SaltCritters.com

Would a CBS be OK?

Draco

I have a Coral Banded Shrimp in my 75g tank that needs to be removed (I need to get a pair of harlequin shrimps to combat asterina star problems).

I am thinking about moving the CBS to my 9g nano. it has a pair of smaller clowns and some peppermint shrimps (I'll move the peps to my 75g).

Would the CBS be OK in the 9g tank or is it too small for him?

14 minutes ago, Draco said:

I have a Coral Banded Shrimp in my 75g tank that needs to be removed (I need to get a pair of harlequin shrimps to combat asterina star problems).

I am thinking about moving the CBS to my 9g nano. it has a pair of smaller clowns and some peppermint shrimps (I'll move the peps to my 75g).

Would the CBS be OK in the 9g tank or is it too small for him?

I’m sure others will chime in but that seems small for such an aggressive shrimp especially after living in the 75g. Did he have a big territory in the 75 or stay in one area?

• Like 2
A Little Blue

It’s too small for pair of clowns (in a long run. I’m guessing that it’s just a quarantine/holding tank). CBS should be fine but it might harass tinny Clowns or any member of CUC crew that might be present. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I’m sure others will chime in but that seems small for such an aggressive shrimp especially after living in the 75g. Did he have a big territory in the 75 or stay in one area?

he pretty much stayed in one spot behind a rock, but he does move around at night.

I am going back and forth on what to do with him. I'd hate to rehome him as I've had him for nearly 2 years with no issues. Not sure if I want to take the risk with expensive shrimp like harleys with him.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
1 minute ago, Draco said:

he pretty much stayed in one spot behind a rock, but he does move around at night.

I am going back and forth on what to do with him. I'd hate to rehome him as I've had him for nearly 2 years with no issues. Not sure if I want to take the risk with expensive shrimp like harleys with him.

It’s a valid concern. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

How bad are your asterinas that you need shrimp to eat them?  Are they doing damage or just unsightly?

it's pretty bad, lol. They're crawling over my zoas and are killing them. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Draco said:

it's pretty bad, lol. They're crawling over my zoas and are killing them. 

Just wanted to ask. Sometimes they don’t do much but eat algae ........but then sometimes they are a problem.  Any locals that could babysit for awhile?

wow!!! Just saw the pic. 

• Like 1

Bumblebees are harder to find. My LFS just got a shipment of Harley's in today and he's letting them pair off for me before I buy.

I could put my CBS in my sump if the 9g is too small. Sump isn't too much  bigger but still a place to put him?

(of course, i would feed the harley's long term too)

• Like 2

Bumblebees are harder to find. My LFS just got a shipment of Harley's in today and he's letting them pair off for me before I buy.

I could put my CBS in my sump if the 9g is too small. Sump isn't too much  bigger but still a place to put him?

To the sump!! ??

• Like 1

lol, sump it is. I posted on my local reef club forum to see if anyone wants him. Id rather him go to a home than be hidden in a sump.

best way to get him out? He's a bit intimidating to me, lol

• Like 1
A Little Blue
3 minutes ago, Draco said:

I would take that route. 

lol, sump it is. I posted on my local reef club forum to see if anyone wants him. Id rather him go to a home than be hidden in a sump.

best way to get him out? He's a bit intimidating to me, lol

Think of it as his final resting place. 🤣

• Like 1
A Little Blue
Just now, Draco said:

I fee bad, lol. He's been with me for nearly 2 years!

He will be fine. No stress, no worries, playing bingo all day long 😉

2 minutes ago, Draco said:

now I want to play bingo. 😂

thanks all :) I'll have to figure out how to get him in the sump tonight. 

Just stick your finger in there and when he pinches it, pull him out. 😅

Just now, WV Reefer said:

Just stick your finger in there and when he pinches it, pull him out. 😅

Eek! That's what scares me about him! LOL. He's huge. almost 4"!  I may take the breeder's net and try to snatch him up with food

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 5/17/2018 at 6:14 AM, Draco said:

Eek! That's what scares me about him! LOL. He's huge. almost 4"!  I may take the breeder's net and try to snatch him up with food

mine bites me! would never buy a cbs again. he ate my coral, my hermits, and to top it all off, he killed my clown.