ReefCleaners.org

Any recommendations for an Auto Top Up System

MK1623

Sailingeric

I have the Tunze and it works great.  Easy to set up and it the LED color display on the controller is good for taking a quick look to know where your water level is at.  I find that it kicks on often which is good knowing that the water level is not getting too low before it starts which helps keep the salinity stable. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Sailingeric said:

I have the Tunze and it works great.  Easy to set up and it the LED color display on the controller is good for taking a quick look to know where your water level is at.  I find that it kicks on often which is good knowing that the water level is not getting too low before it starts which helps keep the salinity stable. 

Thank you!  OK, I will probably get a Tunze Osmolator Universal!  Thank you!  

10 minutes ago, falcooo said:

Tunze nano works great for me!

Thank you.  Actually, I thought I would buy a Tunze Nano, too because my tank is small but a Tunze Osmolator Universal  has two sensors.  So, I am thinking to get a Tunze Osmolator Universal.  Thank you!  Your comment assured that Tunze might be a good choice.  Thank you.  

• Like 1

I had the nano and the controller crapped out on me after a year. It’s a bit more pricey but also has two sensors, actual sensors not float switches, the IM hydrofill. I’ve only had it a bit so I can’t give a long term “this thing is ####ing bulletproof” recommendation. It’s worked great so far though. And the titanium sensors over the float switches is a great plus. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

I had the nano and the controller crapped out on me after a year. It’s a bit more pricey but also has two sensors, actual sensors not float switches, the IM hydrofill. I’ve only had it a bit so I can’t give a long term “this thing is ####ing bulletproof” recommendation. It’s worked great so far though. And the titanium sensors over the float switches is a great plus. 

Thank you very much.  I had a quick search of hydrofill and its price is one-third of Tunze.   So, I do a bit more research on it.  Thank you very much indeed.  

I run the Tunze on my larger tank. The fill sensor is a little large so make sure you have room other wise the nano would be the way to go. Works like a champ the pump is a little loud but it’s not like it’s running all the time. On my bedroom tank that sits 2 feet from my head at night. IM NUVO 20 I run the smart ATO micro. Thing hasn’t given me one ounce of trouble has done whit it is supposed to and worked flawlessly. Pump is considerably quieter and the sensor it tiny. Only one sensor though so take that into consideration as well.

• Like 2

Got the Tunze Nano at first I was absolutely terrified I was going to flood my room but everything seems to be working well now

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jake270 said:

I run the Tunze on my larger tank. The fill sensor is a little large so make sure you have room other wise the nano would be the way to go. Works like a champ the pump is a little loud but it’s not like it’s running all the time. On my bedroom tank that sits 2 feet from my head at night. IM NUVO 20 I run the smart ATO micro. Thing hasn’t given me one ounce of trouble has done whit it is supposed to and worked flawlessly. Pump is considerably quieter and the sensor it tiny. Only one sensor though so take that into consideration as well.

Thank you very much.  I will think about them.  The smart ATO micro sounds good; small and quiet but it has got one sensor!  Nothing is perfect! Having two sensors would give a bit of peace of mind for just in case.  I think that I can put up with the sound of the motor as it would work once or twice a day, right?

2 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

I have the AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro. My first ATO after 15 years in the hobby... I love this thing!  

Thank you!!!  I will think about it!  Thank you!  

53 minutes ago, Zeal0201 said:

Got the Tunze Nano at first I was absolutely terrified I was going to flood my room but everything seems to be working well now

I am also a bit worried.  That is why I thought two sensors would be nicer.  So, Has your the Tunze Nano been working well without any issues? 

3 hours ago, Jake270 said:

You said "The fill sensor is a little large" but it is not huge and its diameter is around 10cm, right?  I think that I can find space for that.  

1 hour ago, MK1623 said:

I am also a bit worried.  That is why I thought two sensors would be nicer.  So, Has your the Tunze Nano been working well without any issues? 

No issues, Im doing a weekly cleaning on the float valve just a dip in rodi water and some scrubbing. All seems to be working well tho

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Zeal0201 said:

No issues, Im doing a weekly cleaning on the float valve just a dip in rodi water and some scrubbing. All seems to be working well tho

Thank you for sharing your experience!!!!!!  

Tunze 3155. Sucker is pretty much bulletproof versus the nano version that I've used before in the past.

Another option is the Neptune ATK, which is priced pretty much the same as the Tunze. 

• Like 1
holy carp

I'm using the IceCap ATO.  Like the AutoAqua, it uses an optical sensor, but has a second optical sensor as backup to cut off the pump and sound an alarm.  It has a very small profile in the sump relative to the Neptune or Tunze.

The device housing and buttons feels a bit cheap and plasticky, but it works very well.  I did mount the backup sensor separately to allow for more sump fill level variance when I shut off the return pump for maintenance like water changes.

I think it's going for $125.

• Like 1
Sailingeric
3 hours ago, MK1623 said:

I think that I can put up with the sound of the motor as it would work once or twice a day, right?

Mine comes on several times a day but just for short periods of time.  It is not loud. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sailingeric said:

Mine comes on several times a day but just for short periods of time.  It is not loud. 

Oh, so it comes on several times a day?  But I think that I can put up with it as it should be not too long.  Thank you for letting me know your experience!  Much appreciated.  

Yeah the Neptune ATK is a pain unless you have the Neptune and mine did not work properly out of the box. Customer service was good but shouldn't have a problem with a brand new $200 piece of equipment. I hear if you have the apex it will work better but you need to change some settings around to get it to function properly. Which in my opinion is BS. Yeah I mean I haven't measured the tunze fill sensor but it should fit in most AIO, don't know what type of tank you have. If you are running a sump I cant imagine it would be a problem at all, just something to consider if you running an AIO. Comparing to the ATO Micro the sensor is huge but the ATO micro is tiny. I run the IM nuvo 20 and the regular tunze fill sensor would not fit in the rear compartment where my return pump is due to the return lines being in the way. The ATO micro can fit anywhere and has been just as reliable for me.  

• Like 1

Dear all,

I got a Tunze Osmolator Universal, and it is working beautifully!  It is a bit noisy, but I can hear it is working.  So,  it is good in that sense. It was not too big for my small 60-litre nano aquarium.  The best part is that it is very accurate as it will start to work even when I take about 100ml of the tank water for a salinity test.  I love it and I am very happy!  Thank you very much for helping me to decide.