inTank Media Baskets

Getting back into the Hobby

Gunbeaux

I have decided to get back into the saltwater tanks, been out for some years now, long story, I only want to start one tank but can't decide on which one. I tried starting up one a couple years back but that was side lined not more time has presented itself so the question is which one. I have a 40 breeder; 20 long; 10 gal; and a 6 gal. plus I have a old 16 gal cube out in the shed. If you could start up one and only one which one would it be. I have most of the hardware just need things like rock; sand; water etc. thanks for the help.

I would do the 10 or 6 gal.  That way you can see how you'll do on a small tank for maintenance and lower cost setup.  If all goes well for a year and you still are enjoying the hobby, setup one of the larger ones.

thanks I was thinking about the smaller tank. have looked at some of the all in ones like the Fluvial 13 or 5 but want to use what I have on hand. 

RustyRocket

You're getting back into the hobby, so it means you've had experience before so you should be fine with the smaller tanks. But as you probably know this hobby is addictive...that little 6 gallon isn't going to hold your interest back enough. I say go for happy medium and  go for the 20. It'll give you the flexibility to upgrade or downsize say a year on if you're struggling. 

Do the 40. Do. The. 40. 

Hell  it’s like buying a motorcycle, just get what the big one cause you’ll wish you did later if you didn’t. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1891Bro I have a 2014 Harley TriGlide I know about get the big one. Think of doing the small one now my brother talked me into it to save some $ on the start up  

Jambon to start off after it cycle wanting to put a pistol shrimp and watchman goby had one I kept for years used to watch the shrimp rearrange the tank to it's liking.

RustyRocket the 20 L is tempting I have lights and some pumps for it but not the room putting in the bedroom that goes for the 40 breeder also no room at the moment

I need to get rid of the 60 gal freshwater gold fish tank. and but the 36 gal Fluvial M90 I saw on sale for half price at the local Petco. 

thanks everyone for the replies 

I would look at a black ray goby and Randall pistol shrimp... I think the 6 gallon would work ok for that set up. You could add a bit of color with some soft corals.

have had a pico 3g for almost a year and i have also kept bigger up to 65 but gradually lost interest as maintaining a larger system is more expensive,and labor intensive.  i am now setting up a 5g spec v that had cherry shrimp in it up til yesterday.  The shrimp were farmed out to a friend.  I love the small tanks, 

To answer your question,  I would go 6 to start.  Its a big small world. Have fun, and check out  small tank  reef videos on youtube for ideas!

• Like 1

I think I have decided on what I am going to do. Have a 10 gal going to use it little bigger than the 6 so I can put more junk in it. for lighting I am going to splurge $$$ on a Fluval Sea Marine Nano LED 20 watt. For filtration going to use the AC 70 which I have. there is a thread on here how to make one into a refuse. have done it when I had the 6 set up years ago.  going to put about 15 lbs of sand and 15 lbs of rock (base and live mixed)  as for stocking ? let it cycle first. Granddaughter wants a Nemo.  Is the lighting too much 

Ok set up the 6 gal tank picked up some live rock and water from Petco . the local fish store I used to shop at for all my needs closed. Put the sand; rock and water in the tank. added a little pump filter to get the water moving but will change that when I get the AC70 set up. as for lighting am using what I have for now it is a Par 38 LED bulb, . will post pics when I get in from work this evening.

HERE I GO

• Like 1

I set up the 6 gal and added live rock 9 lbs sand 5 bs and used a intank filter I had laying around for water movement. Lighting is some led I had from the 60 gal setup I got on Black Friday from Pet smart. it looks OK. the tank is a old one that I had to clean and scrub to get  it clear again well with the light on you can see all of the scratches. so this might come down and be replaced with the 10 gal. I think the led lighting is more that enough and would save me some money it was supposed to light up a 60 gal. I am in the process of building a AC 70 into a refugium  

32366332_10213146911127735_1027016810362306560_n.jpg

• Like 3
On 5/10/2018 at 8:58 PM, 1891Bro said:

Do the 40. Do. The. 40. 

Hell  it’s like buying a motorcycle, just get what the big one cause you’ll wish you did later if you didn’t. 

I want to be your friend 😄

Just painted the back of the 10 gal black going to transfer the stuff from the 6 gal this weekend, going to use the live rock I have and I have some old rock out in the shed I am going to boil a couple of the larger pieces and add to this tank, will post pics when I get it set up.

banasophia
37 minutes ago, Gunbeaux said:

Just painted the back of the 10 gal black going to transfer the stuff from the 6 gal this weekend, going to use the live rock I have and I have some old rock out in the shed I am going to boil a couple of the larger pieces and add to this tank, will post pics when I get it set up.

Okay, you probably know this, but be sure you don’t boil rocks if they had Zoas or Palys on them before. Not sure how long palytoxins remain hazardous...

these rocks have been sitting in the shed for over 2 years in a bucket they are full of dust and all kinds of stuff, might be easer to buy some new stuff. just need a few small pieces to fill out the 10 gal.  Thanks for the reply 

• Like 1

if I can find it I started the 6 gal thread on here about a year ago but was getting some negative responses so I just got off 

• Like 1

I will be moving everything into the 10 gal tank this week was going to do it over the weekend but you know how that goes. I was thinking of putting the watchman goby and pistol shrimp in and maybe a clown fish, but am looking for something different other that the clown any suggestions would like a puffer but the tank is a little too small and it ight eat the coral. 

I thought I recognized your name, so I went poking around and found a couple of your threads that I'd commented on. I didn't see the negative responses you mentioned but that may have been on a different thread. Welcome back, hope you can get it going this time! The 10g will be a good size to get your feet wet again while you decide what else you want to do. :smilie:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

an update finally took everything out of the 6.9 and put it in the 10 now to finish the cycle. Not so sure on the rock arrangement 

10 gal 0618.jpg

10 gal 060218.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gunbeaux said:

an update finally took everything out of the 6.9 and put it in the 10 now to finish the cycle. Not so sure on the rock arrangement 

10 gal 0618.jpg

10 gal 060218.jpg

Be careful with the black sand, lots of people have experienced algae issues with it.

1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Be careful with the black sand, lots of people have experienced algae issues with it.

I have had it before and it does make the algae grow but I like it Had a turbo snail that ate most of it but had to take him out after