SaltCritters.com

Converting a Jellyfish tank

Plauri

I have been reef keeping for a while now with very good success. Recently I purchased a JellyTank and that, to say the least, has been a total failure. After 3 attempts at keeping jellies I must give up. And believe me I did the research.

So now I have this beautiful (and expensive) Jellyfish tank and no inhabitants. Any thoughts on converting it to hold some nano fish? It's five gallons, with kriesel flow, mechanical filtration and ceramic bio balls.  I thought of dwarf seahorses but research shows I would once again be in a difficult situation.

Open to any ideas.

Christopher Marks

Do you have a photo of the tank or a link to a product page? Jellyfish tanks tend to have unusual circular flow, changing that may allow you to use it as a traditional tank.

It's the JellyTank from Kickstarter. JellyTank.com.

It does have a circular flow. Not really sure that could be changed. 

I could add a heater to the pump chamber, already has an airstone and mechanical filtration in the back chamber. That's about it. Built in LED lights but nothing that would support corals. I was thinking maybe just a couple of tiny fish and or shrimp.

Christopher Marks

Hmm, that will be tough without much lighting available. Maybe you could make a macro algae biotope and leave the macro algae free floating and tumbling in the current? You could keep some shrimp in there as well. A submersible refugium light would help the macro algae grow and should work with the jelly tank design. 

How’s that sound?

I think @Subsea has a free floating macro algae tank going if I recall. Check out their topics. 

Yes, I do tumble culture employing a vertical loop current.  In my application, I circulate aggressively.  It could easily be slowed down for display purposes.  A good macro algae to tumble would be Dragons Breath. With the right lighting Ulvae would be the bomb.    Picture shows one inside 55G production tank of Gracilaria HayI.  Hayi would display well.  It really depends on the flow dynamics in your tank as to which to use.  Dragons Breath & Ulva would be more suitable to lower flow.

image.jpg

• Like 1

That tank is very cool and with modification you could do fish only, inverts, and possibly macro. I'm not very knowledgeable on macro so i'll leave that to others who are.

You would need to add a powerhead in the tank but you can get small ones like the hydor Pico which is great for a 5g.

For the filter compartment. Could you take a pic so we can guide you on that.

You could do a tailspot blenny, hermit crabs, sexy shrimp, and possibly mushroom corals that don't need high light.

• Like 1

If you decide to do a free floating macro setup there are species of fish and inverts that specialize in living in it  you could probably get.  Might be harder to find em but they are out there.  

You could also throw sand in the bottom which will sort of change the flow dynamic  a bit, and some live rock with some non-photo corals like dendro's or NPS gorgonians.

IMO I think you have a lot of options with this tank even though you are severely limited on space and add-ons.  As long as you can get the water warm enough anyway.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

I like that idea for NPS corals @mndfreeze! 👍

On 5/20/2018 at 2:39 PM, jesseatam said:

You should totally start a build thread if you end up converting it 😁

Here here! Let us know if you decide to tackle the project @Plauri 🙂 

That tank would make a great tank for trying to breed sex shrimp , cleaner shrimp or other inverts  if you could get the circulation to keep the eggs out of the over flow. Kriesiel flow is needed for the hatching of a few inverts.

• Like 1