Pod Your Reef

Aiptasia or Feather Duster?

anniebanana267

anniebanana267

ok so this is really complicated. I'm having like 20 issues at once and I need some help, badly. so 1, I have these transparent flower looking things growing out of my live rock and I've looked at at least 100 pictures of each aiptasia and feather dusters and I still can't tell which one it is. On the bottom of those, I have what looks like cobwebs?? in a crater in my live rock. Then, Im thinking the flower things are feather dusters (and hoping too) because I have like 2 or 3 worms just wigging on the wall of my tank, and I have at least 15-20 little spiral shells on the walls too. they're about the size of the ballpoint on a ballpoint pen. I had to use my nano lens for my camera to even recognize their existence. please help!

IMG_20180520_234827.jpg

IMG_20180520_233927.jpg

IMG_20180520_233852.jpg

anniebanana267
24 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Top pic is some kinda hydroid. I dunno bout the rest. 

thank you so much! after seeing pictures of them, I think they are. now to figure out what the rest are...

Feather dusters react fast if you touch them.. they are a worm. Aptasia  react fast as well but they are still on the surface.

Feather dusters react fast if you touch them.. they are a worm. Aptasia  react fast as well but they are still on the surface.

• Like 1
jamescstein

yes, first pic is a hydriod of some sort.

2nd is a spirorbis worm.

3rd is a worm of some sort nothing I recognize

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, jamescstein said:

yes, first pic is a hydriod of some sort.

2nd is a spirorbis worm.

3rd is a worm of some sort nothing I recognize

+1

nothing to worry about

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Oklahoma reef
After discovering a few things siprorbis on a here’s what happened. 
1: I irritated both with a needle. 
2: after irritation nassarius and cleaner shrimp where all over the snail 
3: repeated for 4 days 
4: cleaner shrimp and nassarius snail stayed in the area attempting to eat the snails for days. Snail even burrowed right next to it. 
5: last one was killed in the final day and eaten by cleaner shrimp then cleaned by nassarius.  

I used a dental pic, after the first day I realized that they could easily defend against a needle. 
  • Like 1
anniebanana267
2 hours ago, Oklahoma reef said:
After discovering a few things siprorbis on a here’s what happened. 
1: I irritated both with a needle. 
2: after irritation nassarius and cleaner shrimp where all over the snail 
3: repeated for 4 days 
4: cleaner shrimp and nassarius snail stayed in the area attempting to eat the snails for days. Snail even burrowed right next to it. 
5: last one was killed in the final day and eaten by cleaner shrimp then cleaned by nassarius.  

I used a dental pic, after the first day I realized that they could easily defend against a needle. 

Thank you, I will try that. So you used a needle or a dental pick?

Oklahoma reef
22 hours ago, anniebanana267 said:

Thank you, I will try that. So you used a needle or a dental pick?

I used the needle to kill the first one however the other two where bigger and  broke the tip of my needle. Ended up bendin my dental pick too, those calcium shells they make are pretty tough!. I basically inserted the pick into their already made hole and yanked it around the inside to make a snail smoothie for my shrimp. 

• Like 1

Spirorbid Worms are fairly innocuous and won't cause any harm unless they happen to get sucked into or grow inside a pump. they're nice biodiversity and personally i just let them grow. Yes, they're calcareous and will use up calcium in the tank, but it's impact is negligible as long as you keep up with water changes. Your CUC snails use up more.