Cultivated Reef

Those with Picos at their work office desk - How do you handle making new salt water?

SonRK

Just picked up a 4g Waterbox that I want to use to grow out a centerpiece euphyllia, some zoanthids, and other softies that have movement so I can stare at something while I work. 

Equipment:

4G Waterbox

Nanobox Mini Tide

25W Neo-Therm Heater

Stock pump (trying to see if I can get a smalllll powerhead...maybe)
Nano Chemi Pure Blue 

What I'm trying to figure out is logistics on water-changes. With the equipment + rock it's about 3 gallons of water? So close to 100% water changes will be quick and easy. The thing is, I really can't be mixing salt water at the office. So I can bring it from home (my commute includes a 35 minute train ride though), or walk to the LFS that sells Nutri-Seawater (3-4 blocks in Manhattan) and just commit to overpaying for salt water. 

So my question to the people here are, how do you obtain the salt water for your office tanks, and when do you do the change? I guess I can hang out after-hours once a week to do it. 

• Like 2
JakeJekel37

I've got a 3.7 gallon Petco tank at work that holds exactly 3 gallons of water after rock and sand. I buy premix salt water from the lfs. Normally 2 gallons at a time. I also buy RO from them. I keep them in clearly marked 1 gallon jugs. I do a 1 gallon water change a week and top off with RO every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I top off just before I leave on Friday and first thing back on Monday (I occasionally will go in on the weekend since I live close by, but rarely).

At $1/gallon for salt water, I don't consider it overpaying simply for the convenience. My tank has a glass top that keeps evaporation to a minimum. It's the most successful tank I've had yet.

• Like 2

I have a Marineland AIO 3G on my desk I just setup last week. It holds about 2.5g after the rock and sand. Did my first water change today to advance the cycle. I've got a 5g bucket at home I'm mixing the SW in and I bought a 3g water jug from wal-mart for $7 (looks just like the 5g sparkletts jugs but smaller). It's much easier to manage than a 5g jug.

Also, for a small and powerful(ish) powerhead, I got this one. It's adjustable up to 130gph.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006K31WLC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

I tried to upgrade the pump to a Rio 180, it didn’t fit so don’t try! Good luck with the search, I’ll be following to see if you can find an upgrade. I ended up added a second small pump in the display. It’s hiding in the back behind the rocks. 

I have a five-gallon jug of LFS saltwater always heated to tank temp. Come in earlier one day a week and change out about 2 gallons from my 3 gallon tank.

Christopher Marks
On 5/12/2018 at 9:55 AM, SonRK said:

Just picked up a 4g Waterbox that I want to use to grow out a centerpiece euphyllia, some zoanthids, and other softies that have movement so I can stare at something while I work. 

Equipment:

4G Waterbox

Nanobox Mini Tide

25W Neo-Therm Heater

Stock pump (trying to see if I can get a smalllll powerhead...maybe)
Nano Chemi Pure Blue 

What I'm trying to figure out is logistics on water-changes. With the equipment + rock it's about 3 gallons of water? So close to 100% water changes will be quick and easy. The thing is, I really can't be mixing salt water at the office. So I can bring it from home (my commute includes a 35 minute train ride though), or walk to the LFS that sells Nutri-Seawater (3-4 blocks in Manhattan) and just commit to overpaying for salt water. 

So my question to the people here are, how do you obtain the salt water for your office tanks, and when do you do the change? I guess I can hang out after-hours once a week to do it. 

Life simplification I'd say, buy from the nearest LFS! It's worth the cost. Anything to make it easy on yourself, like carrying it in a courier backpack, 3 gallons at 24lbs isn't too bad for a few blocks. Who needs a gym when you have a pico reef, just carry 3 gallons of water to work! Take the stairs when that gets too easy 😄

Are you able to store a 3 or 5 gallon bucket with a few simple supplies at work? A spare heater would be ideal. You could store all your other rags/supplies/supplements/foods in another container that you can keep in the bucket when not in use.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I will probably come in on a weekend with saltwater I mix at home. I'll just hit up the LFS for a nice piece of rock and setup all the equipment. Sucks I have to commit to a 20lb bag of sand for a 4G tank!  Getting the Smart ATO next week.

There is an unused closet we aren't using. Not sure what its purpose will eventually be, but I imagine I can keep a 5G bucket, small powerhead, and heater to perform the changes. 

I'll try to get build thread up and running soon!

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I would just mix a 1 gallon water jug to your desired salinity and take it to work. Have one to empty the walmart in,mark them so you don't mix them up and dump the old water in the bathroom lol. 

1 minute ago, Reefkid88 said:

I would just mix a 1 gallon water jug to your desired salinity and take it to work. Have one to empty the walmart in,mark them so you don't mix them up and dump the old water in the bathroom lol. 

Did exactly this for 2 years. One 1g jug for SW and another for RODI under my desk where nobody could see them for my 2g pico.