Coral Vue Hydros

Cockroaches?

trido

I keep finding these things in my filter socks when I change them out every month. Anybody know what they are? They look like tiny cockroaches but they are usually alive when I rinse out the filters. I feed my my fish frozen food, so I don’t think I am introducing them to my tank. Any ideas? Are they harmful?

17CBD150-89D3-409B-9A26-A2A0F336B660.jpeg

17 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Definitely not pods. 

They range in size, the biggest one is about the size of a pencil eraser. I find anywhere between 2 or 3 every time.

7 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

That’s not a pod,, THATS A SEA MONSTER. 

I think if they were this size I wouldn’t be pulling them out of the tank, they would probably be pulling me in!

• Haha 2
11 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

That’s not a pod,, THATS A SEA MONSTER. 

4 minutes ago, trido said:

I think if they were this size I wouldn’t be pulling them out of the tank, they would probably be pulling me in!

Point being that “pod” is a pretty loose term. That’s not even as big as they come. 

1 minute ago, jambon said:

I bet they taste like lobster.

I actually was thinking that it was getting into the “good eating” size range. Let us know. 

OldManSea
1 hour ago, trido said:

I keep finding these things in my filter socks when I change them out every month. Anybody know what they are? They look like tiny cockroaches but they are usually alive when I rinse out the filters. I feed my my fish frozen food, so I don’t think I am introducing them to my tank. Any ideas? Are they harmful?

17CBD150-89D3-409B-9A26-A2A0F336B660.jpeg

Those amphipods make great fish food (and food for LPS and anemones)

A Little Blue
19 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Amphipods, I have had some pretty large ones before. 

Never had one. Can you tell me more about them? Correct me if I’m wrong but is it a possibility that they can irritate corals and or fish? Just curious. 

4 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Never had one. Can you tell me more about them? Correct me if I’m wrong but is it a possibility that they can irritate corals and or fish? Just curious. 

Mostly harmless but some types eat corals, those are rare though. They could maybe irritate corals if you had a lot of them. Their numbers are controlled by available food and fish since fish will eat the baby ones, especially wrasses and such. Even shrimp eat them. They are mostly a problem in tiny pico's that don't have any fish.  

A Little Blue
4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Mostly harmless but some types eat corals, those are rare though. They could maybe irritate corals if you had a lot of them. Their numbers are controlled by available food and fish since fish will eat the baby ones, especially wrasses and such. They are mostly a problem in tiny pico's that don't have any fish.  

Got it. Thanks👍

• 2 years later...
DianaGibson90oXM@yahoo.co

wow I found smth like this last week in my boat. maybe it is real water bug? Dude, if u have an idea what is this sh*t and how I can kill it, please answer. I showed my friend your pictures and he told me to enter here. I am not sure about it, and it is a reason why I want to know someone else's opinion. I am really scared of bugs even if they are small and don’t bite. But I think bed bugs can give u a lot of problems. Anyways, I hope that you found out what this sea monster is… Pray that no one from us will not meet these bugs… They are really scary. I will read once again the previous’ user comment, maybe I will find smth interesting for myself. Have you ever, guys, met these bugs in your life?? because I have not. And still don't want to meet them lol. Nature sometimes is really terrible... With all these bugs and God's creations..

You probably found an isopod of some sort. There are both freshwater and marine varieties. Do you have any pictures? 

"Water bug" is an extremely loose term. If something lives in the water and is a bug, it can be termed a water bug, and people will call anything with an exoskeleton a bug.