ReefCleaners.org

Clownfish with a white eye

FollyFish

Ok, so I came home from work today and everyone in the tank was acting normal. I spot fed everyone at 6pm. At 8pm I was watching the fish and noticed that my Clownfish had something wrong with her eye. I got a closer look and her one eye was swollen and cloudy. It kinda looks like she has a cataract in that eye. I went to my LFS and had the water tested everything came back within normal range my nitrates are a little high but as I have been battling algae and loosing for the last little while that isn't a surprise.

What I believe happened is that when I went to feed everyone with the turkey baster she got hit with it. She likes to swim under it so that she gets the food first and so that she can chase everyone else away. Normally I notice and move the baster away from her but this time I think I wasn't paying enough attention and knocked her with it.

The LFS worker suggested that I start treatment with Metroplex and Focus until I see an improvement. I would like to make sure that is the right track. I have posted some pics that I also showed to the person at the LFS. My Clownfish is approx 2 yrs old and this is the first time she has ever shown any sign of injury.  Can anyone help me.

I also have a QT tank that I can set up if needed, but it would take a day to set up and run before I try to catch her. She has been living in my DT for 2 years. I don't want to move her to an unstable tank if I don't have too.

IMG_3334.JPG

IMG_3324.JPG

Edited by FollyFish
Added better pictures
A Little Blue

If it’s an inflicted injury, there is not much you can do. It might go away on its own or cause blindness. It could be popeye but I’m not a doctor so.... Poor water quality, low PH can cause it as well but it’s hard to tell. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can chime in. 

If anything I would not add any medications into your display tank. If you have to quarantine, feed her a good size meal before catching her. She may refuse to eat for a few days. 

Looks like Popeye from the picture but not 100% sure. I doubt a bump from the baster would do that much damage. I’ve seen my fish ram into some SPS frags really hard with no damage to them.

ideal it would be best to QT her just for observation and if someone gives a clear diagnosis to treat accordingly 

+1 popeye, causes are injury or flukes. I had a damsel get popeye from getting its eye scratched while netting it. It did heal on its own in time.

Personally I would not move her for this type of problem and I am a big fan of QT. I dose prazipro in my tanks for flukes though. :D Metroplex also works for parasites and with focus you can bind it to food and feed it to her. So this is not a bad suggestion.

I would probably just do extra water changes and get the water in order, poor water conditions + injury can cause an infection to set in.

• Like 2

None of the fish are showing signs of flukes or parasites eg. flashing, not eating, white poop, no heavy breathing or being largthic. Part of the reason why I think it was the turkey baster. :(

58 minutes ago, ffoott said:

If someone asks about it, just say he walked into a door...

Kick your dog at the park and you get animal cruelty charges, Boil a live lobster and you’re a hero. Boil a live dog maybe?

• Like 1