Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

what is this

ihglifelol

ihglifelol

i got a live rock and i saw this little guy. I first thought it was some sort of tuber. but it has no shell. it just closes in the rock. i dont think it is a hydroid as it hasnt bud in the past month.

any idea what it is

20180503_073355.jpg

aptasia or ball anemone would be my likely guesses at this point. If it had not been out before it could have been hiding in a hole and lost most of the pigment. Likely will want to remove it.

Nocturnal

Color suggested ball anemone but there aren't any tips. It does have the same shape as aiptasia. I'd nuke it to be safe. Go ahead and take that whole rock out and remove the algae while you are at it. Scrub it a bit and then use peroxide.

Raindog3030
1 minute ago, Nocturnal said:

Color suggested ball anemone but there aren't any tips. It does have the same shape as aiptasia. I'd nuke it to be safe.

I have a similarly white/clear aiptasia in my reef atm, little bugger survived the dip...in any case, I think that if they haven't had much light, they can be pale/bleached.

Definitely not hydroids though, had those as well...hydroids have a very distinct "stick" body, they look like evil dandelions...evil immortal jellyfish dandelions...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
mndfreeze

There are a ton of different shapes and sizes of hydroids, just FYI. There are ones that look like little nem shapes, but they are TIINNNNNYYY like, copepod sized small.

ihglifelol
22 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Holy hair algae batman. @ihglifelol did you ever get a better light? Or still buying corals and putting em under that freshwater-algae light? 

i changed it. that is aquacultured rubble that i got. i wanted one with tons of algae for letuce nudis and other animals that rely on hair algae as a meal. My cuc likes to hang out on the glass, odd. i emailed my lfs and they said baby jellyfish, idk realy if it is. I have changed my light so my corals are happy

ihglifelol

it hasnt done anything bad to my tank. cuz its so small, the food is hard for it to eat. it dosnt sting. my shrimp steals food of it XD.

it only killed a hitchhiking barnicle next to it. i think its a ball anemony, LFS said baby jellyfish polyp.been for months, never grown. if aiptasia maybe use aiptasia-x

mndfreeze

A ball nem will have obvious big balls at the end of each tentacle.  Also called a strawberry nem.  You can google some pictures and see if its an obvious match or not fairly easy.  aiptasia has longish wispy pointy tentacles.

HarryPotter
33 minutes ago, ihglifelol said:

i changed it. that is aquacultured rubble that i got. i wanted one with tons of algae for letuce nudis and other animals that rely on hair algae as a meal. My cuc likes to hang out on the glass, odd. i emailed my lfs and they said baby jellyfish, idk realy if it is. I have changed my light so my corals are happy

What light is it? Have a photo? 

• 2 weeks later...