Top Shelf Aquatics

Removed chem-pads and Fuge to try new approach

jeremyan7

jeremyan7

I had recently built (January) a 14g nano with the IM Fusion 14 peninsula.  It has the ghost skimmer.  After cycling I placed in 4 fish (4 in there now but not the same 4) and a bunch of zoanthids and LPS.

The corals and zoas and fish all look good now, but I am changing my approach to nutrient extraction.

Originally I was doing a 2 gallon water change bi weekly (1g / week) But also ran Nitrate removing pad and phosphate removing pad.  ALSO I had built a fuge using the 6w nano-fuge light mounted to the back glass with a piece of caulurpa in the media basket.

My observation was the no3 and po4 were still high and the caulurpa (and chaeto) were not growing.  In fact they were melting.  (I suspect this was due to the light being too bright and too close.).

So more recently I switched to doing a 4g waterchange weekly.  quadrupling the amount total per week.  My No3 and PO4 have gone way down to "normal" levels.  Zoanthids look better all are well..

But..  The micro-fuge still doesn't work.  So I pulled the plug on the second light and removed the now melted ball of macro algae and will run without it.

I also removed the phosphate and nitrate pads as These seem to be temporary use.

I am now down to JUST 4g weekly water changes and the Ghost skimmer...

thoughts?

You’d probably be fine with just the water changes. I’m not sure how effective the Ghost Skimmer is because I’ve never had one.

I’ve read that skimmers aren’t necessary on these small tanks especially when you are consistently doing the weekly water changes. 

I had been growing chaeto in the second chamber of my IM14 but over time I found the flow through the chamber to be too slow and the green slime algae took over - especially as the nitrates and phosphates lowered from the cheato growth. 

I think chaeto reactors would be more effective though - IMO. 

Any pads and sponges can lead to high nutrients. Especially since they aren't replaced as often as loose media in bags.

Using filter floss replaced twice weekly will be far more beneficial.

The chaeto may not be growing due to the type of light, lack of flow/movement.

Many ppl complain that the jbj and IM fuge lights caused melting.

Also the phos and nitrate reducing media may impede the growth of macro algae as they need the nutrients to grow. Without growth, they won't be very helpful for nutrient reduction.

On a 14g tank with 4 fish, 1g waterchange per week isn't probably enough 

4 fish produce a lot of waste

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

On a 14g tank with 4 fish, 1g waterchange per week isn't probably enough 

4 fish produce a lot of waste

/\ This. 

I was doing 2-3 gallons on my 14g with 2 fish and a bunch of RFAs. 

So quick update.  The 4g weekly water changes seem  to help  a lot.  Qualitatively, the tank LOOKS a lot better.  The numbers are "good / improving". 

Initially the removal of the chaeto / light, 2 types of sponges caused a quick film growth of green algae on the glass, but that seems to have slowed down.

Everything looks stable and good now. 

I have a little bit of green algae on the gravel, that I need to buy some critters for..  Not sure which will be best .  I had a big Trochus snail die recently (have about 4 smaller ones still going).

Everything looks great except there is a bit of GHA creeping on the gravel.  I want to control it sooner than later..  chemistry looks good too..  so the GHA may be "controlling" that...  ideas?  Critters?