Coral Vue Hydros

Hopperdoggy's Pico

Hopperdoggy

Hopperdoggy

Hey everybody,

My name is Ryan aka hopperdoggy and i have been into reefs for about 10 years now. I have always loved this website and although i didn't share any of my old tanks (i apologize) i am here to share my new pico that was set up almost two weeks ago. Right now it is probably halfway cycled. I got some some live rock and established water from my LFS to help kick start the cycle. I plan to do mosty zoas and palys with one beautiful chalice once its ready. Since the tank is so small i plan on getting some premium corals and letting them fully grow out. If I can control myself It should only have magacians, utterchaos and a mummy eye chalice (cant beat the classics) 

Here are the specs:

UN rimless tank (3 gal i believe)

aquaclear 50 modded into a fuge/ heater holder

Ai prime HD (not yet hung)

25w cobalt aquatics heater

livesand with about 2.5 lbs of live rock from my LFS

I will keep this thread updated at things progress, until then ill continue to drool over all of your tanks...

pico.jpg

• Like 5
WV Reefer
38 minutes ago, Hopperdoggy said:

Hey everybody,

My name is Ryan aka hopperdoggy and i have been into reefs for about 10 years now. I have always loved this website and although i didn't share any of my old tanks (i apologize) i am here to share my new pico that was set up almost two weeks ago. Right now it is probably halfway cycled. I got some some live rock and established water from my LFS to help kick start the cycle. I plan to do mosty zoas and palys with one beautiful chalice once its ready. Since the tank is so small i plan on getting some premium corals and letting them fully grow out. If I can control myself It should only have magacians, utterchaos and a mummy eye chalice (cant beat the classics) 

Here are the specs:

UN rimless tank (3 gal i believe)

aquaclear 50 modded into a fuge/ heater holder

Ai prime HD (not yet hung)

25w cobalt aquatics heater

livesand with about 2.5 lbs of live rock from my LFS

I will keep this thread updated at things progress, until then ill continue to drool over all of your tanks...

pico.jpg

:welcome:

sounds like you are off to a good start. Watch out with the chalice in such a small space...... they are super mean. 

Hopperdoggy

Tank update:

I installed the light today. And Ammonia is reading almost zero. I think the tank cycled pretty quick due to the established water and rock I started with. I also organized the cables and tidied up the cabinet a bit. Here are a couple pics. The tank looks crazy blue in the pics but not in person. Any help on photos are greatly appreciated 

F20467A2-29E8-44C5-A977-943EE8A78C84.jpeg

46FE5C4F-1E52-4C09-9BAB-729AEC38346F.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
Hopperdoggy

On 5/9/2018 at 3:58 PM, JBM said:

Bet that flow from the aquaclear is more than enough for the entire tank

Yes it’s actually really nice. I figure once it’s full of Chaeto it will be perfect

Hopperdoggy
On 5/9/2018 at 7:36 PM, Disher said:

I love the clean look of this! 

Where’d you get that floating cabinet and how’s it mounted to the wall? Looks great!!

Thank you, my wife is super picky so I made it look as nice as possible. I cot the cabinet from Ikea and it’s rated to hold up to 55 lbs (more than enough for my lil tank) I also made sure to mount it to the studs. 

• Like 1
Hopperdoggy

So my tank is officially cycled. It was done in about two weeks. Super fast I know. I’m contributing it to the high quality live rock and water I got from my LFS. I was measuring a small amount of ammonia with a salifert test kit. I tested fresh made saltwater and it was the exact same reading as my tank water (tested multiple times) I added a small nerite snail a few days ago and it has been totally fine. Today I added a lil phantom clown and he’s happy and eating so all is good! Alk is kind of low (7.4) and I have yet to test for magnesium and calcium so no corals yet. I will also be testing for iodine since I plan on some nice zoas and plays. Here is a pic of Leche my lil clown. He already has a great personality!!!

0A120D7C-5D61-41B0-98F7-37E96A74E3B5.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

If my wife knew there was such thing as a "Phantom" clown (I'm assuming this is a phantom of the opera reference) we would have one!

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Hopperdoggy

I’ve decided to go with a ricordea dominant tank and one frag of the Japanese pink nepthia from Koji Wada. I got this frat from my buddy Ali at Amazing Aquariums in Orange. So stoked on it! Anyhow here’s some pics..

AE536A49-F7D5-4234-B673-90A0B189E6AC.jpeg

1C1336E5-250D-45AB-A7A4-A5F1E2F1A8CE.jpeg

13060824-E9B0-40F8-958E-B092C79C6B60.jpeg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Hopperdoggy said:

I’ve decided to go with a ricordea dominant tank and one frag of the Japanese pink nepthia from Koji Wada. I got this frat from my buddy Ali at Amazing Aquariums in Orange. So stoked on it! Anyhow here’s some pics..

AE536A49-F7D5-4234-B673-90A0B189E6AC.jpeg

1C1336E5-250D-45AB-A7A4-A5F1E2F1A8CE.jpeg

13060824-E9B0-40F8-958E-B092C79C6B60.jpeg

That nepthea is gorgeous!  Can't wait to see it all fluffy and happy.  Rics are very nice too.  I second the previous comment about the chalice, they can very much dominate a small space like this.  Tank looks great!

Hopperdoggy

Thanks  Lula Mae! Me too, it’s been tough to get it to stick to the rocks. The glue has melted the base twice when I tried to glue it. It’s now wedged between some rocks where I want it to grow. Hopefully it sticks. They’re pretty hardy corals so I’m being optimistic. I’m not doing a chalice anymore. It’s going to be ricordia dominant with the nepthia as the center piece. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Hopperdoggy said:

Thanks  Lula Mae! Me too, it’s been tough to get it to stick to the rocks. The glue has melted the base twice when I tried to glue it. It’s now wedged between some rocks where I want it to grow. Hopefully it sticks. They’re pretty hardy corals so I’m being optimistic. I’m not doing a chalice anymore. It’s going to be ricordia dominant with the nepthia as the center piece. 

Sounds like a plan, hopefully the nepthea sticks! If not, I wonder if the rubber band method might help? I love rics so I look forward to seeing it. Look for trueisb2's old TOTM, it was an ADA about 3.5 gallons I think? Predominantly rics and it was very inspirational!

Hopperdoggy
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Sounds like a plan, hopefully the nepthea sticks! If not, I wonder if the rubber band method might help? I love rics so I look forward to seeing it. Look for trueisb2's old TOTM, it was an ADA about 3.5 gallons I think? Predominantly rics and it was very inspirational!

Awesome! I’ll check it out! It’s wedged between the rock work pretty good now. I didn’t even think of rubber bands. Thanks!

• Like 1
Hopperdoggy

New corals, new pics ...

picked up a fluffy lil Ricordea florida with what looks like a lil feather duster or possibly a tiny coco worm. Also got a ricordea Yuma. The other rics are doing good. The nepthia however is still not looking so hot. I wedged it between the rock work but has since shrunken up and fallen through. I’m hoping it will come back. Fingers crossed. I threw in a FTS as well. 

D1807632-5313-4183-9782-8E416B87E5E2.jpeg

59534ADD-2828-4611-87B4-C221401CE1C7.jpeg

B080E7C4-C446-4431-96EE-876BFE016EE1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...