inTank Media Baskets

Possible BJD on new hammer coral ?

sapling

Hey guys, I feel mega bummed today, 😞

I usually look at night in my tank to inspect corals, and to do maintenance because of a clown that bites, and I noticed a brown goop starting to encroach on my hammer coral I had bought this week. this was really odd to see since there was also a small string from it, which the day before I assumed was from 5 days ago, a muscus string due to using my coralRX when I acclimated it in.

So Essentially I cant determine what happened if it was BJD to begin with. IDK if maybe because it was in close contact with my octospawn, it was somehow stung and injured(even though afaik that shouldnt happen.), or when I when to break the plug and it was somehow injured from that? it seemed perfectly fine when it arrived.

I went on the side of caution and I removed then destroyed the coral. It felt really bad because the polyp didnt branch far enough for me to be able to maybe think of saving one. I just dont want to chance this possible infection spreading. I wanted to remove the coral from the tank and put back into quarantine to dose metro,erythro, and prazi, but I just dont have the quarantine set up currently to do so.

was this an okay response to the issue? I will post water params in a moment, but all my other corals seem healthy, except 2 digitata I have which are dealing with algae.

here is a pic of the coral when I made the diagnosis of BJD shortly before I removed it from the tank, Rip.

Photo May 19, 1 05 49 PM.jpg

ok Testing done,

DIY 25g AIO tank

520 ppm Ca (API Calcium liquid test)
7.0 dkh alk (Hanna ALK checker)
1.0255 s.g. (refractometer I calibrate with fluid before all testing)
0-0.03 ppm PO4 (Salifert Phosphate test)
15 ppm nitrate (API liquid test)

I run chaeto in the sump, a biopellet reactor, and protein skimmer.

light is a nanobox Duo 70% blue/violet/cyan 20% white 5" from water surface.

I do weekly 6 gallon water changes with reef crystal salt mix and BRS 4 stage RO/DI, I use a tds meter that confirms 1ppm.

Could any of this could have caused the issue with this hammer? I have an octospawn I got with the hammer and it seems fine and extended so far, knock on wood.

I included pictures of the tank for reference, I apologize for photo quality. Also Ive been dealing with bubble algae for a long time now, as well as some other diatoms.

Photo May 19, 4 34 17 PM.jpg

Photo May 19, 4 36 19 PM.jpg