Coral Vue Hydros

Submersible light in the back as a refugium?

Joseph93

I tried with a different light. Chato did not grow well and sent pieces into the display. I felt it was a bit of a waste. 

Edit. I should’ve added that I have the same tank. 

They make a magnetically mounted light that sticks into the outside of the tank. Coupled with a potentiometer for dimming it makes a very good fuge light for me. 

10 minutes ago, dandelion said:

They make a magnetically mounted light that sticks into the outside of the tank. Coupled with a potentiometer for dimming it makes a very good fuge light for me. 

That sounds like the light I had. I didn’t have it dimmed though. Maybe that was part of my problem. 

Had one of these a long time ago and it worked... they sell them as fountain pumps... little halogen bulbs... they burn out now and again but I had bought a huge box of them cheap. I don't know how others compare to the inTank one though, don't think he sells them anymore. It probably does add heat being halogen and all...

It didn't make sense to me that it did seem to work and grow cheato since cheato is blocking the light to itself... I did get growth though... 

https://reefbuilders.com/2011/08/31/submersible-refugium-light/

I used a very similar light in my IM14. It did grow chaeto but I found the flow through the chamber wasn’t fast and green slime algae grew all over the chaeto. I was just using the stock 211 gph pump so maybe a more powerful pump would lessen that.

A Little Blue

Sea Grapes doesn’t grow as thick as Chaeto (easy to grow and it won’t clog return pump or get into display). It also allows for better flow and light penetration. Not familiar with any of above mentioned light suggestions so I can't say much about that. What I can say is, that light is very important factor of any fuge that grows macro algae. 

Since filtration space in such a small tank is very precious, I would consider hang on the back algae reactor with rope led light wrapped around it as a solution (if there is enough space behind it and given that it is within budget). On the cheap side, finnex HOB breeder box might work as well. The only light under $100 that I can recommend from some experience is IM Chaeto Max. Clean look with many mounting options and will definitely grow macros. 

I’ll second that on the IM Chaeto Max light. I’m now using one in the sump in my new tank and it’s defintley growing some chaeto! 

Brandon0921

Anyone able to accomplish a fuge without spilling any light into the room on their IM 10's?  Love the idea, wondering if its possible without the added light.