ReefCleaners.org

Water Evap Question

Brian1313

I run an open top on my tank and have as expected a pretty decent water evap.  I do not run an ATO and just manually top off in the morning and before bed.  The last few days though I have not had to top off at all as it seems like no water is actually evaporating.  Has anyone ever experienced this.  This is very unusual for my tank.  I have checked 3 times because I just moved my tank a few week ago to make sure the stand and everything was level and everything is perfectly aligned.

I manually top up every morning. The amount of water replenished differs from time to time but I have never had a day where I haven't had to top up. 

me neither and I'm going on a day and half now its very weird.  No we have had some humid wet days where i live but I don't think that should effect it any

I wouldn't think that the tank being level or not would have anything to do with evaporation rate. Other than your visual line of sight of when to top off. Possibly the area you moved the tank to has different conditions in the room or area of the room and that's contributing to the different rate of evap

tanacharison

I would just check you temp to make sure it's where you want it.  Possible that tank is running cooler and evaporation is less. 

I guess it could be.  I have a peninsula style tank so I checked the level because i got nervous the one side was lower and the water was just running into the back chamber but its perfectly level

I checked that.  I run two neotherms in it and it is at a constant 80.6

My guess is it has to do with relative humidity and depends on where you live.  In my case the air is cold and dry in winter and although central heating warms the house, the air is still dry and it sucks moisture out of my tank.  In the summer it is humid and even with the a/c running there is more moisture in the air and so it pulls less from the tank.  We had a sudden warm, humid spell recently and evaporation dropped noticeably.  This may not apply to everyone, depending on conditions where you live.  But in my case, tank evaporation changes noticeably when there are big swings in humidity in the house.

Ya that is what has happend here.  I live in north east ohio and one day it snows and the next its 80 so i think its the weather and the room its in

• Like 1