Innovative Marine Aquariums

Plumbing an aqueon reef ready tank

c_man7

I'm picking up an aqueon reef ready tank. It has the single offset overflow 1"drain 3/4" return.

It doesn't come with any plumbing. I'm trying to see whats the best/quietest way to run this tank.

Should I get the aqueon megaflow kit

build my own kit

or run the tank herbie style 1" full siphon and 3/4" emergency and have my returns up over the top of the tank?

The tank is actually going to be freshwater, I just haven't had any luck on those forums

I have a 26.5x12x15 wet dry sump with 4.5gallons of bioballs and I plan to run either the jebao dcp-5000 or 6500.

Will also run a cannister along side the sump as well.

Just looking for some advice here. Thanks in advance.

luckie1966

I Just setup a 60 gal. Marineland reef ready cube with a eshopps medium cube sump and a dcp 6500 pump. The cube came with a Marineland Drain kit which I seen on sale at Amazon. More or less 1'' bulk heads, 1 1/4 '' drain and a 1'' return. It's easy to make if ya seen one but what your spend on pipe, fittings, and glue your practically there in price and it's made already. I thought about emergency drain and over the top with return but I wanted everything hidden so no overtop return. So far tanks been running since December and it could be left running for over a week and  no problem  with maintenance.  Since I used eshops sump they sell a plumbing kit. Two nice valves with unions and a disconnect. I would look into valves unions on amazon, there huge but really nice. Put one on pump side and one on drain side for maintenance. Pumps valve is wide open but drain valve I adjust for flow. I also for future I put in a T which is capped  on pump side for whatever in future. Now for pump, it runs at 24% lol. It's a nice pump and I suggest it but go with 5000 and even that you will scale back. Hope that helps. P :}