Top Shelf Aquatics

40 breeder rimless glass thickness

TotesMaGoat

TotesMaGoat

I bought a used rimless 35x17x17 tank. Glass looks to be 1/4” thick. Leak tested it for a week and did not see any noticeable bowing. Wishing it was 3/8”, should I be concerned? Has a “pleco system” sticker on it but have never heard of that mfg before, cannot find either. If it was from a reputable maker I would not be as hesitant to use it

There’s a site out there and I don’t remember what it’s called. Try googling aquarium glass calculator or some other like terms. It’ll tell you recommended glass thickness when you enter the dimensions. 

1/4th seems ehhh... Aquamaxx makes a tank with similar dimensions and they use 12mm glass. If you are going to risk it... I would at least eurobrace it.

Honeslty though, you could just buy an aquamaxx.... $350 is nothing in this hobby and at least you will know your tank is quality and you won't come home to $100's of dollars of coral on the floor.

https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_Premium_Cuboid_Low_Iron_Rimless_Aquarium_48.2_Gallon_Nano_Cube_Aquariums_Tanks_Over_40_Gallons-AquaMaxx-UJ94562-FIAQNCNTOF-vi.html

• Like 1
TotesMaGoat
6 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

1/4th seems ehhh... Aquamaxx makes a tank with similar dimensions and they use 12mm glass. If you are going to risk it... I would at least eurobrace it.

Honeslty though, you could just buy an aquamaxx.... $350 is nothing in this hobby and at least you will know your tank is quality and you won't come home to $100's of dollars of coral on the floor.

https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_Premium_Cuboid_Low_Iron_Rimless_Aquarium_48.2_Gallon_Nano_Cube_Aquariums_Tanks_Over_40_Gallons-AquaMaxx-UJ94562-FIAQNCNTOF-vi.html

The aquamaxx is 500 after shipping, I’ll just replace it was a rimmed tank

19 minutes ago, TotesMaGoat said:

The aquamaxx is 500 after shipping, I’ll just replace it was a rimmed tank

Eurobracing was a good suggestion.  Is the bottom trim still on the tank?

TotesMaGoat
Just now, Type-H20 said:

Eurobracing was a good suggestion.  Is the bottom trim still on the tank?

There is no trim top or bottom

7706AE4E-0626-44B1-A9BD-1C780A6B8510.jpeg

That looks like a wet floor waiting to happen.

There was a poster on here a few years ago bragging about removing the rim from a 40 breeder, convinced it would work.  He suddenly vanished.  :D   I don't know enough about glass and seams to really say if this will hold or not, but I would put a brace on it, for sure.

TotesMaGoat

I appreciate the feedback guys. Just to clarify I didn’t remove any trim. It was built as a rimless. My gut says it is too thin, but previous owner used it several years and was obviously built to be run as is. I would not de-rim a rimmed tank. Looking around I’d prolly go with a Nuvo 50 ext or aquamaxx 32. But looking at the savings if I kept this tank, I could get my rodi and ato and prolly be good with it

17 minutes ago, TotesMaGoat said:

I appreciate the feedback guys. Just to clarify I didn’t remove any trim. It was built as a rimless. My gut says it is too thin, but previous owner used it several years and was obviously built to be run as is. I would not de-rim a rimmed tank. Looking around I’d prolly go with a Nuvo 50 ext or aquamaxx 32. But looking at the savings if I kept this tank, I could get my rodi and ato and prolly be good with it

Eurobrace it :) Added bonus is it helps keep fish in.

TotesMaGoat

Dang! Just the way she goes, boys. If I’m going to put any money in bracing I’d rather get a new tank. Don’t want to risk that sh**nami washing up on the wood floors

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, TotesMaGoat said:

Dang! Just the way she goes, boys. If I’m going to put any money in bracing I’d rather get a new tank. Don’t want to risk that sh**nami washing up on the wood floors

Way she goes, boys, ####ing way she goes. Really the brace is cheap compared to rebuilding 

29 minutes ago, TotesMaGoat said:

Not that it’s gonna be a mustard tiger shitticane. We’re talking small piece of glass on a perfectly fine tank here. Hell, you could title the build “dirty sassy 40b”.