Top Shelf Aquatics

Planted aquarist first reef(IM Nuvo 10)

Tnalp

ClownFizz

In terms of flow. Id say stick with lps with such a small tank. Not saying u cant try. But the swings in parameters is huge and sps arent very hardy to those changes.

buy a tunze nano wavemaker (pulsating) a bit strong for a 10 gallon but not as bad as the mp10. I went with the jebao pp4 for my 14g. Works a charm. Still working after 1 year.

look into euphyllia gardens. Or fixing gsp on ur back wall. It will flow like dwarf hairgrass in a planted tank.

been into freshwater for 3-4 years before switching to saltwater and not turning back. I realised there is so much variety in the livestock when it comes to saltwater ... coral or marine life!

5 hours ago, Tnalp said:

I’ve always been curious about carbon dosing in a reef tank, it’ll be something to put in the research list! 

Because I am “old school”, I use nutrient recycling for long term results.  Nutrient recycling using complex nutrient pathways (biochemistry) to produce live food in the tank.  Differrent food webs produce differrent size food for differrent hungry mouths in your display tank.  Nutrients that otherwise would have to be exported are sequestered into biomass of, hopefully, desirable  coral and fish.

You should read articles at Advanced Aquaria by Dana Riddle on coral nutrition.  “Photosynthesis is the link between inorganic and organic world”.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2016/9/aafeature

carbon dosing article by Ken Felderman.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/3/aafeature

Compares efficiency of three differrent nutrient management methods using TOC (total organic carbon) as the control variable.

Protein skimming removes, at best, 35% of TOC.

GAC (granulated activated carbon) removes 65% of TOC

MATURE Biofilter removes > 50% of TOC

if you are going to grow coral, you should know what they eat and how they feed.  As much  as possible, I provide conditions to enhance natural food webs.  These are best done prior to introduction of coral.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aafeature

Figure 1. Photosynthesis can provide most of the carbon requirements for coral tissue growth. Other important sources are plankton (zooplankton and phytoplankton) as well as DOM (dissolved organic material) and bacteria.

In Closing

We have examined corals’ uptake of various dissolved substances (carbohydrates, inorganic and organic phosphorus, as well as inorganic and organic forms of nitrogen.)

• At least some Symbiodinium species can ingest and assimilate bacteria, cyanobacteria, and algae.
  • Corals can capture particulate food particles by use of stinging cells or mucus net.
  • Prey capture can be a function of concentration and water movement.
  • Small polyp stony corals can ingest particles ranging in size from 0.45 µm to ~400 µm and perhaps larger (see Figure 26.)
19 hours ago, ClownFizz said:

In terms of flow. Id say stick with lps with such a small tank. Not saying u cant try. But the swings in parameters is huge and sps arent very hardy to those changes.

buy a tunze nano wavemaker (pulsating) a bit strong for a 10 gallon but not as bad as the mp10. I went with the jebao pp4 for my 14g. Works a charm. Still working after 1 year.

look into euphyllia gardens. Or fixing gsp on ur back wall. It will flow like dwarf hairgrass in a planted tank.

been into freshwater for 3-4 years before switching to saltwater and not turning back. I realised there is so much variety in the livestock when it comes to saltwater ... coral or marine life!

GSP is one on my list... makes me want to roll around in it haha. One thing im scared of is that reefing will pull me away from fresh! Reefing has always had my eye.

18 hours ago, Subsea said:

Because I am “old school”, I use nutrient recycling for long term results.  Nutrient recycling using complex nutrient pathways (biochemistry) to produce live food in the tank.  Differrent food webs produce differrent size food for differrent hungry mouths in your display tank.  Nutrients that otherwise would have to be exported are sequestered into biomass of, hopefully, desirable  coral and fish.

You should read articles at Advanced Aquaria by Dana Riddle on coral nutrition.  “Photosynthesis is the link between inorganic and organic world”.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2016/9/aafeature

carbon dosing article by Ken Felderman.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/3/aafeature

Compares efficiency of three differrent nutrient management methods using TOC (total organic carbon) as the control variable.

Protein skimming removes, at best, 35% of TOC.

GAC (granulated activated carbon) removes 65% of TOC

MATURE Biofilter removes > 50% of TOC

Those are some articles ive book marked to read! Thank you so much for the info. greatly appreciate it

• Like 1
Segalplayer
On 5/5/2018 at 8:40 PM, Tnalp said:

As the title states this is my first shot at a reef tank. Im heavily into planted tanks, also known as Kaquatics on instagram. Before I got into planted aquariums I had purchased an IM Nuvo 20, but sold it after seeing what you could do with planted aquariums. One year later here we are. 

Tank: IM Nuvo 10

Light: Nano Box Mini Tide Plus M

Sand: Carib sea special grade

Rock: BRS reef saver 

Heater: Cobalt 50w Neotherm

Other Equipment: Sicce .5 return pump, InTank media basket upgrade, Marine pure bio balls for extra biological retention. 

49F7BD42-2164-47F7-A5C5-2D1058563BB0.thumb.jpeg.c8b98db46987115b54bbfe239ca8e5fd.jpeg

The rock work is held by epoxy as you can tell, after that cured I wanted back in and sealed everything with super glue. The rock work is so sturdy I could pick it up and shake it around! I did set the Aquascape In place then pour in the sand.

2FA864C0-ED83-4A94-AB8F-B06A91FE9BA5.thumb.jpeg.e3e77f4d04f6133074209dbe07874774.jpeg

Poured in the sand, topped off with RODI water/salt to 1.025, heater set at 78 degrees, plugged in pump. I will say that I am very impressed by the sicce. That pump greats an amazing amount of flow! Left is running over night with a piece of filter pad in the top compartment, only to wake up the next day to a crystal clear tank. 

47D33B11-D1EC-424F-B7FF-D0E630B49DAD.thumb.jpeg.909b7b82e03c4c1ff0c879141309b378.jpeg

Cycle: A bottle of Bio sp. along with 2ppm of ammonium chloride was added to the tank for the start of the cycle. Now it’s all waiting. 

Future plans: I’ve been eyeing the intank refugium, IM cheteomaxx led light, Tunze nano ato and the Mp10. For corals I’m not 100% what exactly I will be stocking the stank with. I still have a few weeks to decided while the tank cycles. 

Nano box is being built, should have that within the next week. I’ll update when that arrives. 

Scape is dope and can't wait to see what it looks like stocked up. Only tip i'd give is  make sure you have the space to clean the glass around that area or a space for snails to cruise by freely. 

I'm currently taking out the sand in my tank to help keep it ultra clean. not sure if thats something you'd think about. I run an MP10 on my tank and I love it...my LPS opened up huge like never before and the random flow (I use reefcrest, lagoon, and NTM) is awesome. Highly recommend!

I too went with a sick 0.5 and its perfect. 

I personally have seen my temp stay exactly at 78 with a newotherm 100w heater, I replaced it after a year with a 75w since it was smaller in size and could fit better but I have seen my temp fluctuate about a degree to 1.5 degree. I am not totally sure I got a faulty unit but let me know please how your 50w is.

You'll love the inTank Media Rack. I wouldnt really mess with a fuge, its gonna be way more hassle than its worth. Ive done the fuge box as well as tried a external chaeto reactor. The chemipure  in my media rack did more than the fuges did sadly. 

Tagging along to see what you stock up with :D

ClownFizz
4 hours ago, Tnalp said:

GSP is one on my list... makes me want to roll around in it haha. One thing im scared of is that reefing will pull me away from fresh! Reefing has always had my eye.

Those are some articles ive book marked to read! Thank you so much for the info. greatly appreciate it

Lol yeh, i had been reading more and more into saltwater before the big move... it does change ur mind overall.... u will surprised how many people will share and jump in to help u in the reefing world. Cuz it is just like freshwater.... we are all in it together.. been there and done that.

• Like 1
Nocturnal
12 hours ago, Tnalp said:

GSP doesn't get enough love. It's impossible to kill, has great color, and adds a lot of movement to the tank. The only problem is that it's one of those things that can grow too fast. Try to keep it isolated to a single rock if you can. I'm trying to grow some on the back glass of my tank but my gyre is shading it so not sure that's going to really work.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nocturnal said:

GSP doesn't get enough love. It's impossible to kill, has great color, and adds a lot of movement to the tank. The only problem is that it's one of those things that can grow too fast. Try to keep it isolated to a single rock if you can. I'm trying to grow some on the back glass of my tank but my gyre is shading it so not sure that's going to really work.

It took 5 years from video to pictures taken today.   One the last picture which is right rear corner.  This are is very shaded but the purple mat spread and has covered 40% of right end glass.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Wow 1
20 hours ago, Segalplayer said:

Scape is dope and can't wait to see what it looks like stocked up. Only tip i'd give is  make sure you have the space to clean the glass around that area or a space for snails to cruise by freely. 

I'm currently taking out the sand in my tank to help keep it ultra clean. not sure if thats something you'd think about. I run an MP10 on my tank and I love it...my LPS opened up huge like never before and the random flow (I use reefcrest, lagoon, and NTM) is awesome. Highly recommend!

I too went with a sick 0.5 and its perfect. 

I personally have seen my temp stay exactly at 78 with a newotherm 100w heater, I replaced it after a year with a 75w since it was smaller in size and could fit better but I have seen my temp fluctuate about a degree to 1.5 degree. I am not totally sure I got a faulty unit but let me know please how your 50w is.

You'll love the inTank Media Rack. I wouldnt really mess with a fuge, its gonna be way more hassle than its worth. Ive done the fuge box as well as tried a external chaeto reactor. The chemipure  in my media rack did more than the fuges did sadly. 

Tagging along to see what you stock up with :D

Wish I would have tilted the rock just a bit more back.... I feel like with growth, the scape is too steep and will cause shadowing. We’ll see with time.. thanks tho! I did run my ADA Pro razor along glass and it cleans perfectly well without hitting! So I’m stoked. My temp is fluctuating between 78-79. Mainly due to my room getting a little warm during the day but never drops lower than 78. I did order the 75w but I was told it was over kill so I canceled that order and re ordered the 50w. The fug was mainly because of my “jumping into a hobby so I have to have it all” impulse searching aha. I’m a geek for equip! I’ll get a Mp10 once the tank is cycled. Next thing on the wish list is a Tunze nano ATO! 

9 hours ago, Nocturnal said:

If I do stock GSP it’ll go on the back wall, I’ve been digging the look of that! 

banasophia

I’m new to the hobby myself and switched from the Hydor Koralia 240 to the MP10 after only a few weeks mainly due to the low profile but also the variable speeds. I’ve been very happy with the decision so far, only wish I’d checked craigslist/Facebook/local reefing groups first because I’ve seen several people posting theirs for good prices when getting out of the hobby after a short run. 

Nocturnal
13 hours ago, Subsea said:

It took 5 years from video to pictures taken today.   One the last picture which is right rear corner.  This are is very shaded but the purple mat spread and has covered 40% of right end glass.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I took a second look at mine last night and it is indeed spreading. All that GSP has to be doing a solid job keeping your water clean too. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Nocturnal said:

I took a second look at mine last night and it is indeed spreading. All that GSP has to be doing a solid job keeping your water clean too. 

37 minutes ago, Nocturnal said:

Ken Felderman research showed that a mature biofilter (bacteria, algae, macro, and coral) sequester nutrients to grow their body mass.  If we nurtured the right ecosystem, then we have a thriving living reef.  If we did not nurture the direction of our ecosystem, we could end up with a septic tank or an algae turf scrubber.

• Like 1
Raindog3030

I dig your rock-scape!  Excellent choices in equipment as well, I'll be following along, excited to see where you go with this build!

Also, welcome to the Salty Side ;)

• Like 1
Segalplayer
18 hours ago, Tnalp said:

Wish I would have tilted the rock just a bit more back.... I feel like with growth, the scape is too steep and will cause shadowing. We’ll see with time.. thanks tho! I did run my ADA Pro razor along glass and it cleans perfectly well without hitting! So I’m stoked. My temp is fluctuating between 78-79. Mainly due to my room getting a little warm during the day but never drops lower than 78. I did order the 75w but I was told it was over kill so I canceled that order and re ordered the 50w. The fug was mainly because of my “jumping into a hobby so I have to have it all” impulse searching aha. I’m a geek for equip! I’ll get a Mp10 once the tank is cycled. Next thing on the wish list is a Tunze nano ATO! 

If I do stock GSP it’ll go on the back wall, I’ve been digging the look of that! 

I had the same thought with the tunze nano ato and bought it from brs. after getting it I realized it was a $100 float valve...at which point I returned the item and bought the tunze ato with optical sensor (3155). I have been using this one and it keeps my level perfect. I use a tunze 9001 and it is very finicky with the water level. The optical sensor has not overflowed my skimmer once and I check multiple times a day to make sure the level is perfect on the skimmer. Highly recommend! 

On 5/8/2018 at 11:16 PM, banasophia said:

I’m new to the hobby myself and switched from the Hydor Koralia 240 to the MP10 after only a few weeks mainly due to the low profile but also the variable speeds. I’ve been very happy with the decision so far, only wish I’d checked craigslist/Facebook/local reefing groups first because I’ve seen several people posting theirs for good prices when getting out of the hobby after a short run. 

Im glad to hear you're having success with the mp10 makes me want one more, i have been keeping an eye out on the forums and craigs!

18 hours ago, Raindog3030 said:

I dig your rock-scape!  Excellent choices in equipment as well, I'll be following along, excited to see where you go with this build!

Also, welcome to the Salty Side ;)

Thank you!

9 hours ago, Segalplayer said:

I had the same thought with the tunze nano ato and bought it from brs. after getting it I realized it was a $100 float valve...at which point I returned the item and bought the tunze ato with optical sensor (3155). I have been using this one and it keeps my level perfect. I use a tunze 9001 and it is very finicky with the water level. The optical sensor has not overflowed my skimmer once and I check multiple times a day to make sure the level is perfect on the skimmer. Highly recommend! 

After spending some time looking into ATO systems, i do believe the 3155 is the best way to go. cheap insurance is the way i look at it. im on the second floor so i wouldn't want any overfilling 

• Like 2
Segalplayer
11 hours ago, Tnalp said:

Im glad to hear you're having success with the mp10 makes me want one more, i have been keeping an eye out on the forums and craigs!

Thank you!

After spending some time looking into ATO systems, i do believe the 3155 is the best way to go. cheap insurance is the way i look at it. im on the second floor so i wouldn't want any overfilling 

Dope glad to hear! just set it to nano when you get it! B)

• Like 1

Ran into the intake universal skimmer. Decided to give it a try. One thing I did notice is that it does drop the water level in the rear chambers. Kinda sketchy I would say without a ATO. I even tried to lower it to where it would skim and have a comfortable level back there.. might remove it until I get the tunze

CABE2693-3A64-4F1C-8C8D-BB02DE202869.thumb.jpeg.dcd65eabb847151074c6a23b78e38b9e.jpeg

68C21995-AAB8-41DA-B43E-B842839F975D.thumb.jpeg.2ecf8e1bd4c3224c8e1d79a398b05c12.jpeg

E0D8E6D3-ADCF-4AD7-BF70-F5FC931A613E.thumb.jpeg.1c0e2a61f0f9cbaecf02e1fb42265acf.jpeg

Forgot I had a media bag so I threw on the 8 marine pure balls into the bag I had and stuffed it in the middle chambe. Lowered the heater also. 

DF75AF0D-7868-401D-A1E2-E227658C5BEC.thumb.jpeg.dcbc5a2a831ae41bccc38f8290222494.jpeg

Dave, I believe that’s his name, was at inter.zoo the past week so I have yet to receive my light but it shouldn’t be much longer

• Like 1
Segalplayer
56 minutes ago, Tnalp said:

Ran into the intake universal skimmer. Decided to give it a try. One thing I did notice is that it does drop the water level in the rear chambers. Kinda sketchy I would say without a ATO. I even tried to lower it to where it would skim and have a comfortable level back there.. might remove it until I get the tunze

CABE2693-3A64-4F1C-8C8D-BB02DE202869.thumb.jpeg.dcd65eabb847151074c6a23b78e38b9e.jpeg

68C21995-AAB8-41DA-B43E-B842839F975D.thumb.jpeg.2ecf8e1bd4c3224c8e1d79a398b05c12.jpeg

E0D8E6D3-ADCF-4AD7-BF70-F5FC931A613E.thumb.jpeg.1c0e2a61f0f9cbaecf02e1fb42265acf.jpeg

Forgot I had a media bag so I threw on the 8 marine pure balls into the bag I had and stuffed it in the middle chambe. Lowered the heater also. 

DF75AF0D-7868-401D-A1E2-E227658C5BEC.thumb.jpeg.dcbc5a2a831ae41bccc38f8290222494.jpeg

Dave, I believe that’s his name, was at inter.zoo the past week so I have yet to receive my light but it shouldn’t be much longer

the water level in the back drops so you add more water to get it to the appropriate level  in the rear. its the same idea as the stock skimmer on the tank but I like my inTank one. I have yet to glue it but I will soon as if you are using the clips and they move it will jack the water levels. 

On 5/8/2018 at 2:09 AM, Tnalp said:

I never thought about rolling around in it.  Could be fun.  For certain GSP is beautiful.

In nano tanks where longevity is not as much concern,  nutrient recycling may not be an issue, but to me, nutrient recycling is what makes this hobby real to me.  Nature is very efficient at processing energy and food.  As best I can, I emulate nature.

Recent studies show that 60% of nutritional energy are tied up in the “microbial loop”.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2017/9/aafeature

Nothing much has happened. Still waiting on my light/tank to cycle, so in the meantime I ordered a random flow genorator along with the attachment. I did notice that surface agitation is comapltely got, biut I fee that the flow is much more smooth and random. Comparing it to the straight beam that was being shot out before. 

7DA19BFB-5B04-435B-A6B3-AED7FDF95156.thumb.jpeg.e75100e877a656d8f1b4f82550937fea.jpeg

82D21E5B-4C9A-48EA-89BC-3958408B8BC2.thumb.jpeg.9fd74110a78abae04d25cfab5f11502a.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Very cool, I was checking out the rfg and wasn’t sure, I heard it reduces the power of the return pump and you have to upsize the pump to get the same force as the straight nozzle... 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Smackers4 said:

Very cool, I was checking out the rfg and wasn’t sure, I heard it reduces the power of the return pump and you have to upsize the pump to get the same force as the straight nozzle... 

I’ve heard the opposite. Spin streams reduce the flow.. these don’t? Hmmm