Top Shelf Aquatics

Mushroom ripping itself in half!

KNelson

My mushroom has been moving up the rockwork very slowly over the past few months.  The problem is that it's only moving half of its foot for the last month or so and it has been looking ridiculous, all stretched out.  Today I noticed that it looks as if it has decided to just leave the noncompliant half behind and, as painful as it looks, I'm pretty stoked!  So far the only mushroom that has reproduced has been a boring grey-green one - one baby spit out and another from a piece it left behind when it moved.  These creatures are so fascinating!  I wonder why it stopped moving the lower portion of itself...

The bright white is epoxy.  It did (and does frequently) spit out some of its guts, however I'm sure my guts would come out if I were to be ripped in half.  It looks like it's leaving about 1/3 of itself on the lower rock and the whole mushie is about 3" when fully inflated.

20180508_190732.thumb.jpg.26b5977780468b31af692b5a4eed0dd2.jpg

• Like 2

Since it is mostly split you could finish it and cut it the rest of the way at its thinnest point. I recently had a Yuma split and 3/4 the way through I finished the job.  Both are doing fine.

Mushrooms are neat. I have mushrooms for the first time. I have a frag plug with 3 shrooms in the sand. The other morning I sat next to my tank and the smallest shroom was a couple inches away on the rocks. Found itself a new home.

39 minutes ago, ajkochev said:

Since it is mostly split you could finish it and cut it the rest of the way at its thinnest point. I recently had a Yuma split and 3/4 the way through I finished the job.  Both are doing fine.

I had considered slicing it when it was trying to move, I'll give it a couple of days and if it

hasn't finished I will do that. 

38 minutes ago, NanoTrav said:

Mushrooms are neat. I have mushrooms for the first time. I have a frag plug with 3 shrooms in the sand. The other morning I sat next to my tank and the smallest shroom was a couple inches away on the rocks. Found itself a new home.

I love the mushrooms!  I have only 1 that has stayed put and of course it's the prettiest one, the one I'd like to propagate the most...

The Reef Novice

That's awesome, one of the most rewarding experiences in this hobby is to see one of your tank inhabitants reproduce.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...