Pod Your Reef

Changing Sandbed

Lizbeth90

I rinse all the sand that I suck out from my tank under hot tap water every time I do water change. Never rinse with ro/di or saltwater. Never had a problem. If anything tank seems to be happier. 

LogicalReefs
52 minutes ago, dandelion said:

I rinse all the sand that I suck out from my tank under hot tap water every time I do water change. Never rinse with ro/di or saltwater. Never had a problem. If anything tank seems to be happier. 

That’s interesting. I wonder if you have fairly clean tap water where you live. I live in Houston and I’m sure our water isn’t that great. So I’d do a final RODI rinse for myself. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, RocketClownfish said:

That’s interesting. I wonder if you have fairly clean tap water where you live. I live in Houston and I’m sure our water isn’t that great. So I’d do a final RODI rinse for myself. 

My tank’s water volume is 20.5 gallons, which is about 78L, or 78000mL. I usually have at most 1 oz of tap water left in the bucket with the sand, which is 30mL. Even if it’s really dirty at 1000ppm (more likely 100-200ppm),  after dilution I’ll just be adding 0.38ppm of “things” to the tank. And bear in mind those impurities are most likely minerals but not pollutants like phosphates or nitrates. I feel very comfortable with this small amount of tap water going into my tank once every 1-2 weeks.

LogicalReefs
17 hours ago, dandelion said:

My tank’s water volume is 20.5 gallons, which is about 78L, or 78000mL. I usually have at most 1 oz of tap water left in the bucket with the sand, which is 30mL. Even if it’s really dirty at 1000ppm (more likely 100-200ppm),  after dilution I’ll just be adding 0.38ppm of “things” to the tank. And bear in mind those impurities are most likely minerals but not pollutants like phosphates or nitrates. I feel very comfortable with this small amount of tap water going into my tank once every 1-2 weeks.

Thanks. I’ll do this soon just with a final RODI rinse.

So I took some of the sand out in my water change. I left some of the bottom sand alone and poured the new sand over it. I left my sand bed to about .50” maybe a little bit higher. Having a ruler near me I think my old sand bed was about that same height. C97B3B2C-24AB-48F6-AD28-EA21C9797A30.thumb.jpeg.aefca5cd1ffe1f1bc2ef9637793dc9c5.jpeg

• Like 2