Pod Your Reef

Digital Readers?

RedPhotog

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a digital testing device that reads salinity, SG, PH, Ammonia, Nit, etc...? 

Getting tiresome with the API kit and hydrometer that I have. Was wondering if there is an all in one digital device the community is using or knows about. Thanks! 

Ask your LFS if they will perform a test for you. I know several in our area that will test for customers and do it accurately.

There is no "all in one" digital test solution that I know of, short of a gas chromatography machine, which is what a commercial testing lab would probably use to test a water sample. There's a lot out there, but in my line of work, we use KAR labs and the tests run around $80 a pop. 

There's just too many specific molecules, elements and contaminants to test for in a water sample to make an accurate all in one tester. Some things aren't testable by probe, and titration testing is more accurate in some instances as well. Not to mention the calibration you'd need to do to ensure accuracy. Hanna Instruments does make a lot of digital testing kits but no all in ones really exist.

No all-in-one but some of the stuff you listed you don't need to test for anyways, or at least not often. Once cycle is done you don't need to test ammonia unless your tank is crashing and you suspect ammonia issue. Testing pH is almost always a waste of time as its best not to try and change it anyways.

I would just get a refractometer and a hanna alk as those are the two things you will test the most and they are quick/easy to use.

• Like 1
banasophia

I was using API kits and a refractometer, but I just got a Milwaukee digital refractometer a week ago, and I’m picking up some Hanna checkers this week. I think they are luxury items rather than necessities, but I enjoy gadgets (and I have a hard time discerning the color differences with the API tests).

• Like 1
A Little Blue

Calibrate your Milwaukee. It comes with two calibrating regents. However, one of the regents, provided inaccurate reading. As “luxury” as it may seem, it needs periodic calibration and accuracy verification. (It took third party calibration solutions to calibrate & verify accuracy on my Milwaukee) 

• Thanks 1
banasophia
5 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Calibrate your Milwaukee. It comes with two calibrating regents. However, one of the regents, provided inaccurate reading. As “luxury” as it may seem, it needs periodic calibration and accuracy verification. (It took third party calibration solutions to calibrate & verify accuracy on my Milwaukee) 

Yes, thanks! I calibrated with the steam distilled calibration water and then with the seawater calibration/validation solution that came with it. So far so good, and I like it much better than the regular refractometer I was using before.

A Little Blue
1 minute ago, banasophia said:

Yes, thanks! I calibrated with the steam distilled calibration water and then with the seawater calibration/validation solution that came with it. So far so good, and I like it much better than the regular refractometer I was using before.

No question about it. It’s a nice, quick and easy tool that I have learned to love over the years. 

• Thanks 1
A Little Blue
7 minutes ago, Ranjib said:

You won’t need ammonia test kit frequently once tank is established. Milwaukee has good ph and salinity readers 

Which ph reader? I have Hanna and hate it. 

banasophia
31 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Which ph reader? I have Hanna and hate it. 

I was thinking of getting the Hanna pH plus meter (along with some checkers) on Saturday... is that the one you have, and if so what is it you didn’t like about it?

A Little Blue
9 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I was thinking of getting the Hanna pH plus meter (along with some checkers) on Saturday... is that the one you have, and if so what is it you didn’t like about it?

Is it the one for like$40-$50? Not sure if it is the same one since I bought my years ago. It was almost inaccurate from the get go. Calibration was easy but didn’t hold up for long and the probe went out relatively quickly. Replacement wasn’t worth the $. 

43 minutes ago, Ranjib said:

Something like Milwaukee ph55, martini 

This one seems a lot better with plenty of available replaceable parts. I would get that over Hanna in a heartbeat. (Just from looking at the spects, my experience with Milwaukee brand and access to spare parts) 

• Like 1