inTank Media Baskets

Proper Paragaurd use

Oklahoma reef

Oklahoma reef

I recently purchased a yellow clown goby from my LFS. There where 3 YCB in that tank and one of them was already peelling its color however i got one that had asmall ammount ofpeeling. After having the YCB for about 12 days it slowly started to get better and then about three days ago he started going down hill. after getting home from a comedy show tonight i see that he lost nearly 90% of his color in a 48 hour period. He has eaten once a day every day ( except one day when i did not feed). I feed a generous portion of PE mysis and V2o soft freeze zooplankton and remove the excess after about five mins. It appears that he eats about half a shrimp to a whole shrimp everyday and a few bites of the zoo food. I also feed seaweed every 3-4 days. what can i do to help him? 

After talking to some folks on the forum and speaking to my LFS we have come to the conclusion that its time for a medicated dip. after picking up some paragaurd im a little confused on the usage. While my LFS reccomended the dipping option, it says on the lable that the dip does nothing if the fish goes back into infected waters. will introducing the fish back into the tank void the dip? is it possible that the dip will still be usefull? after setting up a dip tank my little goby knows something is up and has decided to hide deep in some rock in the back of the tank... i will try feeding to get him out to scoop him up. If i cant get him out would it be okay to dose my tank with the paragaurd? instructions say 5 ML per 10 gallon. After doing some reading it seems that if i start off with a dose of 5ML for the whole tank i could get away with not removing my shrimp. Any suggestions?

20G long

4 bulb aquatic life t5- 4 different spectrum bulbs 

RW-4 wake maker 

2 Topfin 20 gallon rated HOB filters( one filled with chemipure elite, The other filter  floss) 

1-100w 1-200 w heaters 

8 Hermit crabs ( red and blue leg) 

1 trochus snails, 

2 nessarius snails 

2 marg snails 

1 osc clown( juvenile)

1 blue spotted yellow watchman goby

1 scooter Blenny

1 cleaner shrimp

1 rose pink sea urchin

1 yellow clown goby

A bunch of Xenia, GSP and zoa frags 

1 superman montipora

tempature 78-80f

salinty 1.24-1.26 ( tank swings every day due to daily top offs needed)

Nitrates 5ppm or less

phosphates .25 ppm or less

calcium 400

DKH- 12

. ----- link to original post with pictures.

2 minutes ago, Oklahoma reef said:

it says on the lable that the dip does nothing if the fish goes back into infected waters.

That might be if treating parasites (like Ich).  However, it should be fine if treating a local infection (bacterial, fungal, or viral).  However, good water quality will be important for recovery.

3 minutes ago, Oklahoma reef said:

If i cant get him out would it be okay to dose my tank with the paragaurd?

It's not 100% invert safe.  I wouldn't

• Like 2
Oklahoma reef
On 5/13/2018 at 4:01 PM, seabass said:

That might be if treating parasites (like Ich).  However, it should be fine if treating a local infection (bacterial, fungal, or viral).  However, good water quality will be important for recovery.

It's not 100% invert safe.  I wouldn't

After giving a 1 hour Paraguard dip he seemed fine. Acted fine in the dip. Went to the bottom of the tank for a couple mins then got up and started swimming. Woke up this morning and he is sleeping in his usual corner of the tank and I have watched my clown fish swim into him and he does not react. Is he on his way out? Should I dip again ? 

3 hours ago, Oklahoma reef said:

Is he on his way out?

Hard to say.  Possibly.

3 hours ago, Oklahoma reef said:

Should I dip again ?

If he's not doing well, I probably wouldn't.  Keep an eye on him and watch for signs of improvement.

Oklahoma reef
On 5/15/2018 at 9:36 AM, seabass said:

Hard to say.  Possibly.

If he's not doing well, I probably wouldn't.  Keep an eye on him and watch for signs of improvement.

UPDATE- today I came home from work and the YCB was deceased and being feasted on my a snail. Sad to see the little guy go. He was cute while he lasted but a lesson was definitely learned to be more careful when purchasing livestock. 

• Sad 1