Weikel

Power strip ideas??

So reef nerds I know some of you take as much pride in your equipment as your tanks. Myself I like seeing a clean equipment set up as much as a nice reef. That being said my set up is a mash of wiring.  I know I can make the wiring look clean but I am at a loss for a good large power strip. I need a strip that I can mount and has at least 8 outlets preferably 10..  oh and hopefully not over a 100 bucks..

Any ideas would be AWESOME.  Thanks in advance.. 

I have used an American DJ Powerstrip on several setups with no issues, and all of the cords can be hidden in the back fairly easily. 

• Thanks 1

Access to belly of the beast is restricted to ONE person 😉 so I don’t really care that much about “esthetics” in that area. 

But I like functionality on reasonable budget. I use 2 WiFi power bars (4 outlets each), one single WiFi plug and 4 always ON outlets. Zip-ties, wire management products and double sided tape. That’s about it. Nothing fancy. But I can’t wait to see some real candy😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Access to belly of the beast is restricted to ONE person 😉 so I don’t really care that much about “esthetics” in that area. 

But I like functionality on reasonable budget. I use 2 WiFi power bars (4 outlets each), one single WiFi plug and 4 always ON outlets. Zip-ties, wire management products and double sided tape. That’s about it. Nothing fancy. But I can’t wait to see some real candy😃

Haha I dunno about myself and eye candy but I can make what little I have look clean if I can find a power strip.. I'm on my running a 32 biocube 😁

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wmich2008 said:

I have used an American DJ Powerstrip on several setups with no issues, and all of the cords can be hidden in the back fairly easily. 

Hmmm I will check into that. I didn't think about a rack mount strip like that have on dj equipment or server towers

Complete noob here, but my set up uses an American DJ powerstrip. Clean looking, and I like that every outlet has it's own switch. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Hmmm I will check into that. I didn't think about a rack mount strip like that have on dj equipment or server towers

Yea, it works well. I mounted it vertically along the side of the stand and tucked all of the cords along the side. Keeps everything nice and organized. 

I also use the DJ strip. Been really nice, will probably add some WiFi plugs to it in the near future. I have it mounted below the kitchen counter where the tank sits as demonstrated by the picture below. 

8063D55B-607D-4CB9-A9D7-CC39E6763628.jpeg

• Like 2

I’ll add that those adj strips are nice. Also add that a clean look requires either enough space to hide or neatly arrange wires. Honestly, In my line of work when I see a tie wrap/zip tie whatever, I just think that the ####er doesn’t know how to form a wire or cable, assume the installer hasn’t been through an IBEW apprenticeship. 

All that being said, the teeny tiny cabinet I keep stuff like that in is a god damn mess. Maybe one day I’ll properly trim down the power cords and hoses but it ain’t no day soon. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

I also use the DJ strip. Been really nice, will probably add some WiFi plugs to it in the near future. I have it mounted below the kitchen counter where the tank sits as demonstrated by the picture below. 

8063D55B-607D-4CB9-A9D7-CC39E6763628.jpeg

Nice.. Yea I saw this in your thread and that's when I realized I needed to up my game.. plus I just bought a doser

6 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

I’ll add that those adj strips are nice. Also add that a clean look requires either enough space to hide or neatly arrange wires. Honestly, In my line of work when I see a tie wrap/zip tie whatever, I just think that the ####er doesn’t know how to form a wire or cable, assume the installer hasn’t been through an IBEW apprenticeship. 

All that being said, the teeny tiny cabinet I keep stuff like that in is a god damn mess. Maybe one day I’ll properly trim down the power cords and hoses but it ain’t no day soon. 

Awww shit I used to respect you now that I know you are union .. well.. haha jk.. no tie wraps come on now you must use them with smaller wire say when your building a plc or what not.  I am afraid to use tie wraps on this though bc maintenance wise it would be a bitch 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Awww shit I used to respect you now that I know you are union .. well.. haha jk.. no tie wraps come on now you must use them with smaller wire say when your building a plc or what not.  I am afraid to use tie wraps on this though bc maintenance wise it would be a bitch 

Plcs we use panduit ( autocorrected to pantsuit maybe I should’ve left it ). Honestly is all copper wire and insulation, enough time and maybe a bit of heat to help you can form wires without 🐀 parts and make it look good. Actually, if you got some panduit and the covers, cheap as #### and American made (most of it) you could use it to hide tie wraps and make it look like a car plant. 

I kinda kid around, plenty of IBEW inside JWs use tie wraps. I consider them wormy and unskilled though. 

Edit: like I said before, the little cabinet I use for hiding shit is worse than non union and that shit is usually a joke. 

13 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Nice.. Yea I saw this in your thread and that's when I realized I needed to up my game.. plus I just bought a doser

Definitely not trying to show off, having read any of my thread you know my tank is basically the living embodiment of the 2002 Nick Nolte mug shot. However, I thought this was a good thread, similar to a thread that inspired me to manage my outlets/cables like I did (for better or for worse), and hoped I could give someone else an idea to improve upon my concept.

Unfortunately, as demonstrated above I have am one of those ####ers who definitely would have failed out of the IBEW, because I used Velcro cable ties like my life depended on it. Just choose to hide it behind flexible conduit (or whatever it’s called). 

9 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Plcs we use panduit ( autocorrected to pantsuit maybe I should’ve left it ). Honestly is all copper wire and insulation, enough time and maybe a bit of heat to help you can form wires without 🐀 parts and make it look good. Actually, if you got some panduit and the covers, cheap as #### and American made (most of it) you could use it to hide tie wraps and make it look like a car plant. 

I kinda kid around, plenty of IBEW inside JWs use tie wraps. I consider them wormy and unskilled though. 

Edit: like I said before, the little cabinet I use for hiding shit is worse than non union and that shit is usually a joke. 

Yea I might go pantsuit  😉 route.  I'm a non union guy so I just have to give you shit. Hey i don't mind unions though let's me keep my rates up haha

4 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Definitely not trying to show off, having read any of my thread you know my tank is basically the living embodiment of the 2002 Nick Nolte mug shot. However, I thought this was a good thread, similar to a thread that inspired me to manage my outlets/cables like I did (for better or for worse), and hoped I could give someone else an idea to improve upon my concept.

Unfortunately, as demonstrated above I have am one of those ####ers who definitely would have failed out of the IBEW, because I used Velcro cable ties like my life depended on it. Just choose to hide it behind flexible conduit (or whatever it’s called). 

Ha no I like your setup looks nice and I enjoy your threads .. the shit talking in the frag contest keeps me signing in on Friday's 😲.. keep it up buddy some of us enjoy some friendly shit talking and humor . I have been meaning to tag @1891Bro in that thread as is might add a little more shit to the pot...

45 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Yea I might go pantsuit  😉 route.  I'm a non union guy so I just have to give you shit. Hey i don't mind unions though let's me keep my rates up haha

We are trying to make you more by making more than you.  Trust me. 

41 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Ha no I like your setup looks nice and I enjoy your threads .. the shit talking in the frag contest keeps me signing in on Friday's 😲.. keep it up buddy some of us enjoy some friendly shit talking and humor . I have been meaning to tag @1891Bro in that thread as is might add a little more shit to the pot...

Hope they got a big pot 

i downloaded a wheres the beef gif but it wasnt for this thread and I lost my place. Keep a lookout. I’ll find it. 

• Like 1

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions