Pod Your Reef

3d printing

patback

I'm looking to buy a 3d printer for some non-fish related projects I have in mind but was wondering if any of you have 3d printed for your tanks and what filament you used for it, how long they've been in your tank, what programs you used to design, etc.  I was thinking of the prusa i3 mk2s unless any of you have recommendations in a similar price point to look at?

• Like 1

I have the Flashforge Finder.  I love it.  Never had an issue(but I don't mod it like some folks do). Company updates there slicer software and firmware every couple of months.  I've printed a lot of wargaming figures and a few other items.  I designed and made a nozzle for a powerhead.  I use PLA filament.

• Like 2
Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I use the Prusa i3mk2s and love it (but it does require some tinkering to be at it's best).

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I'll look in to the other ones mentioned here.  Does anyone have a favorite software they're using?   I just spent a while making some gears and simple things on tinker just to mess around and get a feeling for it.  

I have the prusa mk3 and it was a breeze to set up and print with.  I get awesome quality prints out of it and I was completely new to 3d printing.  

• Like 1

I ended up actually just ordering the one harry linked earlier.  It was slightly cheaper than the prusa and free shipping vs. $49 and only a tiny bit smaller of a print ability than it.  Everything else seems to be relatively the same but I was reading other people saying that they had trouble with start ups with the prusa, which if you know me, I am not technologically savvy. I'll make sure to try to print out some cool stuff and hopefully post anything fish related to nano reef. :)

• Like 2

I have a Lulzbot Mini that is a good workhorse. The only minor issue is the build volume: 150 x 150 x 150. If I was in the market, I'd probably go for a Prusa Mk3. If I had the budget, might go for one of the Ultimakers. 

In terms of filament, I usually use Natural PLA (any brand, but eSun and Polylite are both good) -- just in case the dyes for the other color have something weird in them -- copper maybe? If I need something 100% safe, I use Taulman t-glase, but it costs about 4x as much as the natural PLA. If I need something strong, I'll use Taulman bridge. 

I have some designs on Thingiverse for different parts (test tube holder for API test kit, mini bonsai for freshwater) and I've been doing some specific designs for the Fluval Spec V/Evo, including: ATO holder, screen to prevent fish from jumping, pump holders, etc. I've also used it to print mounts for lights, mounts for cameras and more. Let me know if you have any questions, been doing 3D printing and fishkeeping together for some time. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 years later...

I forgot I ever posted this thread.  I'm actually literally right now working on octopus proofing my redsea reefer.  

Got the tolerances down perfect for a slip union that won't pull off without alot of force.  Now i need to design a diffuser to add to the union for the water outlet of my return. 20200729_182447.thumb.jpg.c67199871daacf9f5839b0b3eeb85ad9.jpg

My first design I ever made was actually this fish saver I made for my wife's mp10.

20200729_182546.thumb.jpg.81f22f3aebf3ae7c74242213b059ba6c.jpg

And a pic of her tank for the tank tax.  She is still planning on adding sand back in...whenever that may be. 20200729_182532.thumb.jpg.b9262117f59ee926067c1e9e6a872e87.jpg

I also printed a few things to help her organize but the double sided tape was not doing the job, so most of the stuff fell down.  Eventually I will re-make it in PETG and design them with better hanging options. 20200729_190552.thumb.jpg.25348dde6054f3dc5afca5ce9649ce9b.jpg

• Like 1

I have a prusa, they are a bit more expensive than other brands (800-1000) but are a great investment and very high quality. I have printed some fun signs, but only once have I really printed anything functional for my aquarium, it was just a little hook to hold some tubes for the filter in place. Not a lot of filaments hold water, as they are to pourus, but I have never had any problems regarding fish safety. I only have kept freshwater, and so it could be very very different for saltwater.