inTank Media Baskets

white worms in reef tank

Jorge091293

Jorge091293

i see this white worms like maggots in my reef tank they are in the glass coral and rock dont know where they came from recently added coral i bought but dip probably didn't do it right as they came after them.my question is are they going to eat my coral or are they harmless and good for the echo system. they look like white worms been trying to get pictures of them but they are so tiny cant even get them. i can see them on the coral and rock only at night not during the day.

22 minutes ago, Jorge091293 said:

i see this white worms like maggots in my reef tank they are in the glass coral and rock dont know where they came from recently added coral i bought but dip probably didn't do it right as they came after them.my question is are they going to eat my coral or are they harmless and good for the echo system. they look like white worms been trying to get pictures of them but they are so tiny cant even get them. i can see them on the coral and rock only at night not during the day.

Some dips aren't that great for pests tbh. What type you use?

Sounds like some type of nematode

http://www.mesa.edu.au/marine_worms/marine_worms03.asp

Also... gross!!! :eek:

Jorge091293

coral rx  is the only thing i trust lol

and well hmm idk hard to say it does not  look like a flat worm as there body is not flat  in the body and idk about nemo toads  maybe 

is hard to get a picture of them been trying so hard to get one 

Jorge091293

well the good thing they are not red but i did see some and they look white with a brown skeleton i think in the middle. some of them look brown and they are all crawling in my sand and and coral and some white ones in my glass.

17 hours ago, Jorge091293 said:

They have two antenas in the front 

21FEA312-A8E5-4FC7-92F7-9494206485D9.jpeg

Ohhh.. those are not worms... they are copepods and amphipods :) 

You usually have an explosion of them in young tanks and their numbers die down and will be limited by available food  and how much you feed the tank. 

Most of them are good guys and free fish food.

• Like 1
ihglifelol

their probly seed shrimp (a kind of pod) algae grazers and are small.

i had one that look like that but more brownish, they may grais on tiny algse growing on corals that arnt noticeable 

ihglifelol

so did i, until i looked at one through my microscope.

If you have a refugium check if their there, that might be the reasion their in your tank, if not, you should add some to it

Jorge091293

i did have a peace of cheato in the display until my macro algae tank was set up. did take it out maybe some still stayed in the display tank. dont have refiugium in the tank as  there is no space -.- in the bottom.

will feed phyto to the tank and add more of the copepods