inTank Media Baskets

Linckia Sea Star questions

anniebanana267

anniebanana267

Hi, I have a 36 gallon growing reef tank with around 8 hermit crabs and 6 fish and I want to get a Linckia Sea Star but it’s labeled as difficult to keep, and I’ve read in some places that they eat inverts. If I do get one, will it eat my crabs? And what will it eat? Any input is appreciated :)

1 minute ago, Kellie in CA said:

Yeah, unfortunately stars don't do well in nanos. The death is usually slow and painful to watch. 

Unless! Get some harlequin shrimp! Make the death interesting!

• Wow 1
LeCharlesMuhDickens

Those things are impossible to keep alive unless the tank is gigantic, they just run out of food. I’ve heard of people spot feeding them but I don’t think long term success is possible in a nano.

• Thanks 1

+1 it will die, they starve slowly so it could take months... but it will still die. What exactly they feed on no one knows... some say sponges or bacterial film. Whatever it is... there isn't enough of it in a nano-tank. 

If you look around at the tanks here, you don't see linkia's for this reason.

• Thanks 1
anniebanana267

Alright I guess I get the idea. Really disappointed, wish there was more information on them out there before we get our hopes up. Thanks for the input.

5 minutes ago, anniebanana267 said:

Alright I guess I get the idea. Really disappointed, wish there was more information on them out there before we get our hopes up. Thanks for the input.

There is info available on them.

They graze for organic films, sponges, and algae.

Alot of starfish eat double + their body size in food which makes a lot of them inappropriate to a nano tank as we simply can't provide the amount of food they need.

• Like 3
anniebanana267
9 hours ago, Clown79 said:

There is info available on them.

They graze for organic films, sponges, and algae.

Alot of starfish eat double + their body size in food which makes a lot of them inappropriate to a nano tank as we simply can't provide the amount of food they need.

I phrased that wrong. I have seen information on them, it’s just very mixed opinions on them that makes anything hard to believe.

wow, I have got to say I haven’t heard of that ! That’s a lot of food. 

6 minutes ago, anniebanana267 said:

I phrased that wrong. I have seen information on them, it’s just very mixed opinions on them that makes anything hard to believe.

One star and two harlequin shrimp make an awesome symbiotic couple.  

• Haha 3
7 minutes ago, anniebanana267 said:

there are tons of articles for livestock and their needs.

Forums should not be the only source of info 

52 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

there are tons of articles for livestock and their needs.

Forums should not be the only source of info 

7CC38E3A-82A0-4D6A-9DB9-597F5DD34294.gif

• Haha 2

Was just diving and I saw quite a few of them in the wild. They seemed to be congregated in areas with heavy sponge/algae growth. Beautiful starfish but beat kept in very large reefs or in the ocean. 

20180509_191054.png

• Like 2

There *ARE* starfish you can keep in smaller tanks.  The carnivorous ones.  Pretty much rules out a ton of other stuff you can have with it though, like corals and clams and stuff.  All the reef safe ones generally just don't get enough food even in large tanks.  Same goes for sandsifting varieties.  They end up starving from lack of enough, replenishing fauna in the sandbed.

• Like 2
anniebanana267
On 5/9/2018 at 10:13 PM, dpoltsdsu said:

Was just diving and I saw quite a few of them in the wild. They seemed to be congregated in areas with heavy sponge/algae growth. Beautiful starfish but beat kept in very large reefs or in the ocean. 

20180509_191054.png

Beautiful picture! Thank you for sharing :)