Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Planted aquarist first reef(IM Nuvo 10)

Tnalp

One day post install update:

Tunze is working as it should. No mishaps just yet *knock on wood*. One thing that i did do, as some one pointed out, is to move the ATO to the third chamber. Woke up to a buzzing sound, only to find out that it was the ato doing what its suppose to, filling up. I do admit i woke up in a rush to check, saw a slow stream of water being dispensed. That put a smile on my face. Knowing i can leave without having to worry about my chambers running dry. Manual top offs were a hassle. Not the work its self, just remembering too. Curious to find out how long 5g of rodi will last? 

On another note, Dave from nano box is shipping my light out this Monday. Very excited to have the light arrive!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

My 3g top off container lasts about two or three weeks, so you should get plenty out of a 5g container. 

That sounds great, now I just need to get my hands on one of those surge protectors with individual switches for easy access during maintence 

• Like 2

Man o man am I blown away by Dave’s lights. The controlability, craftsmanship, customer service and shimmer these lights produce have blown me away! I’m making a unboxing/setup video. I’ll link when I’m done with it. Here a picture for now. 

2C0A6BBD-BD6C-4E7C-9F9E-448FBAE25B01.thumb.jpeg.ced23d69d65834fa339bb18087730b83.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Wow, that lid looks fantastic 🙂

Its great looking! gives its a UFO look ahaha. 

Question for you, i have the light currently on the mixed reef preset... whats your thought on that? plans are for some zoas, gap, frogspawn?

1 hour ago, Tnalp said:

Its great looking! gives its a UFO look ahaha. 

Question for you, i have the light currently on the mixed reef preset... whats your thought on that? plans are for some zoas, gap, frogspawn?

That should be fine. Unless you have lots of sps it's really just a matter of what looks best to your eyes. 

Some corals that like low light (acans especially) seem to do better in blue light. More intense yellow/red light seems to make them turn orange.

1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

That should be fine. Unless you have lots of sps it's really just a matter of what looks best to your eyes. 

Some corals that like low light (acans especially) seem to do better in blue light. More intense yellow/red light seems to make them turn orange.

The mixed reef preset, from what i have noticed, starts at a very deep blue. Slowly working its self up to a more white/red mix, then back down to a deeper blue. The LPS preset ive noticed is just more of a deeper blue cycle. 

Meet the new additions!

Haven't come up with a name for them?

Made a trip to Petco since I needed some filter floss for my canister filter and what do you know. They had just received a  large shipment of clowns from another store mistakenly, so they claimed. Point being, they had many varieties in stock. Saw this pair of black Amphiprion Ocellaris! What really caught my eye aside from the color was their sizes. One was noticeably larger than the other. Aka, they were already "paired". Another key factor, aside from them being very actively curious, was that they were always together. If one moved, the other moved! (Top is the larger of the two) Very happy to finally have some movement in the tank!

IMG_1571.thumb.JPG.044dad7333d709d3259c4184e71a99bc.JPG

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Past couple weeks I’ve been testing my water religiously. For testing, read Sea foundation and marine care are being used. For po4 i am using a Hanna ULR. I’ve found the Hanna to be a bit finicky. Reading of 0,1,3 have been popping up. So I’ve come to the decision to claim that I am at .007 p04. PH: 8.1, no3: 5-10ppm, Calcium: 500, Alk: 9.1, Mag: 1600. I’m using Red Sea coral pro salt, from wht I’ve read gives a little more nutrient than other salts. Again I’m sure once more coral is added, those numbers will drop because of consumption. I added a bottle of Arc coralline algae in a bottle, 4 days after adding I can already see some crustation on the tips of my rocks! I’ve finally hit the diatom algae phase. I’ll be setting friday as my designated WC day. Fish are fully acclimated, first few days they were pretty stiff. Now they swim around the tank like crazy wanting to be fed every time they see me. First coral addition was added today, classic hammer. Dipped it on RX then introduced it. First few hours it was pissed, closed up and shooting out little mucus strands. Now towards the end of the evening it’s opening up and swaying! I ended up trying out the IM ghost skimmer but after reading so much about these small tanks, many say they aren’t really needed. As long as WC are kept up with. I’m considering a reef glass though. Any who, bought blabbing here are some pics 

8279801D-795A-48E3-9BFF-5A7E3D49C31E.thumb.jpeg.7d0786069fbc1915c32cda2b96d41493.jpeg

4E695543-D20A-49AE-95F2-7A1C8284BAD4.thumb.jpeg.93948575b7d38bdfaf274194ec4ca374.jpeg

Also i need one of those orange filter phones clips but I’m too cheap to spend $30

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Tnalp said:

Past couple weeks I’ve been testing my water religiously. For testing, read Sea foundation and marine care are being used. For po4 i am using a Hanna ULR. I’ve found the Hanna to be a bit finicky. Reading of 0,1,3 have been popping up. So I’ve come to the decision to claim that I am at .007 p04. PH: 8.1, no3: 5-10ppm, Calcium: 500, Alk: 9.1, Mag: 1600. I’m using Red Sea coral pro salt, from wht I’ve read gives a little more nutrient than other salts. Again I’m sure once more coral is added, those numbers will drop because of consumption. I added a bottle of Arc coralline algae in a bottle, 4 days after adding I can already see some crustation on the tips of my rocks! I’ve finally hit the diatom algae phase. I’ll be setting friday as my designated WC day. Fish are fully acclimated, first few days they were pretty stiff. Now they swim around the tank like crazy wanting to be fed every time they see me. First coral addition was added today, classic hammer. Dipped it on RX then introduced it. First few hours it was pissed, closed up and shooting out little mucus strands. Now towards the end of the evening it’s opening up and swaying! I ended up trying out the IM ghost skimmer but after reading so much about these small tanks, many say they aren’t really needed. As long as WC are kept up with. I’m considering a reef glass though. Any who, bought blabbing here are some pics 

8279801D-795A-48E3-9BFF-5A7E3D49C31E.thumb.jpeg.7d0786069fbc1915c32cda2b96d41493.jpeg

4E695543-D20A-49AE-95F2-7A1C8284BAD4.thumb.jpeg.93948575b7d38bdfaf274194ec4ca374.jpeg

Also i need one of those orange filter phones clips but I’m too cheap to spend $30

Just get a three dollar pair of shooting glasses. 

• 2 months later...

I ended up letting this tank get way too out of control the last couple months. New job had me pulled in a 100 directions, distancing me away from the tank. I ordered some carib Sea life rock and I could no be any more impressed by the texture and color! 

91649C3A-36B1-4F0E-84EB-093CC37A5213.jpeg

Here’s the final rock work. Put some thought into this scape, future corals plans are not 100% sure but giving a mix of shaded/ bright areas allows for the possibility of a mixed reef. I re used some old tank water along with bio media to make sure the clowns are safe. Didn’t have anywhere to keep them while the tank matured. Really excited about this new setup! 

A267400D-C07B-4745-8C29-6DF0A4A8F0AC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Tank is finally showing no ammonia after .25ppm had been lingering for about 3 weeks. Been changing 2g of water every few days to help keep it down and fish happy. Today I showed Alk: 9.5, Amm: 0ppm, no3: 5ppm po4: .009. Alk will be dropping to about 8.0-9.0 since I switch over to tropic Marin pro reef salt, was previously on the Red Sea black bucket. 

D6B20020-F836-4BD9-A2DB-DB3CC1FF2B37.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Everything in the nano has been going well aside from some diatoms. I did find a killer deal on Offerup for an algae reactor at $20. Couldnt pass it up, so far it has really dropped nitrates and phosphates. Threw in a couples snails to help with cleaning up the diatoms as well. 

IMG_0398.jpeg

• Like 1

Following along, and I love your planted aquariums. I’m kinda doing the opposite of what you are doing. I just started my first planted nano a few months ago. 

• Like 1

Looks good! That algae reactor sure is bright, looks like an extreme nightlight! 

1 hour ago, William said:

Following along, and I love your planted aquariums. I’m kinda doing the opposite of what you are doing. I just started my first planted nano a few months ago. 

I too have been considering this!!! 

• Haha 1
On 11/14/2018 at 10:12 PM, William said:

Hey thank you so much, I will admit that reefing has taught me a lot of patience! Hope you’re liking the fresh side ! 

9 hours ago, Tnalp said:

Hey thank you so much, I will admit that reefing has taught me a lot of patience! Hope you’re liking the fresh side ! 

There has been quite a learning curve. Even with 20 years of saltwater experience I’m still having my fair share of problems. 

On 11/19/2018 at 4:28 AM, William said:

There has been quite a learning curve. Even with 20 years of saltwater experience I’m still having my fair share of problems. 

send me a message on instagram if you have any questions !