Pod Your Reef

Pump placement opinions please

Txocicat

Hi.  Newbie here.  Freshwater for a long time, new to saltwater.  I'm trying my best to read through before posting and although I have found what I think is my answer, I would like to hear some opinions/recommendations from experienced keepers before I stick my hands in my water prematurely.

I have a BioCube32 and am 3 weeks in to cycle.  I have two LFS that I am working with as I don't know what I'm doing so I don't know what to look out for in the way of mis-guidance, so I figure two LFS is better than one and I can take in more information that way.

That being said...I had my water tested for the first time at 2 weeks in.  I took samples to both LFS and then tested using my at home test after just to see how all the results came out.  LFS No1 said no ammonia, no nitrite, no nitrate, I'm looking good, keep it up, if I wanna add CUC I can, but wait for fish for two more weeks.  LFS No2 said ammonia is low, no nitrate, no nitrite, I'm looking good, keep it up, if I wanna add CUC I can, but wait for fish for two more weeks.

So, since both LFS said I was safe to add CFC, I did.  I have 10 hermit crabs, two nassarius snails, two trocus snails, two turbo snails, and 1 fighting conch.

I came home, tested my water, same as LFS No2.

So, I still have a few more weeks to wait before fish/coral will be introduced, but in the meantime I am wanting to go ahead and get my pumps added and my controller set up.  I don't want to be sticking my hands in the water adjusting and readjusting my pumps, so before I do, I thought I would take this opportunity to introduce myself a bit and get some opinions about placement and then I can take it all into consideration.

I am posting a front view and side view of my tank so you can see how much room I have on all sides of the rock.  Currently, I am thinking/planning on placing a pump just to the left of the return and below, flow towards center of front glass and placing a second pump on the right side, about two inches above the lower intake slots, again, pointed toward the center front of the glass, with about a 6-7 second alternating pump cycle. (both pumps are Koralia Nano 425)

Please feel free to give any pointers, let me know if you feel one or both of my LFS are steering me incorrectly.  As I said, I'm trying to read and absorb as much as possible, but appreciate experienced opinions as well. 

BioCube 32 Side 3 wks.jpg

BioCube 32 front 3 wks.jpg

banasophia

Looks nice!!! Wish I had gone for a 32 instead of a 16! I like your aquascaping, and the look of the sand. I’m a newbie myself, so I’ll leave it to others to make recommendations on pump placement.

It's difficult for anyone to really say where your pump should be placed.

Pump placement depends on the rock work and corals. You have to physically see the water movement to know if it's correctly placed.

You can't avoid having your hands in the tank to adjust the powerhead for the best water movement.

Your hands will be in there for maintenance.

I would also be cautious with the LFS advice and start doing a lot of research. Without knowledge comes failure and in this hobby knowledge is like finding gold.

0 nitrates to me, shows no cycle has started or completed. Everything being 0 Doesn't mean safe.

When a cycle is completed, there are nitrates.

That's the nitrogen cycle. 

Testing should be started within days of start up to watch ammonia rise and fall, nitrite do the same, and the final process is nitrate which doesn't process to 0.

You say you have no nitrates. How did you cycle the tank and what rocks did you use.

You have no algae in the pick, you need to provide food for the cuc or they will die.

You have a large cuc for a new tank and a conch shouldn't be in a new tank. 

For the power head I usual start off by putting it half way up the glass and pointing it up to the surface and see how things go from there.

+1 on the cycle not having started yet

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Clown79 said:

hen a cycle is completed, there are nitrates.

That's the nitrogen cycle. 

Testing should be started within days of start up to watch ammonia rise and fall, nitrite do the same, and the final process is nitrate which doesn't process to 0.

Same as I was 🤔 

Until I got an mp10 I ran the same pumps. What I did was aim the return at the water surface and towards the intank chamber to help skim the surface. Add the other pump just below the return and aim downish and to the side glass , and do the same thing with the second pump but on the other side below the return chamber. Gave a nice flow and when the two currents hit in the middle it would push water towards the back flushing detruis out the back of the rocks towards the sides for easy removal.

and don’t worry to much about haveing hands in the tank. Just make sure they are clean and lotion free..  you will have to mess with placement more once you get corals and adjust to their liking..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Levels are holding strong, very low ammonia, which I can't tell is actually my water or my test kit (I've read and been told API isn't always as accurate in ammonia as some) In reading, reading, reading and reading some more, I realize there's just no way we missed the increase in nitrates/nitrites, but my LFS keeps insisting I'm ok.  (I had them both test my water again today with the same results) So, we're waiting.  I am irritated that I listened to both of LFS's advise that I was ok to add what I have if my levels spike and everyone dies.  On that note, everyone is fine as the levels are still the same.  I have plenty of algae, you just couldn't see it in the first pic.  I threw in some slightly larger empty crab shells, just in case the little guys do thrive, they're gonna need new homes as they grow.  Oh, and a barnacle for the blenny in our future (hopefully).  I ready blennys like empty barnacle shells, anyone else use one?

Oh, and duh, I placed my pumps pretty much exactly like the post above by Wiekel and so far am loving what I see of the flow.  We add bits of seaweed and frozen marine cuisine for the cuc to eat about every other day and while I do kick the pumps into feeding mode, when I turn them back on and see the flow of what's left, I like what I see.  No dead areas, no build up of any debris thus far in the back of the tank behind the rock.  I also change my filter floss the morning after I feed to get any large debris it picked up, out.

Regarding the nitrates being low. I didnt see in the big post above what kind of rock was used when you setup. Based just on the photos it looks like you got cured live rock. Is that the case? Was the rock wet when you bought it? If that is the case that would explain the numbers. I’ve set up tanks with cured live rock and waited only days before adding the first fish with no ammonia problems. 

Yes, I looked up my receipts to be sure and it is indeed cured live rock.  I did neglect that detail in my original post, and it is a big one, my apologies.