Cultivated Reef

New coral, now what?!

Zeal0201

A Little Blue
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

Some dips can be fairly harsh but I have no experience with that one. Says 15-30 min online so probably ok.

Light shock could be it too.. I would move them to a corner/shaded area. Corals don't really need drip acclimation (I never drip mine) but they absolutely need light acclimation. 

I use the same dip. It’s not that harsh. I dipped 3 times within an hour once or twice and never had fatalities. Usually a cup full per gallon for 15min. 

2 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

At this point, it can’t hurt. Report back tomorrow. 

Will do, changing my light settings now. Gonna move everything to the back corner

A Little Blue
1 minute ago, Zeal0201 said:

Will do, changing my light settings now. Gonna move everything to the back corner

Hope it helps a little but some frags don’t look too hot to be honest. At least the ones alive have a fighting chance against the god of the sun. 

Happened to all of us at one point (or more than once lol). 

1 minute ago, A Little Blue said:

Hope it helps a little but some frags don’t look too hot to be honest. At least the ones alive have a fighting chance against the god of the sun. 

Happened to all of us at one point (or more than once lol). 

Now im worried what I did wasnt right..

1 minute ago, A Little Blue said:

I use the same dip. It’s not that harsh. I dipped 3 times within an hour once or twice and never had fatalities. Usually a cup full per gallon for 15min. 

Had to google it... ya I guess its iodine. Not too great for pests but good to give sick zoa's a boost. 

A Little Blue
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

Had to google it... ya I guess its iodine. Not too great for pests but good to give sick zoa's a boost. 

Pests don’t like it too much either  After 15minutes, just shoot a stream from a syringe to get them on the run. After 30min they get super dizzy and mostly in a comma. Lol 

A Little Blue
3 minutes ago, Zeal0201 said:

Now im worried what I did wasnt right..

Don’t stress over it. Just don’t rush things and go easy with new frags. And dipping corals is a great habit to have. 

19 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Don’t stress over it. Just don’t rush things and go easy with new frags. And dipping corals is a great habit to have. 

My peppermint shrimp keep going near those 2 corals....

Yesterday when I put them in the tank they instantly swam over to them and started picking at them or something..

Edit: Did some reading.. Dont tell me these damn peppermint shrimp are eating my coral....

27 minutes ago, Zeal0201 said:

My peppermint shrimp keep going near those 2 corals....

Yesterday when I put them in the tank they instantly swam over to them and started picking at them or something..

Edit: Did some reading.. Dont tell me these damn peppermint shrimp are eating my coral....

Ya they love lps... Not kidding. 

38 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Pests don’t like it too much either  After 15minutes, just shoot a stream from a syringe to get them on the run. After 30min they get super dizzy and mostly in a comma. Lol 

Iodine always knocks off pods and starfish and works when I dip zoas but ehhh... I don't have time for mixed review for SPS pests. Bayer had a nice big toxic warning lable and makes me feel like a mad scientist. 

Iodine always seems to saved sick zoas though... Great for infections. Love it. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Ya they love lps... Not kidding. 

those 3 assholes... time to take them out. Im annoyed now.. How the hell am I going to catch these guys

Just now, Zeal0201 said:

those 3 assholes... time to take them out. Im annoyed now.. How the hell am I going to catch these guys

Bottle trap with food in it. Bring them back to the LFS. Lots of videos of them eating torch and hammer corals on YouTube 😮

5 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Bottle trap with food in it. Bring them back to the LFS. Lots of videos of them eating torch and hammer corals on YouTube 😮

They swam over to the trumpet and euphyllia. Almost entirely ignore the other coral

edit: was able to catch the damn peppermint shrimps this morning. Taking them to the LFS so they can harass someone else's coral. Used the bottle trap. Time to press the reset button on this coral is there anything I can maybe do?

ClownFizz

U might wanna dip them again, incase the coral is infected now.

Dont worry, we all learn from mistakes. Do alot of research and youtube watching to see what is reef safe or what you want in ur tank. With a nano, anything reef safe is preferable.

sorry for ur losses.

redline skunk shrimp (once ur tank is 4-6 months established is a better buy... dont eat ur corals....

what r u gonna get for ur live stock... clowns? 

HarryPotter
2 minutes ago, ClownFizz said:

Dont worry, we all learn from mistakes. Do alot of research and youtube watching to see what is reef safe or what you want in ur tank. With a nano, anything reef safe is preferable.

sorry for ur losses.

redline skunk shrimp (once ur tank is 4-6 months established is a better buy... dont eat ur corals....

Can you elaborate on dip them twice? Are you referring to the anti-pest solution such as coral-rx, which stresses the coral? Or something anti-bacterial like iodine?

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, ClownFizz said:

sorry for ur losses.

I already have had livestock for about 3 weeks and they seem happy. 2 clowns 2 Chromis