Pod Your Reef

IM 25 gallon Lagoon Skimmer

RobsNanoLagoon

RobsNanoLagoon

So I'm Almost done with my tank build, I will soon be loading pictures and videos shortly when I have enough content to properly share. So my tank is done cycling and I've added my livestock, its getting to the point that I want to make sure I get a protein skimmer, I know a lot of you do water changes weekly and that works well, for my particular schedule I want to do a bi-weekly water change and add a skimmer, so the only problem I am facing is that the IM 25 gallon only fits about 2-4 skimmers properly and or with mods. I have been hesitant to jump the gun and add a skimmer with out making sure its working for the vast majority, I like to experiment but I've dropped a lot of money on this tank already so I want to make sure I get the right skimmer. My absolute last resort is the Aquamaxx HOB, I love this skimmer but its a HOB not what I wanted with this tank, I would like opinions on other skimmers and what works best for you, I was thinking of the ICE CAP K1 Nano, CAD Lights PLS-Nano Elite 2, the Eshopps nano skimmer, and the Reef Glass Skimmer.  Please give me some feed back on what you have tried and what works well for you.

So far my system is as follows :

IM 25 Gallon Lagoon

AI Prime HD (black)

Ecotech MP-10 W

20lbs caribea sea Pink Fiji - live sand

20lbs of dry and live rock mix

Chemi Pure blue

IM 200 Filter sock

InTank Fuge Basket holding Chaeto

Live Stock

S&R Flurry ClownFish

S&R DaVinci Grade A ClownFish

Diadema Dottyback

2 Yellow Clown Gobies

Yellow Coris Wrasse  

Will add

1 Cleaner shrimp

1 fire shrimp

CAD Lights PLS-Nano Elitedoes not fit.

I bought a used CAD Lights PLS-Nano Elite "1" - I had to cut off the mounting bracket and set it up a few days ago but working like a champ. I had to search around for awhile and be patient to find one. 

Only other one I would have considered based on reviews was the Aquamaxx HOB one. 

RobsNanoLagoon

Yea that's exactly what ive been thinking. It doesn't seem to hard to cut on the Cad Lights PLS - Nano 1. but nobody has them anymore. Hopefully someone comes around on the forum and can sell me one. I really don't want that huge aquamaxx on the back of this sleek tank. defeats the purpose. Honestly I don't think I need one right now but I know I will in about 2- 3 months when I start adding LPS. Can you post some picture of your setup im curious on how it fits. Thanks for the reply :)

5 minutes ago, RobsNanoLagoon said:

Yea that's exactly what ive been thinking. It doesn't seem to hard to cut on the Cad Lights PLS - Nano 1. but nobody has them anymore. Hopefully someone comes around on the forum and can sell me one. I really don't want that huge aquamaxx on the back of this sleek tank. defeats the purpose. Honestly I don't think I need one right now but I know I will in about 2- 3 months when I start adding LPS. Can you post some picture of your setup im curious on how it fits. Thanks for the reply 🙂

Make a post that you are looking for one. That is how I found mine. Make sure to get pictures as some people did not realize they had the non-elite version so you need to verify it is the correct one. It took me 2 months to find one but I did finally as some people are upgrading who can fit the newest version.

Modifying it was easy, I just used a hand saw. 

Aquamaxx is pretty beasty and may be overkill anyways.

I will get some pics for you.

RobsNanoLagoon

Thanks Tamberav , I cant post just yet, need to post 15 times and then the forum rules break and I can escape my genie lamp lol. I would've done that first.

Thanks xthunt, Ive heard that skimmer degrades fast. Its like $100 new so id rather go with something better IMO.

Nomoreammo

I would just get the IM desktop ghost skimmer and call it a day. Nano tanks are small enough that nutrient export through water changes should suffice. No skimmer of this size is going to make or break your tank and will have limited utility and is not a replacement for water changes IMO.

The other part of the equation is that while biweekly WC's might work better for your schedule, your water parameters will dictate if you either need to dose at some point, or simply do weekly water changes to replace your major elements like Calc, Alk, and Mag.

Keep us updated on which skimmer you go with!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RobsNanoLagoon said:

Thanks Tamberav , I cant post just yet, need to post 15 times and then the forum rules break and I can escape my genie lamp lol. I would've done that first.

Thanks xthunt, Ive heard that skimmer degrades fast. Its like $100 new so id rather go with something better IMO.

Pics... Basically it's shoved down there until the suction cups stuck to the bottom. I basically cut a little off the front and the back bracket off. Don't need the back bracket anyways as it is working perfect at the depth of the chamber.

IMG_20180518_160232.jpg

IMG_20180518_160202.jpg

IMG_20180518_160140.jpg

RobsNanoLagoon

wow thats perfect. thanks for the pics ! looks awesome. Now gotta find one :haha: lol. 

Nomoreammo I thought about the ghost but its loud and i heard the microbubles are unstoppable. Ill keep you posted. thanks for the advice on the water changes. 

• Like 1

keep your bioload and feeding low and do waterchanges every 2 weeks, you can still go skimmerless.

Set up a refugium- quiet and efficient

With waterchanges every 2 weeks, you'll eventually need to dose.

RobsNanoLagoon

yes I have chaeto refugium setup in the other compartment. Ive been thinking about going skimerless but I plan on adding a lot to this tank gradually. so right now its not a problem, but I will need one down the line. Yea bi-weekly water changes is what im going for. Ive had a biocube before and this method worked well for me, I do agree dosing is a must for bi-weekly. thanks Clown79 :biggrin:

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef

Looking good so far! I love the clowns especially the bar pattern on that one. I would turn the pump off when you record the top down shots, I’m a sucker for those as you’ve probably seen. 

Do you have a journal? I found just this thread of yours. 

RobsNanoLagoon

Not yet I’m getting enough content. Still have a few videos I need to record. Yea the top down is literally the reason why I got the shallow lagoon style. Always love that aspect when you go to an LFS and check out corals. 

• Like 1