Innovative Marine Aquariums

Long Tentacle toadstool

steviep

Hi 2 weeks ago I purchased a long tentacle toadstool on a rock it also had 2 babies on it, all was well for 7 or 8 days then they all closed up 4 days ago and have not reopened, I had read they don't like phosban so that was removed parameters are fine I've done 2 water changes 1 last week another yesterday all my other corals are looking very good, is this normal behaviour? Should I be concerned? Would like some advice please 

Screenshot_20180520-101229_Video Player.jpg

20180520_101029.jpg

Red_Blenny

Toadstools will normally close up and slough/shed off its skin every few weeks or so its generally normal. As long it's not turning brown/melting then  it's fine. Just give it decent flow to be happy.

Also, do you have a flatworm problem?

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Red_Blenny said:

Toadstools will normally close up and slough/shed off its skin every few weeks or so its generally normal. As long it's not turning brown/melting then  it's fine. Just give it decent flow to be happy.

Also, do you have a flatworm problem?

Hi thanks for your reply, no flatworm that I know of and they have a good flow over them the surface did go shiny for a couple of days but thats gone now

Kellie in CA

I had a pair that were super unhappy for a year and never opened. Then one day I started to see polyps, and now they are taking over my tank. 

I still have have no idea what changed. I think they are a bit picky. 

• Thanks 1

Looking very sad today the large one has now dropped over I've moved them to my qt tank, all 3 are looking very sad, I have another toadstool in the qt tank which is looking good. I did a inspection of the rocks they're on and can see anything untoward, I'll check them again tonight after work 

Look at the toadstool and it definitely looks like you have flat worms on it. Coral dips and flatworm exit are you best friend to help the problem. The fat worms eat and irritate the corals that’s why they are not opening.

• Thanks 1
fishkeepersaltnfresh

My Toadstool drops over every night. In the morning, when the lights are turned ON, they will be slouched over the rock. After 30 mins or so, they will be in standing position with the polyps extended.

• Thanks 1
Kellie in CA

Now that I've seen the picture on a bigger screen, it does look like rust colored flatworms to me too.  Unfortunately for every one you see, there are 100's more lurking.  You will probably have to treat both tanks with Flatworm Exit. 

@steviep the flat worms could have come from anywhere, the rocks the toadstool, or another frag. I wouldn’t worry about how it got there but more how to kill them. Flat worm exit would be the fastest treatment and from there I would add a flat worm eating fish like a six line or sapphire damsel to clean up the survivors or any new ones. 

Thanks for the info I don't seem to be able to get flatworm exit in the UK without importing it from the USA at a very high cost I'll keep looking, I have a peacock wrasse in there will that help ?

Apparently it's banned in the UK but I've managed to get some 😁

I guessing this is what a drug deal feels like 😂

Anyway it should be here in a couple of days, should I now treat both tanks plus dip ?

• Haha 1
banasophia
15 minutes ago, steviep said:

Apparently it's banned in the UK but I've managed to get some 😁

I guessing this is what a drug deal feels like 😂

Haha that’s what I felt like when I met up with someone from my local Facebook reefing group in the parking lot of our LFS to swap frags! 😂

• Haha 1

Ok I've spent a bit of time lifting rocks and searching throughout my tanks and can't find any flatworms atm, apart from my toadstool which has now shed and is starting to open up again all my other corals are looking good and healthy, is there anywhere I should be finding flatworms if they are in the system?