ReefCleaners.org

Bounce Shrooms - Do You Have What it Takes?

SeaFurn

I was just looking at the post from Lengendary Corals of the WWC Bounce below. Beautful piece of coral, no doubt, but I’m curious - what kind of tank, what kind of parameters, and how much confidence in one’s ability (or simply how much of a gambler) would one have to be to buy such a piece?

No, I’m not considering it...and never would - too rich for my blood even if I had 20 years of reefing experience. But getting one of these your either a bad ass reefer or completely nuts. Would love to hear your thoughts! 

8BDD17C8-5D70-4885-91B8-A483F4AC774D.thumb.jpeg.ec6256bf7dfea2cc76c7f4fff9784b45.jpeg

Red_Blenny

The general idea is that if you can keep a regular rhodactis (or a discosoma), you can probably keep a Bounce. They generally enjoy low-med lighting and low-med indirect flow with some nutrients in the water.

2 minutes ago, Red_Blenny said:

The general idea is that if you can keep a regular rhodactis (or a discosoma), you can probably keep a Bounce. They generally enjoy low-med lighting and low-med indirect flow with some nutrients in the water.

So best to “practice” with the cheap ones first!

I guess I should have also mentioned I had just been reading the thread about the various corals that members couldn’t keep in alive in their tanks no matter what they tried....

43 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I was just looking at the post from Lengendary Corals of the WWC Bounce below. Beautful piece of coral, no doubt, but I’m curious - what kind of tank, what kind of parameters, and how much confidence in one’s ability (or simply how much of a gambler) would one have to be to buy such a piece?

No, I’m not considering it...and never would - too rich for my blood even if I had 20 years of reefing experience. But getting one of these your either a bad ass reefer or completely nuts. Would love to hear your thoughts! 

8BDD17C8-5D70-4885-91B8-A483F4AC774D.thumb.jpeg.ec6256bf7dfea2cc76c7f4fff9784b45.jpeg

I’m with you. I could afford it but why the #### would I buy it? There’s no way I could justify that to myself. 

• Like 1
Red_Blenny
24 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

So best to “practice” with the cheap ones first!

I guess I should have also mentioned I had just been reading the thread about the various corals that members couldn’t keep in alive in their tanks no matter what they tried....

"Cheap" shrooms are just as pretty (or for me, 1000X prettier) than the bounce. 

And yea, that would suck if someones buys a bounce and it turns out that that's the coral (or species type) they can't keep alive. 

• Like 1

My LFS has them for $150... seems prices are coming down locally anyways. It still didn't look worth it for $150. My LFS also had the superfreak shroom, same exact one Legendary corals has, they wanted $50 for it which was still too rich for me, I would pay the $35 Legendary is asking for it though. It was much nicer looking than the bounce in person.. side by side... for me that is. Everyone has their own opinions and likes. 

The thing to remember about shrooms they are generally easy to keep and you can propagate mushrooms by cutting them. The WWC bounce is definitely circulating around. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

I’m with you. I could afford it but why the #### would I buy it? There’s no way I could justify that to myself. 

I can’t even imagine trying to explain that purchase to Mrs Seafurn! I’d be swimming with the clown fish for sure.

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Red_Blenny said:

"Cheap" shrooms are just as pretty (or for me, 1000X prettier) than the bounce. 

And yea, that would suck if someones buys a bounce and it turns out that that's the coral (or species type) they can't keep alive. 

I’m guess it would be my - I can’t keep it alive coral! 

I agree that some of the “cheap” ones are just as nice.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

My LFS has them for $150... seems prices are coming down locally anyways. It still didn't look worth it for $150. My LFS also had the superfreak shroom, same exact one Legendary corals has, they wanted $50 for it which was still too rich for me, I would pay the $35 Legendary is asking for it though. It was much nicer looking than the bounce in person.. side by side... for me that is. Everyone has their own opinions and likes. 

I was wondering if it’s that they are just so rare, or hard to source, or just the coral of the month/year. 

I could swing $35 for a super freak. I’m still guessing it would be the coral I can’t keep alive though. No basis for that statement- just would be Murphy’s law. 

I have had one for about a year. Bought it as a booger and now its about the size of a silver dollar. I also have a few other bounce type shrooms. They are all different as some grow slow and others like weeds......

IMG_4805.jpg

IMG_4807.jpg

• Like 1
Just now, spectra said:

I have had one for about a year. Bought it as a booger and now its about the size of a silver dollar. I also have a few other bounce type shrooms. They are all different as some grow slow and others like weeds......

IMG_4805.jpg

IMG_4807.jpg

Hey Spectra! 

Those are nice! Expensive boogers? 

I wonder if anyone sells insurance on bounces? :lol:

Red_Blenny
11 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I was wondering if it’s that they are just so rare, or hard to source, or just the coral of the month/year. 

I could swing $35 for a super freak. I’m still guessing it would be the coral I can’t keep alive though. No basis for that statement- just would be Murphy’s law. 

Some care about lineage, some care about sizes (there are people who want to buy bounces that's like 3"+), some care about how bubbly/bouncy it looks, some want it for hype, and some just.... like it. Also, people assume that any rhodactis that looks like a bounce (or even has one tiny bubble), people will quadruple the price for them...

Most of the time, people just get a large bounce, cut it up into 5-10 little pieces, let them heal, and sell them to double your profit. 

Prices for shrooms also depends where you live; I see Superfreak shrooms locally for like $5-$10. 

• Like 1
Just now, Red_Blenny said:

Prices for shrooms also depends where you live; I see Superfreak shrooms locally for like $5-$10. 

It is funny how that works... the WWC being a lot cheaper at my LFS but the superfreak being more. Price just depends what is being passed around locally.

Just like anything my tastes in coral change over time.  I personally find corallimorphs to be some of my favorites.  Generally they don't cost a ton, they do well in my tanks, and there are a good variety of them out there.   

I saw some pea sized frags of the WWC bounce and they were going for $50 I think...  Seemed popular so I have no doubt that with all the people buying them hopefully more are propagating them which should help the prices normalize a bit.

1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

Hey Spectra! 

You can insure anything as long as you can afford the premium. 

• Like 1
Red_Blenny
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

It is funny how that works... the WWC being a lot cheaper at my LFS but the superfreak being more. Price just depends what is being passed around locally.

32 minutes ago, ajmckay said:

I saw some pea sized frags of the WWC bounce and they were going for $50 I think...  

A pea sized WWC Bounce would fetch $200-300 here..... So yea, prices definitely varies.

• Wow 1
MainelyReefer

Bounce talk on nanoreef!  I'll share my local purchases

Baby OG WWC bounce I got for $100

IMG_3400.thumb.jpg.421f210e5563dc7633594153c6bfac32.jpg

IMG_3793.GIF.c56002df4d2c52f682891e2f1da0510d.GIF

Baby OG WWC Bounce Booger I got for $50

IMG_3397.thumb.jpg.fd291ffab334a0048eabbb4a4c9d3432.jpg

I tend to agree that any more expensive than my purchase point and I wouldn't play the game(they sell nicer $200 frags too).  In regards to care, so far bounces have been very agreeable, both respond to reefroids when fed and attached to the plug fine, Med/high lighting, low upswelling flow.  If you find one cheap and want to buy it I would say do so knowing it will likely be ok assuming your getting healthy stock, this isn't buying a Walt Disney acro and watching it STN/RTN on your frag rack watching money float away. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, ajmckay said:

I saw some pea sized frags of the WWC bounce and they were going for $50 I think...  Seemed popular so I have no doubt that with all the people buying them hopefully more are propagating them which should help the prices normalize a bit.

That seems like a reasonable price. 

I wonder if there are varieties that coral vendors are intentionally keeping availability low to keep the prices especially  high.  

Seems like it would take a long time for average joes to frag enough to bring the prices down across the country. 

7 hours ago, Red_Blenny said:

I’m going to start paying more attention to local prices on these. I can’t say I see too many here in Atlanta. Must not be a big enough market. 

1 hour ago, GraniteReefer said:

Bounce talk on nanoreef!  I'll share my local purchases

Baby OG WWC bounce I got for $100

IMG_3400.thumb.jpg.421f210e5563dc7633594153c6bfac32.jpg

Baby OG WWC Bounce Booger I got for $50

IMG_3397.thumb.jpg.fd291ffab334a0048eabbb4a4c9d3432.jpg

I tend to agree that any more expensive than my purchase point and I wouldn't play the game(they sell nicer $200 frags too).  In regards to care, so far bounces have been very agreeable, both respond to reefroids when fed and attached to the plug fine, Med/high lighting, low upswelling flow.  If you find one cheap and want to buy it I would say do so knowing it will likely be ok assuming your getting healthy stock, this isn't buying a Walt Disney acro and watching it STN/RTN on your frag rack watching money float away. 

Those are nice!!

So how long before they are big enough to cut up and help bring prices down?!  

Seriously though - it does seem like people have a price point they won’t exceed no matter what the coral is. 

Do these get big? Obviously with the prices that little pieces fetch, I have seen many big ones. 

9 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Hey Spectra! 

Thanks and as for prices the OG was 200 shipped I think as it was a R2R purchase as no one local had them at the time. I do have another OG frag that I got local for a cheaper price though lately. I can frag that beauty in the pic ;) if it spits off a Babine but I am not cutting it.......the others were actually cheap locally as in under 40 I think. I also have a sunset bounce that has spit off probably 6 babies over a 8 month period. Great trading stock as I have traded for a few nice shrooms.