inTank Media Baskets

Protein Skimmer Upgrade on a 25g

sapling

Hey guys, I've been incredibly busy with life the last few months with moving and work, that I wasn't able to focus too much on my reef keeping besides maintenance. Now that I am able to focus on it again, I have a question I am hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can help answer.

I currently use a Aquatic life 115 Mini internal skimmer in my AIO sump of my DIY 25g tank. I have used it the past year. I would love to use some the better skimmers available, but because my tank's back chambers are only 2.9" wide clearance, I barely could fit the aquaticlife without basically forcing it down the chamber. I think this is causing some issues with the intake of the skimmer, since the intake is against the wall. 

I am thinking about a upgrade, since Im not happy with its performance lately, such as the skimmer not increasing production after a heavy feeding, giving clear tea-like skimmate, the bubbles are not fine enough and the foam head being small.

I was looking at the Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 protein skimmer and wondered if that is considered a beneficial upgrade. I figured it must be since it would easily fit in the back chambers, and free up space there.

I use the HOB 1 on my jbj 45 Rimless and love it. Don't know much about the skimmer you currently have, but the aquamaxx has served me very well so far. Great product in my opinion.

hey bennyd, yeah I have a 25g rimless, and from what I can tell it looks good, but I'm a little afraid of buyers remorse, since besides marine depot's videos, theres not much of any information about it review wise, and the price tag is a little steep.

how do you think it compares to other skimmers like the reef octopus HOB?

• Like 1

Upgraded from a IM ghost skimmer to the aquamaxx 1.5 in my 25g lagoon. 

The ghost skimmer was ok but I'm pretty overstocked and feed heavy so I figured the aquamaxx would be the best option, it produced dark thick skimmate within 48 hours.  Was only getting tea like stuff from the ghost.

The 1.5 is designed and built really well and fairly quiet.  One of the best purchases I've made, although pretty pricey 

Aquamaxx makes great products! I ended up purchasing a used older CAD PLS-50 Elite skimmer as I felt the 1.5 would be too powerful on my IM25 for my planned inhabitants. 

I have seen that one but that's internal, but wasn't there a hob 1 by aquamaxx? I guess it must be discontinued then. I would honestly use that one if it wasn't for it seeming to be too big for the rear sump in my tank, since the aquatic life barely fits and thats with me taking everything off the skimmer. my skimmer measures 3 3/16" wide. it barely fits causing some buldging in the false wall slightly between the sump and display.

Looks like that leaves me with guessing if the aquamaxx WS1 would fit, or using a reef octopus hob 100? I just dont know if the 100 hob is too big for the 25g tank.

If you cut off the hanging bracket on a CAD PLS-50 elite, it fits in the smaller IM tanks which I think has a similar sized chamber. They don't make this skimmer anymore though so have to find a used one.

• Sad 1
14 hours ago, Biglex said:

Reef octopus 100 classic is big also I had it onthe jbj befor the aquamaxx 1.5

image.jpg

image.jpg

oh the actual size isnt so much of an issue for me externally its the footprint in the sump im more concerned with, my chambers in my tank are each 6 inches long, 3 1/8 inches wide, 14" deep. Do you think that would fit the reef octopus 100? the external part's size is a non issue.

21 hours ago, sapling said:

hey bennyd, yeah I have a 25g rimless, and from what I can tell it looks good, but I'm a little afraid of buyers remorse, since besides marine depot's videos, theres not much of any information about it review wise, and the price tag is a little steep.

how do you think it compares to other skimmers like the reef octopus HOB?

Didn't get a notification that you responded. I think it's quite comparable, may be even a bit better, I have a reef octopus sitting in a box and prefer the aquamaxx, but like others have said it may be a bit overkill for your size tank.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, bennyd said:

Didn't get a notification that you responded. I think it's quite comparable, may be even a bit better, I have a reef octopus sitting in a box and prefer the aquamaxx, but like others have said it may be a bit overkill for your size tank.

I know! its driving me up the wall, since it looks like the nicer designed protein skimmers are all rated way above what I really need, but the nano skimmers are either incompatible with my sump or like my aquatic life skimmer, doesn't skim very well.

I don't see any reason the aquamaxx wouldn't fit honestly. And I think it's better to be a little over sized than not enough. Maybe you just don't have a lot to skim? 

• Like 1
Just now, bennyd said:

I don't see any reason the aquamaxx wouldn't fit honestly. And I think it's better to be a little over sized than not enough. Maybe you just don't have a lot to skim? 

the WS or HOB? I feel like I know the HOB will fit, it was the WS, which seemed closer to my needs for a 25gallon that I dont think will fit in the sump,

See I kind of think that, but it doesnt sound right when I feed for 4 fish daily, and have just started a biopellet reactor a week ago with prodibio bacteria. You might be right though, Is there any way to tell if theres nothing to skim?

I am talking about the HOB sorry. I have the jbj 45 Rimless, with the HOB 1. All I have in the tank are 2 clowns and a cleanup crew, I empty my skimmer cup maybe every 2 weeks, but it's nice and dark skimmate. I like to have a thicker skim. I feed way more than the clowns will eat, but the snails hermits and copepods/amphipods I am sure appreciate the extra food. My tank has been up for a bit with barely any algae, so I must not be over feeding too much. My watersource is really good. You can take a look at my build thread if you'd like. Not too many pics of the skimmer though because of the position of the tank. 

8 hours ago, sapling said:

oh the actual size isnt so much of an issue for me externally its the footprint in the sump im more concerned with, my chambers in my tank are each 6 inches long, 3 1/8 inches wide, 14" deep. Do you think that would fit the reef octopus 100? the external part's size is a non issue.

Yea reef octopus classic fit just about same at aquamaxx