Coral Vue Hydros

Some sort of encrusting coral (or sponge)

Joevember

I've got this coral (may even be a sponge) on my rock from craigslist, and it's growing in great. The problem is I don't know what it is. It has a calcified skeleton, nothing moves, and it turns plae if I spray it with a baster.

If you can see in the picture, it has lines running all across the surface. It also has no real 'form', it only covers the rock.

20180515_202959.jpg

20180516_201346.jpg

1526519663906808098260729513373.jpg

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Joevember said:

I've got this coral (may even be a sponge) on my rock from craigslist, and it's growing in great. The problem is I don't know what it is. It has a calcified skeleton, nothing moves, and it turns plae if I spray it with a baster.

If you can see in the picture, it has lines running all across the surface. It also has no real 'form', it only covers the rock.

20180515_202959.jpg

20180516_201346.jpg

1526519663906808098260729513373.jpg

Leptoseris maybe. 

Or Psammocora

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

Definitely a lepto.  I have a bright neon yellow one with dark lines and it looks ####ing amazing under LED's.

Everytime I put on just the blues it's always the brightest coral 

Definitely leptoseris, and very nice looking.  As it matures it will develop more 'texture' on its surface, and it will possibly also plate out in areas where it needs to extend to reach the light.  Those plates will make for easy fraggin'.

IME, they are quite forgiving to large range of light and flow intensities.  However, I have noticed the sweeper tentacles come out more in areas of high light and low to moderate flow.  In my tank, the Jack-O-Lantern is way more likely to put out sweepers than the Tangerine Juice variety.  Also, the skin seems to grow thicker in low light, though it encrusts much more slowly.  

It's one of my favorite types of encrusting coral.  Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never noticed sweepers on mine, but its still only encrusted on the plug and the patterns are small.  It does have  mouths all over it.  I'm still trying to find a good place to perm glue mine down since they grow fairly quickly and I have such limited room.

this is likely a jack o lantern leptoseris. At night, you should see it extened sweeper tentacles (1-2 inches at max), not as bad as galaxea. Grows moderately fast