Pod Your Reef

Is it cyano or diatoms or Dino’s?

aerotiy

Evening everyone,

I set up my Red Sea Max Nano about 3 weeks ago from an 8 month old Evo I had been running. I used about 10 pounds of the live rock that had been in that tank (started dry) and added 10 more pounds of dry pukani to fill it up. I was using seachem stability and API stress Zyme and also added purple helix to kick start some coralline algae. For the past week my algae problems have gotten considerably worse. I blast the rocks with a turkey baster and do water changes once a week like I always have. I’m running the stock media that came with the tank and the skimmer. The bio load consists of two percs a neon goby and a fire shrimp. I have 7 nerite snails and 2 ceriths. I just tested my water and results were:
Nitrate: 0 (much to my surprise, it’s never been 0, maybe from all the water changes)
Calcium: 455
Magnesium: 1410
Alk: 10.3 dKH
Salinity 1.025

I use Red Sea coral pro salt
Edit: the algae is brown and giving off air bubbles.. it’s stringy when I scrape it off using my mag float.. I have been looking at pics on the internet and can’t decide what it is but I hope to god it isn’t Dino’s...

7042276D-C9F4-4E96-BABF-36ED53A084CD.jpeg

8BAA66BA-2746-4B77-BAC0-C8C61DB7B924.jpeg

80E0A8A4-7BFB-4CB4-9CC3-021F1DAD5423.jpeg

4196B197-83AA-48E2-B9B3-9419C5C6BD65.jpeg

BeefyReefy
11 hours ago, aerotiy said:

Evening everyone,

I set up my Red Sea Max Nano about 3 weeks ago from an 8 month old Evo I had been running. I used about 10 pounds of the live rock that had been in that tank (started dry) and added 10 more pounds of dry pukani to fill it up. I was using seachem stability and API stress Zyme and also added purple helix to kick start some coralline algae. For the past week my algae problems have gotten considerably worse. I blast the rocks with a turkey baster and do water changes once a week like I always have. I’m running the stock media that came with the tank and the skimmer. The bio load consists of two percs a neon goby and a fire shrimp. I have 7 nerite snails and 2 ceriths. I just tested my water and results were:
Nitrate: 0 (much to my surprise, it’s never been 0, maybe from all the water changes)
Calcium: 455
Magnesium: 1410
Alk: 10.3 dKH
Salinity 1.025

I use Red Sea coral pro salt
Edit: the algae is brown and giving off air bubbles.. it’s stringy when I scrape it off using my mag float.. I have been looking at pics on the internet and can’t decide what it is but I hope to god it isn’t Dino’s...

7042276D-C9F4-4E96-BABF-36ED53A084CD.jpeg

8BAA66BA-2746-4B77-BAC0-C8C61DB7B924.jpeg

80E0A8A4-7BFB-4CB4-9CC3-021F1DAD5423.jpeg

4196B197-83AA-48E2-B9B3-9419C5C6BD65.jpeg

Looks like Cyano with some bubble algae and possibly Dinos. You could give a product called Chemi Clean a go. It will wipe out your Cyano in 48 hours. Then do a 30% water change and then try something like QFI DinoXal to rid your tank of Dino's, Diatoms, GHA etc. Then after that treatment do another 20% water change and reduce your lighting to 5-6 hours a day for a week and then slowly bring that back up to 8 - 12 hours a day.

I recently used QFI DinoXal for a Dino outbreak and it is amazing stuff. It gets rid of most algaes except Cyano.

That's just my 2 cents. 👍 Good luck!