junk 😋.

You can make a basket from eggcrate or the plastic grid you can get at craft stores.

I like the craft store plastic better for the media basket.

It's super easy with zip ties.

Filter floss is cheaper and far better to use.

Sponges are nutrient factories, even washing them doesn't fully clean them. They are more expensive to replace as well.

You can buy floss in bulk. In cda for a bag that last 6mnths (for 3 tanks) it's  $12.99.

You can also buy pillow stuffing floss for cheap.

You cut to size, replace twice a week.

I made my basket for my 5g. I was not about to pay $50us plus shipping for acrylic (no insult to anyone but that's way over priced)

Cost me $2 to make it

20180508_141918.jpg

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I made my basket for my 5g. I was not about to pay $50us plus shipping for acrylic (no insult to anyone but that's way over priced)

Cost me $2 to make it

20180508_141918.jpg

Right? Like my evo v was just $80.... the price is unjustifiable. What material is that btw? Is it like sewing canvas? 

CarolinaShoreReef
6 hours ago, darklordzulu said:

I get a bag from Walmart for $7 and it’s going to last me probably 7-12 months. You can find what it looks like here 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Right? Like my evo v was just $80.... the price is unjustifiable. What material is that btw? Is it like sewing canvas? 

Ya, i believe so.

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

I get a bag from Walmart for $7 and it’s going to last me probably 7-12 months. 

I'm 10 months in, use 3 fist-sized wads 3x week, and haven't even used 1/5 of the bag.  By far the cheapest part of the maintenance! 

• Like 1