Cultivated Reef

Corals you can’t keep alive?

Asureef

1 minute ago, 1891Bro said:

On a long enough timeline? All of them. 

😅

In that case, I have only kept green nepthea alive. The only coral that has been with me over 10 years from my 1st tank.

Red_Blenny
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Xenia for me as well. I love that stuff... I keep trying and trying... damn it I will try again 😑

Same, I'm on my 3rd frag 😖

1967type1

Euphyllia keep dying in my tank. I used to be able to keep them just fine but now they just melt away as soon as they hit the water it seems.

• Like 1

The trick to xenia- they like light and flow.

Not sure where the low light theory on them comes from because every xenia I've had, loves light.

The xenia I have had do poorly were in lower light areas.

I find some euphyllia hit and miss. I've had greatness from some while others just aren't happy in any of my tanks.

• Like 1

Jason Fox Jackolantern lepto. I can’t keep it alive in my tank. The third piece I bought directly from Jason Fox at a frag swap. It grows like crazy at my LFS. 

Also duncan corals. They do great for about 2-3 months then die back and all flesh gone in 2-3 days. 

• Like 1
sublunary

Acans. Every one I've had has done well and sprouted new heads and given me hope, only to suddenly give up on life for no apparent reason. That's why I'm not buying any this tank...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
mitten_reef
On 5/2/2018 at 1:13 PM, Ebn said:

Red dragon. Does fine for months, growing from frags to mini colony (3") and then white stick the next day. It's happened twice already. I'll give it another shot one of these days. 

two year old red dragon started from frag, went down to nothing in about 2 weeks. the death came in 2 waves. still hoping that one branch tip will survive. 

41858421791_8db5d78b3f_c.jpg

here it was nice and healthy last month:

40168927885_1341977982_c.jpg

• Sad 3
LogicalReefs

Anemones. But it’s probbaly my fault since I always put them in a new tank and don’t have the patience for my tank to mature. Lol

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

two year old red dragon started from frag, went down to nothing in about 2 weeks. the death came in 2 waves. still hoping that one branch tip will survive. 

41858421791_8db5d78b3f_c.jpg

here it was nice and healthy last month:

40168927885_1341977982_c.jpg

I hear this a lot about the red dragon. I have a frag growing well so I expect it to die once it gets a decent size. Supposed to be sensitive and the first to react to any change. 

Dreichler

I can kee just about anything except acros and any other of those branching/tabling SPS.  I have no problem keeping other SPS like encrusting or monti.  Upsetting because I’d love to keep a bunch of insane acros but the tissues just recede :(

biophilia

Rasta zoanthids. I have probably close to 400 polyps of 20+ different kinds of zoas and palythoas in my nano tank and numerous SPS (acropora encluded) doing great, but every time I buy a rasta zoa frag it grows 3 or 4 polyps over the course of a few weeks and then melts away completely at random.

biophilia
On 5/4/2018 at 7:22 AM, Rob22 said:

Also duncan corals. They do great for about 2-3 months then die back and all flesh gone in 2-3 days. 

@Rob22

Out of curiosity, what are your magnesium levels at? I battled tissue recession and slow growth with my duncans until I started maintaining magnesium at 1400+ a month ago for an unrelated reason. All of the sudden, my duncans are encrusting and have sprouted a bunch of new heads.

biophilia
On 5/2/2018 at 4:46 PM, Lypto said:

Any kind of caleurpa seems to melt for me. Euphyllia, especially frogspawn seems to hate my tank as well.

@Lypto
Both withered away in the same way for me until I started dosing potassium nitrate to maintain my NO3 level at 10-20ppm FWIW...

A Little Blue
6 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Picked up some more Xenia today, like the 20th try in 10 yrs probs... wish me luck fingerscrossed

I’m not even trying with Xenias anymore. If they don’t die on their own, I will find the way to kill it. 

• Like 2
RayWhisperer
17 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Picked up some more Xenia today, like the 20th try in 10 yrs probs... wish me luck fingerscrossed

You know what’s going to happen, right? This will be the one that becomes the weed we all know it to be. Then you will hate yourself for introducing the pestilence to your tank. 

Ive has it do well, or die. Then one day I set up a new tank and wanted to try it again. Fast forward a year later. I couldn’t cut it out fast enough. It eventually took over the entire tank. It’s a hideous weed that tantalizes you with it’s seductive wave. Then, when you least expect it, it ruins everything you’ve worked so hard for. 

As for corals i cant keep alive. Anything from Fiji. Not that we have to worry about that for a while, anyway.

• Like 3

Look at my 150 gallon, I could never grow xenia.  REMOVE IT NOW!

For me,  tenuis, and acans.  Acans probably because I don't target feed,  Tenuis because I suck at true stability.  :)

• Like 1