Cultivated Reef

HOB Filter Medi

FLARGUE

Do any of you maintain a HOB type filter for your nano reef? I've been using an Aquaclear 50 and with so much space, i'm wondering what you guys prefer as filter media? Do you use a protein skimmer in conjunction? Looking forward to hearing your input.

I did on my 55g and my 15g.

I used filter floss that I cut to size and changed twice a week.

Carbon which I bagged myself.  I prefer seachem matrix. I like the shape, size, and next to no dust.

I like bagging my own because I use smaller quantities changed every 2 weeks. 

Purigen

I would siphon out any particles in the filter ever 2 weeks and cleaned the filter completely every 2 months.

This keeps the filter working at its best and reducing any nutrient issues.

That sounds like a great setup.

I'm using filter floss, and Purigen occasionally. I've started to get a little green hair algae, so I just started running Phosbond too. I still have a few square inches of space so maybe I'll try some seachem matrix.

Purigen is great. It last until it goes Brown so using it regularly is best.

Be careful with phos reducers, they can strip a tank of p04 which you don't want.

What do you recommend regarding phosphate reducers.

Can i run them, continue my weekly 25% water changes, and just feed my corals and fish more often?

Or do people recommend cycling the phos reducers?

Most will recommend to use phos reducers as needed in small quantities rather than regular basis.

While using them, phos needs testing regularly and with a reliable tester like Hanna or salifert.

• 1 month later...

I'm running floss and chemi blue nano in my HOB AC20, used to run chaeto with a light as well, but my tank has been doing much better since removing it.

• Like 1