SaltCritters.com

Would an arrow crab be okay for my tank?

anniebanana267

anniebanana267

I want to get an arrow crab but I’m reading this sentence from LiveAquaria “This crab has been known to attack crustaceans such as Banded Coral Shrimp, and may even attack small slow moving fish.“ and im afraid for my yellow clown goby. She’s so slow when she hip hops around, will she be okay or might it attack her? I also have some small hermit crabs that I’m worried about to. Please let me know! I saw some pictures and it looks really cool.

Other tank info:

• 36 gallon soon-to-be-reef-but-Fowlr-atm
  • Oc. Clownfish
  • Blue Damselfish
  • Royal Gramma
  • Green Chromis
  • Neon Damselfish
  • like 6 hermits mostly blue legs and a green striped 
  • a tiny tiny (like really tiny) trochus snail 
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, anniebanana267 said:

I want to get an arrow crab but I’m reading this sentence from LiveAquaria “This crab has been known to attack crustaceans such as Banded Coral Shrimp, and may even attack small slow moving fish.“ and im afraid for my yellow clown goby. She’s so slow when she hip hops around, will she be okay or might it attack her? I also have some small hermit crabs that I’m worried about to. Please let me know! I saw some pictures and it looks really cool.

Other tank info:

• 36 gallon soon-to-be-reef-but-Fowlr-atm
  • Oc. Clownfish
  • Blue Damselfish
  • Royal Gramma
  • Green Chromis
  • Neon Damselfish
  • like 6 hermits mostly blue legs and a green striped 
  • a tiny tiny (like really tiny) trochus snail 

Believe what you read..... they are predators. 

• Wow 1
A Little Blue

Yes, they’re cool. And yes, they will go after anything that they can catch/kill. 

The only real thing they’re good for is bristleworm control. Would I recommend it for mixed reef nano tank? Probably not.   

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Yes, they’re cool. And yes, they will go after anything that they can catch/kill. 

The only real thing they’re good for is bristleworm control. Would I recommend it for mixed reef nano tank? Probably not.   

Just being nice with the “probably”. Admit it. 

• Haha 2

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and, it’s just for laughs so don’t get all mad. 

First the post about the doomed to die slowly star and now about the terminator of the invert world...

I see a post about a large sized lion fish in the future. 

BA87CE9F-83EF-49D4-BEE1-3C5EBB8508D1.gif

• Haha 3
7 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

First the post about the doomed to die slowly star and now about the terminator of the invert world...

I like how you lead with, “don’t get mad”. lol

• Haha 2
A Little Blue
7 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Well, you asked for it so, there you go. Dwarf Lion fish is actually an awesome Nano/Pico choice. One of few species that will effectively keep owners’ overstocking desires in check. 

Fact!

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
anniebanana267

Thanks for all your replies. Looks like I’ll keep searching for an interesting invert to add to my tank 🙂

31 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Well, you asked for it so, there you go. Dwarf Lion fish is actually an awesome Nano/Pico choice. One of few species that will effectively keep owners’ overstocking desires in check. 

Fact!

I have to say I’ve never heard of a dwarf lionfish. I’m seriously gonna look into it, because that is just too cute. Thank you!

edit: nevermind, too big for my tank. guess I’ll just save pictures 😞 

43 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

31 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Fact!

My post says large, not dwarf. 

3 minutes ago, anniebanana267 said:

Thanks for all your replies. Looks like I’ll keep searching for an interesting invert to add to my tank 🙂

I have to say I’ve never heard of a dwarf lionfish. I’m seriously gonna look into it, because that is just too cute. Thank you!

Now look what you’ve started. 

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, anniebanana267 said:

edit: nevermind, too big for my tank. guess I’ll just save pictures 😞 

So a dwarf lion is not too large for your tank. You need to pay more attention to a website like lionfishlair that specializes in them. They don’t move much and are more ambush predators. This is one liveaquaria gets wrong on tank size, though admittedly they may be more concerned with bioload. The fish eats and poops. A lot. Water changes are a must. Though they will eat pretty much anything they can fit in their mouth which would encompass most every fish on your list when it gets full grown. You would also limit yourself to no shrimp, ever. I have a dwarf zebra lion, but it is in one of three tanks I have. They are reef safe in the fact they won’t bother corals, but unless you really, really, and I mean really want one I wouldn’t put it in your only tank. 

• Like 1
anniebanana267
1 hour ago, Rob22 said:

So a dwarf lion is not too large for your tank. You need to pay more attention to a website like lionfishlair that specializes in them. They don’t move much and are more ambush predators. This is one liveaquaria gets wrong on tank size, though admittedly they may be more concerned with bioload. The fish eats and poops. A lot. Water changes are a must. Though they will eat pretty much anything they can fit in their mouth which would encompass most every fish on your list when it gets full grown. You would also limit yourself to no shrimp, ever. I have a dwarf zebra lion, but it is in one of three tanks I have. They are reef safe in the fact they won’t bother corals, but unless you really, really, and I mean really want one I wouldn’t put it in your only tank. 

Thank you for all the info 🙂 I don’t think I will be getting one, I just tend to get overly excited really quick and I did when I saw how cute they were 😂