inTank Media Baskets

Corals you can’t keep alive?

Asureef

Come on, I know each of us have a coral we can’t seem to keep rather it’s SPS, LPS, NPS, or softies.  

What can’t you keep or have trouble keeping alive? 

For me, it’s always been ricordea florida, they either melt away slowly or just living.  I could never get them to thrive.  I envy you guys with those nice ric gardens.

Gsp. It's a weed for most but I can't keep it in any of my tanks. Lasts for weeks then just slowly goes downhill.

Zoas- hit and miss. Most have been miss.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Sailingeric

I think I have lost my first.  A brain coral that I just seemed to be fading color/ melting and not eating.  Moved it to a QT and this morning it all but looks dead.  I got it cheap and I will just use it as a learning experience.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
10 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Gsp. It's a weed for most but I can't keep it in any of my tanks. Lasts for weeks then just slowly goes downhill.

Zoas- hit and miss. Most have been miss.

Same here. GSP just doesn’t like me. 

• Like 1

Surprised you guys are having trouble with GSP.  I used to keep some just for flow patterns indication and kept it trimmed.  

A Little Blue
4 minutes ago, Asureef said:

Surprised you guys are having trouble with GSP.  I used to keep some just for flow patterns indication and kept it trimmed.  

I’m just not a fan. I usually get a piece after setting up new tank to test the water and then beat the s##t out of it. The last one came on the rock and it host huge bristle worm. So I kill them both. 😈

• Like 1
TheBig053
38 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

GSP. After multiple beatings with a stick, they mysteriously die on me. 

28 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Teach me your ways! Please? :) 

Sailingeric

So far my GSP is doing fine other than my turbo snail keeps knocking it off the rock I have it on.  Will glue it one more time.  I have been battling cyano and after moving my brain coral out it it was all gone this morning. I wonder if it was feeding the nutrients that keep the cyano going with it melting... fingers crossed that the cyano stays gone.  

• Like 1

Red dragon. Does fine for months, growing from frags to mini colony (3") and then white stick the next day. It's happened twice already. I'll give it another shot one of these days. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

zoas/palys, It's been like 2 years since I had any. Just don't want to try again, cheap ones are ugly and the nice ones are too expensive to risk lol.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Ebn said:

Red dragon. Does fine for months, growing from frags to mini colony (3") and then white stick the next day. It's happened twice already. I'll give it another shot one of these days. 

Haha... you and me both. Idk why but they are so darn sensitive for me.  

A Little Blue

Some ppl mentioned mushrooms and zoas. Well, one mashroom and few zoa colonies that I have, were struggling. Ofcause, many experienced reefers recommended less light, flow etc. Eventually, I got tired of trying and placed them higher, more flow and in case of zoas..... at the very top (to get a taste of burning hell). What you know...... they are doing spectacularly. It doesn’t mean that I am happy. Real-estate in smallish tank is extremely valuable and they got the prime location. 

2 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

Teach me your ways! Please? :) 

I wish I could. I have no idea the cause.

Everything else including sps were great but the gsp eventually close up and never open again.

Now I did kill off shrooms using aiptasia x applied to it directly. It worked.

• Like 1
Sailingeric
5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Does macroalgae in the DT also count?

I can't keep that either.

I cannot speak for it in the DT but I have some chaeto in my sump and it started off about the size of a golf ball and now it is probably about the size of the basket ball in just a couple months.  Who needs at $100-$200 refugium light when a $10 LED grow light from Home Depot does the trick.  

Raindog3030

Unfortunately, my Ricordea Florida have not been doing great, they generally look happy until the platygyra gets a hold of one, they have never put a foot down and are the only corals (anemones) that haven't shown any real growth in our reef.

12scanlon

So far Montipora for me... GSP I have to Frag and give to my LFS because it grows so fast in my tank. Zoanthids do great also. Also mushrooms do great. Idk I’d rather have great success with my monti than the GSP, zoanthids or shrooms. Also I’ve never had a montipora cap. This  is the encrusting type. It’s still alive just doesn’t look good and not happy.