Coral Vue Hydros

convice for zoanthids

ihglifelol

ihglifelol

hi, i realy want some zoanthids, jet my parents are afraid of the palytoxins. I wont frag the zoas and wont be rough with them (the main reasons they release it).

They say im to "young" to handle these toxic corals

my LFS is selling a nice piece of zoa rock with alien eye zoas about 60 polyps for 30$. a good sale.

Any way i can convince them so i can buy zoas.

(i been stuck with mushrooms, xenia, star polyp and leathers for softies)

Can't help ya here bud. But what I can say is that I'm 30 now and I can't think of ONE thing in my life that my parents told me that would've steered me wrong. I wish I would've listened to everything they told me not to do LOL. Take that advice for what it's worth. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, ihglifelol said:

hi, i realy want some zoanthids, jet my parents are afraid of the palytoxins. I wont frag the zoas and wont be rough with them (the main reasons they release it).

They say im to "young" to handle these toxic corals

my LFS is selling a nice piece of zoa rock with alien eye zoas about 60 polyps for 30$. a good sale.

Any way i can convince them so i can buy zoas.

(i been stuck with mushrooms, xenia, star polyp and leathers for softies)

I’ll tell you what I tell my kids. Get a job and get out. The oldest is seven but I wanna start early. Listen to your folks. Stay in school, don’t smoke, get a job and get out. Master those four steps and you can drink palytoxin and no one can stop you. 

Your folks know what’s best and they pay the bills. Show a little respect and follow their wishes. 

• Like 2

Palytoxin is not a joke. It's one of the worst toxins out there. Fragging is not the only cause of exposure.

Your parents are just watching out for you, possibly the whole household. 

find another coral to add until you get to make your own rules in your own home.

A Little Blue

Can’t blame them for being concerned. 

Thats our job as parents. Put them at ease and pick something else. 

banasophia

Zoas are so nice, but I find that committing to keeping them out of my tank just forces me to research all the other beautiful alternatives out there. I don’t want to have to wear protective gear to be safe working in my tank.

Check out some multi colored clove polyps. Ricordia mushrooms Florida and Yuma are stunning... and worth big bucks when they split! Good luck 

Your folks mean well.

• Like 1
ihglifelol
14 minutes ago, jambon said:

Check out some multi colored clove polyps. Ricordia mushrooms Florida and Yuma are stunning... and worth big bucks when they split! Good luck 

Your folks mean well.

my LFS sells extreamly tiny ricordeas, about the size of a dime. I am looking for a centerpiece coral. so maybe get a shrimp to pare with it. will be alot mores stunning

ihglifelol

This convinced me to not get zoas for now.  I can go for the other polyp like corals like GSP, and clove. I can wait for the LFS to get a shipment of softies.

well their GSP are huge frags so maybe will take over rock.  Their anemone selection is large but they are small. They sell small ultra anemonies a little bigger than quarters.

maybe a ricordea florida. or an sps. I dont want lps becauze my tank is half lps coral half sps and softies. any coral ideas

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef

Did you get the light and rock situation taken care of first? I’d worry more about that than getting new coral. Otherwise what you have now might not make it that long. 

I was just wondering the same thing... not sure how stable this system is yet. 

Time is also important... it's best not to rush things too much.

Fake news...

Not all zoas have the same lvl of toxic.  I must have pulled around 50 heads off a rock earlier this week. Now the palys, I don’t mess with.  If they have a sand like or rough skin, IE: PURPLE DEATH are toxic.

Nocturnal

Just remind them that you keep a fragile glass box full of saltwater with dozens of electrical devices plugged into it.

• Like 1
ihglifelol
9 hours ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Did you get the light and rock situation taken care of first? I’d worry more about that than getting new coral. Otherwise what you have now might not make it that long. 

my lights are fine. I have a duncan and acan and gorgonian

They don't release it. It comes out through damages to its tissue, so as long as you leave them be it's fine. I'm not gonna speak against your parents but make them do some research maybe they'll realize you don't just get toxicated by keeping a tank with zoas. People that you read about in news are really sloppy people who show no respect at all. Trust me there is no hazard if you have the slightest common sense. 

Wear goggles and don't put your hands in the tank if you have wounds (which you shouldn't without zoas either)

2 minutes ago, ihglifelol said:

oh, thx. my dad didnt know so he will get me a 1 polyp frag. HE will expect it so no major or minor wounds.

1 polyp :D okay.. it's a start!

ihglifelol

they have a very fun suprize polyp where your giving a live rock piece (bout the size of a ping pong ball) with an uknown zoa. its fun because you wont what you get

they usualy have 1-2 polyps 

ihglifelol

anth they have these green hitchhiking zoas they sell for $0.50 for 1 polyp frag

maybe not the best as might damaged the zoa