SaltCritters.com

Fish for 30L help decide- take 2, midas blenny

burrito

first question, can i get away with any dwarf angel? specifically a coral or rusty?  currently just 2 clowns in tank and plan on adding at most 4 fish, 4th will probably be a goby/pistol combo

if coral beauty or rusty angel is not an option

rusty

lg66635RustyAngel.jpg

coral beauty

lg66118CoralBeautyAngel.jpg

what about an orchid dottyback not to be confused with the mean purple dottyback.

lg91980OrchidDottyback.jpg.523bf21ed89d89450feb15183ceab537.jpg

lobster876

how about a cherub angelfish? they would work in there and look similar to a coral beauty. I had an Orchid Dottyback but it became too aggressive and ended up killing my watchman goby

I would put the angel in... a 30 long has a nice long area for swimming . Depending on the rock work. They like plenty of holes / caves to explore.

If it were mine and the funds were there for a potter's angel... just saying.

I stopped by my LFS on the way to my kids daycare..... they happened to have gotten a cherub just that day. It was very small (good for me) and very pearly blue. Couldn’t resist. Kids are calling her rainbow. To go with Mickey and miney (the clowns)

4CC43491-3FBA-4089-99C6-022104BA7960.thumb.jpeg.8c17dde02ffcd1e64382f072e7523f0f.jpeg

Only issue is the clowns have forced her into this cave and are “guarding” the exits. Hopefully it’s a short hazing. 

• burrito changed the title to Fish for 30L help decide- Rainbow the CHERUB is dead :(

woke up this morning to find the new addition curled around the mp10 which runs at 20% at night... 

i never saw him swim much after i put him in the tank since the the clowns harassed him and trapped in him in a cave.  at lights out, everyone was fine (around 11pm) clowns were "sleeping" and angelfish was still in cave.  could he have just not been ok to begin with?  he was swimming fine at the LFS (did arrive the same day i bought it though...)    near the cave are some hammer coral, could hammers kill a fish?   i can't imagine he wasn't strong enough to NOT get sucked up?

i didn't check my water this morning but will check when i get home.  everything else looks good.

kids cried a lot, first death, had to have the talk before daycare

• Sad 1

I have a nestcam I wasn’t using so put it on the tank. Bad angel but looks like 7am the angelfish was floating toward the mp10? Maybe died in his cave.  

EE35EDA1-E314-4F1C-BB77-FB3C3EE0C170.thumb.png.e7ee8a0b70503bd4bbbd34e94a2f8004.png4CE37B26-D1CE-4B29-91D6-3B37ACE84C54.thumb.jpeg.1c8d42caf46655c77a190421530a0e23.jpeg

Sorry about the fish.. It's tempting to buy a fish or coral on impulse... I still do occasionally. It may have been sick or poorly collected ...

It is a good idea to let the LFS keep the fish  for some time to acclimate them to captive life.

It's also a good idea to have a quarantine tank set up. 

mitten_reef
51 minutes ago, burrito said:

(did arrive the same day i bought it though...)   

most likely the cause of death, stress from transit coupled with territorial clowns.  Sorry for your loss.  

Ok. So quarantine is ready, I want a goby/pistol combo and for another swimmer still looking at the orchid dottyback or a Midas Blenny. Would the blenny get along with the goby? Reading they might not but wanted to hear from you’ll.

4E71F6A0-45EE-415B-BF8C-E42F6863C166.thumb.jpeg.dd5eec90cc90cc41ddfe52ba9042d807.jpeg

i love Midas Blennies you will be hard pressed to find another fish with as much personality and spunk as these guys. I think it would be a great choice for a fish in the 30L with the clowns. They are not the cheapest fish usually but are well worth the money. You could also look at getting a 6line wrasse, pink streak wrasse, or possum wrasse. All would be a great choice with the clowns.

• burrito changed the title to Fish for 30L help decide- take 2, midas blenny
11 hours ago, 1.0reef said:

A fang blenny would be a good option, they don’t get nearly as large as Midas blennies.

Love my fang blenny, incredibly underrated fish. ORA breeds them too, got mine from their section on LiveAquaria.

Sorry about the angel. They can turn mean as all shit and sometimes pick at corals anyways... I would have liked one but I want to have a clam eventually. Plus if it eventually killed my clowns, I would be pissed. 

I have a midas, he is a bully... sometimes nips the fins of my orchid and damsel. Not enough damage to kill anything though. I would think it would only bother a goby if the blenny decided he wanted to hang out where the goby was, they seem a bit territorial. He tosses the clowns around during feeding sometimes. Such a punk lol

My orchid bothers nothing.