ReefCleaners.org

Getting back in the game with a 40b build

lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Hello all. 

I have been away from the forum and reefing for a couple years, but have decided to come back with a 40b build. I will document my progress here. Any and all comments or suggestions are welcomed. After all, that is how we help each other grow and improve our little chunks of the ocean.

I am already a little ways into this build, but still have a ways to. I started this build on the last day of the $1/gallon sale by purchasing 2 tanks, a 40b and a 20L. I have always liked the dimensions of the 40b, but have only used them for QT tanks in the past. This time I figured it was time to turn it into an amazing reef tank. I started researching different options for an overflow and decided on the Eshops Eclipse M overflow. This brought me to my first hurdle, drilling a tank.

I have never drilled a tank before and was a bit nervous about it. After watching MANY videos and reading a TON of posts on drilling, I finally had the courage to drill the tank. I got online and ordered the overflow, drill bits, bulkheads, and a drill guide. I a, so glad I got the guide!!! it made drilling SOOOOOOO easy. I decided to center the overflow box and put 2 returns in the back of the tank, one in either corner. 

Drilling the tank took me about an hour to get all 3  holes done, and it came out very nice. I did learn one very valuable lesson in my drilling (although one that was easy to remedy). I had decided to paint the back glass before drilling. The paint ended up being a disaster by the time the drilling was complete, so I had to scrape all of the paint off and redo it. Not a huge problem, but somewhat time consuming.

Here are a few pics up to this point in my build.

20180512_194228_resized_1.jpg

20180512_121242_resized_1.jpg

20180512_131154_resized_1.jpg

20180512_131652_resized_1.jpg

20180512_131656_resized_1.jpg

20180512_131702_resized_1.jpg

• Like 1
lpsouth1978

The next step in this process was figuring out what to do for a stand. I considered building my own, but I am a terrible carpenter and knew that anything I built would look like poo. I began searching the internet, but could not find a decent, affordable stand for a 40b. Eventually I came across a youtube video of a guy using inexpensive Home Depot shelves for his tanks, and though I would give it a try. I happened to have on in my garage, so I broke it down, moved it into the house and put the top and bottom shelves in. The tank fir PERFECTLY on the stand, but it was not very stable. I decided to add another shelf a couple inches below the tank and this helped a little, but not enough. Finally, I added more shelf supports on the sides and back of the stand, and swapped the cheap 1/2" particle board for 3/4" Melamine boards. This made all the difference, and the stand is now ROCK solid.

With the stand figured out, it was time to move on to the sump and plumbing. I used the 20L for the sump and added 4 baffles to make 3 chambers. I decided to forego a fuge due to limited space, and will be using the center section for the skimmer and for reactors down the road. I dry fit all of the plumbing to make sure I liked the layout, marked all of the connections, and started glueing. I made sure to use a good number of unions for easy did-assembly if needed. After completing the plumbing, I filled the tank and have been water testing it for several days now (with tap water only). This brings me to where I am at today,

Here are some pics to this point.

20180519_203047_resized_1.thumb.jpg.76b78d881f8865d79e7b86620471ec57.jpg

20180519_202605_resized_1.jpg

20180519_202624_resized_1.jpg

20180519_203042_resized_1.jpg

20180512_194744_resized_1.jpg

20180513_145922_resized_1.jpg

20180513_145938_resized_1.jpg

20180519_202553_resized_1.jpg

20180519_202557_resized_1.jpg

• Like 1
lpsouth1978

Here is some additional info about the build and what is yet to come.

- 40b DT

- 20L sump

- Jebao DCP-8000 return Pump

- Eshops Eclipse M overflow

- Aqueon 150W heater

Planned additions:

- approx. 40lbs live Rock

- 20-30lbs live sand

- Autotopoff.com ATO w/10g reservoir

- 2 x Jebao OW-25 wavemaker pumps

- Viparspectra 300W Programmable LED light

- Reef Octopus Classic 110 Protein skimmer

- Inkbird Dual Stage Temperature Controller

- Chiller (if needed, I live in Phoenix)

Down the road (as needed)

- Jebao dosing pump

I plan to keep mainly softies and LPS, but may attempt a little SPS down the road.

I am still working out the surround for the stand, but have a couple of ideas on that. The one thing I am still struggling with is mounting the light. I can't really attach anything to the stand, and I can't anchor anything to the wall since this will not be against any wall, and I don't want it suspended from the ceiling. I have one idea that I may try this weekend, so I will keep you all posted on that.

Please let me know what you all think. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

• Like 1
lpsouth1978
On 5/22/2018 at 12:06 PM, ScottsTot said:

Nice! I'm thinking about doing the same. Were you able to hide the waterline behind the rim with the Eshopps overflow? 

The water line is just barely hidden with my return pump at 50%. If I was to do it over, I would go with the Eshopps S overflow instead of the M.

BostonReef

Really well done.. love seeing the plumbing setups on DIYs, wish I was better equipped to do one. 

What are your latest thoughts on the stand? I’d say a thin stainless steel would be a really interesting look that already fits the look of the metal frame, but I don’t know if that’s a bad idea to add more metal.  Perhaps just some thin polycarbonate or something like that?  I’d also think dual sliding doors ideal for the front, how easy or doable that is I don’t know.. eager to see how you proceed though!

lpsouth1978
On 5/24/2018 at 3:31 PM, BostonReef said:

Really well done.. love seeing the plumbing setups on DIYs, wish I was better equipped to do one. 

What are your latest thoughts on the stand? I’d say a thin stainless steel would be a really interesting look that already fits the look of the metal frame, but I don’t know if that’s a bad idea to add more metal.  Perhaps just some thin polycarbonate or something like that?  I’d also think dual sliding doors ideal for the front, how easy or doable that is I don’t know.. eager to see how you proceed though!

For the stand I am thinking of just "skinning" it with some wall board. I will probably coat it with some clear to make it more water resistant. I may just have the hardware store cut it down for me. A single 4'x8' sheet will cover the whole stand and will cost less than $30. I can either attach it to the stand using strong magnets or just some well placed screws that match the holes in the stand legs. This way I can just lift off the panel when I need to work under the tank.

The other option, which I have done before, is to have a plastic shop cut some panels from black ABS plastic. I have also had panels bent to fit around the stand, but that will not work for this build because of the lack of easy access from the sides of the tank.

lpsouth1978

I was able to get some more work done this weekend. First I built and painted the light stand. I had to be creative here because I am not able to attach it to a wall or to the stand itself. I ended up getting some 1/2" metal pipe and fittings (usually used for as lines) which I painted with Rust-o-leum and attached to the middle shelf board with a floor flange. I then used a couple carabiners and some wire cables to hang the light. I will eventually upgrade from the 165W 16" light to a 300W 30" version.

I also went to the LFS and gout some things. The main thing was a protein skimmer. This LFS specializes in used equipment and they had a nice little Bubble Magus NAC 3.5 for $75. They had just taken it in and I jumped on it! I also picked up ~45lbs of dry rock and 40lbs of sand. I have this all in the tank awaiting the addition of water, which should happen tonight.

Sometime today I am expecting a delivery containing the salt, refractometer, wavemaker pumps, and filter socks and holder. I plan to add the water to the tank this evening and get everything fired up. Since this is a new build I will be curing the rock in the tank while getting the cycle under way. I figure I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak. here are some pics of my progress so far.

20180524_232954_resized.jpg

20180525_000723_resized.jpg

20180525_085005_resized.jpg

20180526_201712_resized.jpg

20180526_201749_resized.jpg

20180526_201853_resized.jpg

20180526_201905_resized.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
lpsouth1978

Not much to report at his point. I am still letting the rock cure and tank cycle. I still have no idea what my SG is because the refractometer I ordered from Amazon was garbage. I could not even calibrate because it was sooooo poorly made and was ALL plastic construction. I have ordered a new one from BRS and should have it in a couple days. I just mixed up the saltwater as per the manufacturers instructions, so I know it will be close, but not close enough I would risk adding anything other than the sand and rock.

Even with virtually nothing in the tank, I have already had to change the filter sock twice and the skimmer is pulling some pretty nasty stuff out. I keep the light off (except for quick looks or pics) so I have NO algae growth yet, which is great because my RO system needs new filters (which are on order). I just replaced the DI filter and it lasted about 40 gallons before it was toast. I am now reading ~45 TDS after the RO and DI, so I went ahead and ordered a new membrane along with the other filters. I have another DI filter that I will hook up once I know the rest of the system is working properly.

My biggest disappointment so far is with the Jebao OW-10 pumps. I actually love them, but I wish I had gone with the OW-25 instead. I have the 10's on the back wall pointed at the front wall at an angle, one in each back corner. I have them both set to 100% on else mode, and still have not seen any sand being moved and I have oolite sand. It is not that I want sand to moved around, but I don't like running my pumps on 100%, and these just aren't strong enough to allow me to turn them down and still have the flow I want. Now I have to decide whether to order a couple of OW-25's or 2 more of the OW-10's and set up truly random flow patterns in the tank with 4 wavemakers.

BostonReef

Scape looks good!

Weird that two of the Jebaos are so weak, I’ve heard good things, but my MP10 can stir up non-oolite from 12” above the sandbed, so I guess they aren’t that powerful.  If you go the full shebang for random flow I’ll bet your future corals will love it though 

lpsouth1978
4 hours ago, BostonReef said:

Scape looks good!

Weird that two of the Jebaos are so weak, I’ve heard good things, but my MP10 can stir up non-oolite from 12” above the sandbed, so I guess they aren’t that powerful.  If you go the full shebang for random flow I’ll bet your future corals will love it though 

I think it is more about the TINY size than anything. These things are only about the size of a golf ball. I have used Jebao pumps for years and love them, these are simply tiny.

I think I will stick with what I have for now and upgrade later if future corals tell me I need to.

lpsouth1978

Well... It looks like my cycle is about done. I will be doing a large water change this weekend and the tank will probably remain vacant for another week or 2. My reading were:

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - .25

Nitrate - 160... yes 160.

I started with dry rock and have ghost fed the tank a couple of times.

19 minutes ago, lpsouth1978 said:

Well... It looks like my cycle is about done. I will be doing a large water change this weekend and the tank will probably remain vacant for another week or 2. My reading were:

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - .25

Nitrate - 160... yes 160.

I started with dry rock and have ghost fed the tank a couple of times.

Wow. At 160 I’d go larger than large on the waterchange. Like huge or all. 90% change still leaves you with 16 trates give or take. 

• Like 1
lpsouth1978
48 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Wow. At 160 I’d go larger than large on the waterchange. Like huge or all. 90% change still leaves you with 16 trates give or take. 

Yeah I was planning on changing as much water as I can get out. I can always do another if needed. I am not too concerned since there is nothing in the tank other than rock and sand. I will likely be doing another water change before anything is added anyway. I was not too surprised by the nitrates because I was also basically curing the rock in the tank while cycling it. I may also try to find some chaeto this weekend and get it in the Fuge, this should help keep the nitrates from getting so high in the future.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, lpsouth1978 said:

Yeah I was planning on changing as much water as I can get out. I can always do another if needed. I am not too concerned since there is nothing in the tank other than rock and sand. I will likely be doing another water change before anything is added anyway. I was not too surprised by the nitrates because I was also basically curing the rock in the tank while cycling it. I may also try to find some chaeto this weekend and get it in the Fuge, this should help keep the nitrates from getting so high in the future.

Solid plan. 

• 3 weeks later...
lpsouth1978

The build took a little bit of a break due to a motorcycle accident sidelining me for a couple weeks. It is now back to full speed. I have completed the cycle, done several large water changes to get Nitrates down, added the ATO, light timers, and power strips with individual power switches for each outlet. I have also added the first inhabitants to the tank.

First was a Royal Gramma Basslet, and as expected, he has barely come out of hiding so far. He has come out to eat, but on pops out of his hole for a few seconds before darting back into hiding.

I then added a bonded pair of Black Ocellaris Clowns. They are doing quite well and started eating only hours after adding them to the tank.

These fish make up half of my planned stocking. I plan on adding a lawnmower blenny, Diamond watchman goby, and a wrasse. I have not decided on which wrasse yet, but am thinking either some sort of flasher or fairy wrasse, or a Melenarus wrasse. I had one in a 34 gallon system years ago and it was an amazing fish, so I would love to have one in this system as well.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
lpsouth1978

The tank is coming along. Yesterday afternoon, I visited a couple LFS's and picked up one of my favorite fish, a Melanurus Wrasse, a frogspawn frag, and a speckled hammer coral frag. Both of the corals are doing well so far. The frogspawn opened up almost immediately after going in the tank. The hammer took a couple of hours, but is open and seems to be acclimating well so far. As for the Melanurus, I will have to keep you updated... He is, of course, hiding below the sand, so I don't expect to see him for a couple of days.

As you have all probably surmised, I do not have a QT setup, so I am taking my chances and doing a freshwater dip with Methylene Blue before adding the fish to the system.

I have made a couple of updates to the system as well. I took off the Flare nozzles for the return and replaced them with random flow generators. So far I am pretty happy with them. They definitely add a bit more random flow to the system. I also upgraded my fuge light. I was originally using a cheap LED Grow bulb from Walmart, but was not happy with it. I ended up ordering an Astra 120 Freshwater Light from Amazon. It uses a single 50W COB array and is SUPER bright. It came with the gooseneck mount and cost about $90. So far I am happy, but we will see how the fuge reacts to it.

My next step is to finally get the surround for the stand done. I am hoping to complete that this weekend. I will update with pics once that is done.

I also measured my params this morning and am pretty pleased with everything so far. 

DISCLAIMER - I am currently using API test kits, so these results may not be COMPLETELY accurate, but they get me in the ball park for now.

pH - 8.2 (I have a digital pH meter on the way)
Ammonia - Undetectable
Nitrite - Undetectable
Nitrate - Undetectable
Phosphate - Undetectable
Alk - 8 (a little lower than I want, but I blame it on the Reef Crystals. I plan on getting a different salt next time, just haven't decided on which one yet.)
Calcium - 460

And now for a few pics. Please let me know what you think and give any recommendations for improvement. Ignore the fake anemone, It is VERY temporary and will be coming out soon. I put it in there hoping to convince the clowns not to use the corner of the tank as their host. It was totally unsuccessful!

20180707_092344_resized.jpg

20180707_092357_resized.jpg

20180707_092609_resized.jpg

20180707_092637_resized.jpg

20180707_092014_resized.jpg

LogicalReefs

Awesome tank set up. If you want your clownfish to host your real anemone I’d buy a small floatable container with holes in it. Put your anemone in and your clownfish and hopefully they’ll host. Atleast they’ll get used to it. Maybe that might help with the host?

lpsouth1978
8 hours ago, RocketClownfish said:

Awesome tank set up. If you want your clownfish to host your real anemone I’d buy a small floatable container with holes in it. Put your anemone in and your clownfish and hopefully they’ll host. Atleast they’ll get used to it. Maybe that might help with the host?

Yeah, first I have to get a real anemone. 🙂

lpsouth1978
7 hours ago, Indiana Reefin said:

Nice setup! I have the 110 SSS skimmer and love it! 

I actually ended up getting a great deal on a used Bubble Magus NAC 3.5. So far I am happy with it. It took some time to get it dialed in, but it is now pulling some pretty nasty skimate.

• 2 weeks later...
lpsouth1978

The tank is doing well and still progressing slowly. I have now increased the stocking to include:

- Bonded pair of Black Ocellaris Clown
- Royal Gramma Basslet
- Melanurus Wrasse
- 3 x Pajama Cardinals
- Neon Dottyback (currently in the sump)
- Frogspawn frag
- Hammer frag

Unfortunately, I decided while at the LFS the other day to make an impulse purchase of the Neon Dottback. I have had them before, but did not realize that it would not get along with the Royal Gramma. I had to catch him and move him to the fuge until I can find him a new home. 

I tested the water tonight in preparation of a water change tomorrow, and am VERY happy with the current parameters of the tank. They are:

Temp - 78.5 (digital Thermometer)
SG - 1.026 (refractometer)
pH - 8.4 (digital pH tester)
Ammonia - 0 (API)
Nitrite - 0 (API)
Nitrate - Undetectable (API)
Phosphate - Undetectable (API)
Alk - 7.5 (API)
Calcium - 480 (API)

I am using the API tests for now, because I think they are accurate enough for my current needs. Eventually I plan on getting more reliable and accurate test kits, but these should suffice for a while. I will try to get some more pics tomorrow. 

lpsouth1978

I went out and visited a few LFS today and picked up a rainbow BTA that someone had recently traded in. It seems to be doing well so far and attached to my rockwork almost immediately. I just hope my clown eventually take notice and jump in.

20180728_170828.jpg

lpsouth1978

More updates on the tank this weekend. First off, I added the last of the fish to the tank. In addition to the list above, I also have a Diamond Watchman Goby and a lawnmower blenny. I also picked up a nice ultra acan frag with about 8 polyps. Everyhting seems to be doing really well and getting along great. 

The second update is on the stand. I finally got around to working on the surround for it and am happy with how it looks. I still have to finish the sides of the stand, but I still thing it looks WAY better than before, I have put before and after pics below.

The final, and BIGGEST change is the light. I am now using my Chinese Black Box over the sump for my Chaeto Light (I am just using the white channel). I decided to upgrade to AI Prime HD's. I got two of them with the tank mounting brackets and am extremely happy with my purchase so far. Everything seems to have responded well to the change, especially the RBTA. It is no longer stretching it's foot out in order to get the light it wants. Now it just stays in it's preferred spot all day and sways in the current. 

Feel free to let me know what you think of the stand and the new look of the tank with the new lights. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. Also, If you have any suggestions for the settings on the new lights, PLEASE let me know. I am basically going at it blind.

20180804_202545.jpg

20180804_202129.jpg