ReefCleaners.org

What the hell is this thing?? A slug/Nudibranch?

Chaz88

So I dip all my coral before putting them in the tank. My parameters are all pretty much in range. For the first couple months, everything was great... but for some reason, my clove coral started dying. Today, I see this lil POS crawling out of it. What the hell is it?

1541032475_ScreenShot2018-05-18at6_50_47PM.png.8992ba18a7e8d0ea95d9500c92db9f72.png

BustytheSnowMaam

It's some type of coral-eating nudi.  They're usually specialized feeders, this one is probably a type that specializes on cloves.  What are you dipping your corals in?  FW?

8 minutes ago, tashayar said:

It's some type of coral-eating nudi.  They're usually specialized feeders, this one is probably a type that specializes on cloves.  What are you dipping your corals in?  FW?

thank you so much!! DEF getting rid of it. I dip mine in Seachem's Coral Dip, followed the instructions to a T. I think i'm switching over to Coral RX from now onwards.

BustytheSnowMaam

I don't think that medicated dips will remove nudis or parasites.  I haven't tried them, so I don't know that for sure.  I dip corals (esp zoas) in freshwater.  A lot of unwanted hitchhikers can't handle the hyposalinity and things like nudis will drop right off.  Just hold the coral under the water and swish it back and forth for about 10 seconds.  

Chances are if you had one, you have more.  They like to lay eggs on whatever they eat.  So if that was found eating cloves, check around the clove frag, near it and under it.

• Like 1