Top Shelf Aquatics

First Reef - 30 Gallon Long

Jono

Hey all, 

Figured I should start a journal thread to help keep track of my progress through this fun new journey. I have a 30 gallon long tank I bought off someone on Facebook. Got a great deal, and it came with the following:

- 2 150 watt metal halides
- auto top off
- Aquaclear 50 HOB filter with media basket
- another HOB filter with UV light
- temp controller
- 2 koaralia nanos
- 30lbs of rock
-150 GPD RODI

I didn't have time to get it set up right away, so I ditched the rock it came with and bought some dry rock. I'm "curing"/testing the old rock for ammonia and such to see if I can add some in later. This is my current aquascape, although I'm sure I'll move stuff a few more times before I add any fish or corals. I started the cycle process yesterday. Figured I'd ad in 10 clownfish this afternoon since it should be cycled.....just kidding (just making sure you're paying attention). 

As far as the filters, would you run both filters or just one of them? IDK why he had two, but maybe it's something I don't know. 

IMG_5078.JPG

• Like 5

Running both filters could help with flow and give you more options for different types of media. Ive also seen people turn aquaclears into small refugiums

• Like 1
WV Reefer
1 hour ago, Jono said:

Hey all, 

Figured I should start a journal thread to help keep track of my progress through this fun new journey. I have a 30 gallon long tank I bought off someone on Facebook. Got a great deal, and it came with the following:

- auto top off
- temp controller
- 2 koaralia nanos
- 30lbs of rock
-150 GPD RODI

I didn't have time to get it set up right away, so I ditched the rock it came with and bought some dry rock. I'm "curing"/testing the old rock for ammonia and such to see if I can add some in later. This is my current aquascape, although I'm sure I'll move stuff a few more times before I add any fish or corals. I started the cycle process yesterday. Figured I'd ad in 10 clownfish this afternoon since it should be cycled.....just kidding (just making sure you're paying attention). 

As far as the filters, would you run both filters or just one of them? IDK why he had two, but maybe it's something I don't know. 

IMG_5078.JPG

It can be hard to dial in the correct flow on a long tank....... that may be the reason for a filter at each end. 

Looks good. I like the rock work.

Previous owner may have run 2 for different reasons.

1- even flow in a long tank avoiding need for powerheads. 

although powerhead flow is different than filter return. 

2. Smaller filter so using 2 instead of 1 large one

3. 1 for filter, 1 for refugium

I'd run just filter floss during cycling and change often. They get pretty full during cycling.

5 hours ago, Jono said:

Hey all, 

- auto top off
- temp controller
- 2 koaralia nanos
- 30lbs of rock
-150 GPD RODI

IMG_5078.JPG

I really like where it’s headed and I hope you can stick with the halides. They grow shit like crazy, at least they do in the tanks I’ve seen them on. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, 1891Bro said:

I really like where it’s headed and I hope you can stick with the halides. They grow shit like crazy, at least they do in the tanks I’ve seen them on. 

Thanks! I'm going to have a hard time keeping them off while it cycles...they look so cool! 

The tank is 48x12x12...at least that's what I was told, I never actually took the time to measure it 😂

And as far as the two filters...I figured it may be for flow, but one is on the end and one is more in the middle. I guess that doesn't rule out flow as the reasoning, but I would think they would have put them on either end. One of them is a UV filter, do any of you run those? 

4 minutes ago, Jono said:

Thanks! I'm going to have a hard time keeping them off while it cycles...they look so cool! 

The tank is 48x12x12...at least that's what I was told, I never actually took the time to measure it 😂

And as far as the two filters...I figured it may be for flow, but one is on the end and one is more in the middle. I guess that doesn't rule out flow as the reasoning, but I would think they would have put them on either end. One of them is a UV filter, do any of you run those? 

Leave them off for now. You’ll be glad you did later. It’s cool to turn them on to take a photo or two. No need for lights during cycle. 

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-microbiology-of-reef-tank-cycling.214618/

Thanks for the advice! 

Changed the rockscape some and like it where it is now, so I'll stop messing with it. got the acrylic cleaned up, my temp controller set up, and the ATO set up. Salinity is right at 1.026 and temp is steady at 77.3. Turned the lights on just to get a picture and now I'm going to attempt to ignore it for the next few weeks. 

IMG_5088.JPG

IMG_5091.JPG

IMG_5090.JPG

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jono said:

Thanks for the advice! 

Changed the rockscape some and like it where it is now, so I'll stop messing with it. got the acrylic cleaned up, my temp controller set up, and the ATO set up. Salinity is right at 1.026 and temp is steady at 77.3. Turned the lights on just to get a picture and now I'm going to attempt to ignore it for the next few weeks. 

IMG_5088.JPG

IMG_5091.JPG

IMG_5090.JPG

That looks great.  Now let that thing cycle.😎

3 hours ago, Jono said:

Thanks for the advice! 

IMG_5088.JPG

IMG_5091.JPG

IMG_5090.JPG

Looks great. ####ing love the halides. You will too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it appears my tank is cycled. Tested this morning and Ammonia and Nitrites are both back to 0. I'm going out of town for a few days, so I'll test everything again when I get back, then do a water change and hopefully add some snails and stuff. 

Everything is stable, did a big water change, going to try to go to the LFS today and pick up some livestock. I was going to go with my CUC, but there hasn't been any algae so I'm assuming I should skip that for now. Figured I'd just add a clown or shrimp. 

Also, when testing everything, I am getting 0 phosphates. I read that ideally I need something like .03....is that something that is introduced to the tank through fish food? 

Added a firefish, green goby, and cleaner shrimp. Everything is great so far. 

The LFS kept trying to sell me a pygmy angel. I didn't want it in the first place, but after looking it up seems like it would have been to big for my tank anyway. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update: 

Have the fish in a QT because of an ich scare, but everything seems to be doing great and is healthy, eating well and everything. I'm already anxious to get them back into the Display Tank, I'm tired of water changes every day 🤪

I have some sort of mushroom, a candy cane, a duncan, and a hammer as far as corals go. The corals are all doing great! The duncan has already had 2 more small heads form, seems to be growing really well. It's hard to not want to go buy tons of frags because I'd love to see the tank filled up, but I'm enjoying feeding these and watching them grow.

The MH lights seem to be fine for me, and I like the color of them. I added some LED tape that can change colors with a remote that I got at Lowes for $25. They do a great job on the deep blue setting, makes the colors of the corals really pop. 

Since I took the UV filter out to use in the QT tank, I feel like I need to get some other HOB filter or another powerhead to supplement the flow. It just seems pretty weak without it. What do you guys think? 

• 1 month later...

Starting to get a little cyano on the sand bed and some tiny patches of GHA on the rock. My hermit seems to much on the GHA (or something does). I'm out of reagent for my phosphate checker, have some ordered though. All other parameters seem fine. Things also seem to stay pretty stable, so that's been nice. My first child was due yesterday, so it's going to happen any time now. Curious to see how the tank does with a little less attention from me 😂. Also was going to order some reefroids or similar food, but don't want to add anything else to the system until I figure out the cyano deal. 

Here are some pictures. The zoas are doing GREAT and I've been able to see some growth on those. The duncan now has 4-5 small heads around the big one. I've struggled to find a good spot for the hammer that it likes, but it seems to be good where it is now. 
IMG_5350.thumb.JPG.23d12b88fc756a6769082643262a3147.JPG

IMG_5352.thumb.JPG.aa7953076de8051db65afff8af5500d0.JPG

IMG_5353.thumb.JPG.d3e0ae4e31c4632f2d69fc31ba937885.JPG

IMG_5354.thumb.JPG.05d78cd8ab0c4087ef7ff97ae1669245.JPG

IMG_5355.thumb.JPG.f87c74c590ec7358d85e784b4c763a29.JPG

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Jono said:

Starting to get a little cyano on the sand bed and some tiny patches of GHA on the rock. My hermit seems to much on the GHA (or something does). I'm out of reagent for my phosphate checker, have some ordered though. All other parameters seem fine. Things also seem to stay pretty stable, so that's been nice. My first child was due yesterday, so it's going to happen any time now. Curious to see how the tank does with a little less attention from me 😂. Also was going to order some reefroids or similar food, but don't want to add anything else to the system until I figure out the cyano deal. 

Here are some pictures. The zoas are doing GREAT and I've been able to see some growth on those. The duncan now has 4-5 small heads around the big one. I've struggled to find a good spot for the hammer that it likes, but it seems to be good where it is now. 
IMG_5350.thumb.JPG.23d12b88fc756a6769082643262a3147.JPG

IMG_5352.thumb.JPG.aa7953076de8051db65afff8af5500d0.JPG

IMG_5353.thumb.JPG.d3e0ae4e31c4632f2d69fc31ba937885.JPG

IMG_5354.thumb.JPG.05d78cd8ab0c4087ef7ff97ae1669245.JPG

IMG_5355.thumb.JPG.f87c74c590ec7358d85e784b4c763a29.JPG

looking good so far! 🙂

• 1 month later...

Update time! 

My little sweet beautiful daughter was born August 9th. Things took a backseat for a while but have started to figure out a routine with everything (not just reef tank related). I had a huge cyano problem that I couldn't seem to control, even though all my parameters remained stable and I didn't have any noticeable (or obvious) problems.

I ended up getting a great deal on 2 AI Primes, which have been great. After running those for a week or so, the cyano just disappeared. Not saying it was the lights that fixed the problem, because stuff still needs nutrients and all that, but either way I am glad it is gone. 

I've moved some equipment around, re-shelved (? is that a word) the inside of the tank, and swapped out the ugly 5 gallon bucket ATO reservoir for a 5 gallon tank. Put some LED tape on the inside of the cabinet, reorganized the wires, and painted some. 

Coral wise: I have added plenty of coral since the last time I updated. I ordered a birdsnest, starburst montipora, and bicolor war coral all from WWC. They all seem to be doing great and can see obvious growth on the birdsnest. After that, I met a local reefer who offered to gift me a plesiastrea frag and also some scrambled egg zoas. This past weekend, I took advantage of AquaSD and Got Corals Labor Day sales and added 2 RFA's, aleveopora, stylophora, purple zoas, blastos, favia, two types of ricordias, and another duncan (freebie). Everything has opened right up and seems healthy. It's been great seeing the tank kind of "fill up" with some new colors and growth. 

All the fish are healthy and back in the DT. 

I've been able to keep up with water changes and have started "journaling" my parameters just to have a reference. My ALK stays steady at 8, and calcium seems to stay right around 440-460. Phosphates have typically stayed around .04 but recently shot up (I got a little excited with my feeding), but is going back down.

My next big goal is to figure out how to take good pictures of my tank. 
IMG_5526.thumb.jpg.aceec0abfffb5329e55f8ce4c1316eb7.jpg

IMG_5524.thumb.JPG.cbd644bf0d1dae9e2a62e190b59cfde1.JPG

IMG_5537.thumb.JPG.a5639e9db160e8e592984a32fe4e94d0.JPG

IMG_5528.thumb.JPG.d028c166e17e276bc782b20f136d5b2c.JPG

IMG_5523.thumb.JPG.37a0e164f5622adbda8102707cf91148.JPG