ReefCleaners.org

Phyto dosing many tanks

Subsea

In order to start at the bottom of the  marine food chain, phytoplankton is the primary food for the consumers.  While most reefers don’t make the connection, but diatoms & dino are types of phytoplankton.

http://www.fondriest.com/environmental-measurements/parameters/water-quality/algae-phytoplankton-chlorophyll/#algae2

To super charge phytoplankton growth, apropiate nutrients need be added to phytoplankton culture. Thus Guillard f/2 formula to add to sterilized makeup water.  Because I have numerous tanks, it is my intention to batch feed each tank each day.  Sterilized makeup water with fertilizer is added to culture tank.

In looking at phyto generator designs, most are sealed at top with air bubbles in culture.  The idea of contaminating the phyto culture with air is a possibility that I have not heard addressed.  Why can’t I use an open container for my phyto culture?   To me, the three options for phyto reactor lighting:  wrap around led rope on outside of reactor, submersible light inside reactor or opened top container with light above the surface.  The first two options require glass cleaning to grow phyto in the water.  I can use inexpensive refugium lighting  for phyto generator.  My intitial thoughts were to stop light spillover into living area.  I have decided to make phytoplankton culture station in a utility room.  The phyto culture will have a 5000 kelvin flood light.  I planned on a 5G Rubbermade container for phyto.  Salt mix made in advance with fertilizer added when added to phyto culture.

jamescstein

Typically they are sealed to protect the culture from cross contamination. 

If you are just culturing nano then you really don't need to worry. If you have nano near anything else, the splatter will get nano into everything. Which eventually means all your cultures are nano.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, jamescstein said:

Typically they are sealed to protect the culture from cross contamination. 

If you are just culturing nano then you really don't need to worry. If you have nano near anything else, the splatter will get nano into everything. Which eventually means all your cultures are nano.

I am only interested in a mono culture.  I was curious about different  phyto species from AlgaeBarn shipped in same container.  If I understand you, a dominant species will win the competition.

jamescstein

1 hour ago, Subsea said:

I was curious about different  phyto species from AlgaeBarn shipped in same container.  If I understand you, a dominant species will win the competition.

Yes, that multi phyto will eventually become a nanochloropsis culture as it out competes all the other phyto's. Nano is the weed phyto and grows easily and rapidly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2018 at 12:48 PM, jamescstein said:

Yes, that multi phyto will eventually become a nanochloropsis culture as it out competes all the other phyto's. Nano is the weed phyto and grows easily and rapidly.

Phyto reactor has morphed into 1G clear water dispenser with large opening at top to shine five 3W Cree led at 5000 kelvin.  Using infared thermometer, Cree lamp surface maximum temperature was 104.8 degrees.   Adjusted air flow rate and observed water temperature rising from 72 to 80 degrees after 12 hours.  With water spicket at bottom.  each day I drain off .5G and add to numerous tanks.  I replace this water with water from fertilized macro algae tumble culture that flows thru 38W UV sterilizer.

image.jpg