SaltCritters.com

Egg Crate Tops

RedPhotog

Hello! I just recently put an egg crate top on my 10g to accommodate a very nice LED light I just got. Was going to go totally hoodless, but I plan on getting a goby soon, and trying to keep toddlers fingers out of the tank is proving to be difficult. 

I got the crate at Home Depot, the squares are 1/2 inch wide, crate is 3/8 inch deep. You can slightly see the shadow of the grid on the substrate but it’s not too bad. The light coming through the grid hitting the water kind of mimics the sounds rays. 

Just wondering if anyonr else has made any tips like this, or if there’s a thinner screen to keep shadows out. 

DF5CC71C-FF61-4CF0-91D6-CBDBDE6E1CFC.jpeg

3696A564-4088-4316-B222-585473EE18AA.jpeg

A Little Blue

Translucent egg crate can get pricey and hard to find. Clear mesh netting with frame kit is like $25, if you’re interested in that. No light diffusion and extremely transparent. 

Thats a great set-up you have there. Everything looks great. I had eggcrate previously and sill added the mesh from a failed DIY because i was worried my goby would jump thru the crate openings still. Fish can be escape artists!

• Like 1

I've used eggcrate before. It slightly reduces lighting.

You can get window framing at the hardware store and make a frame, then use mesh. The 1/4 squares are perfe t to keep fish in the tank. Eggcrate squares are bigger and smaller fish can fit through them

It's very easy to make. Tons of diy online. 

• Like 1